River Halladale

VetteG

Reaction score
Fished the Halladale many times, must be 30 since I scattered my ashes on beat 3, his favourite. Our Uncle and Aunt used to have the Melvich hotel so it was a no brainer that we would fish all over that area. Happy days! And tight lines to those of you who are lucky enough to fish it this season.
G

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Never fished this wee gem so when an opportunity came up yesterday for 3 rods and cottage mid August
I snapped at it and secured the let.
I love the Far North and really looking forward to this season, always providing someone doesn't put a spoke
in my wheels.:(

You did well to pick up an August week.

We’ll do our usual best to leave as many fish in the river as possible, so it should be hoaching by the time you get there😄.

Tight lines!

keirstream

Reaction score
maybe why I have never seen anyone fishing wearing a kilt
Aye,it doesn't happen often.
I do remember though attending film shows and exhibitions by my old friend Peter Anderson.
He used to do promotional videos when he was with Daiwa and then afterwards striking off on his own.
He was always filmed up to his goolies in some Heelan burn or other giving it big licks at all times of the season.:eek:
In later years, when I got to know him and fished with him I realised it was all just a gimmick. Plus 2s and long socks
all the time. First time I ever realised that marketing was all about spin.:D
Its a great pity these old videos aren't still about.

lax0341

Reaction score
Aye,it doesn't happen often.
I do remember though attending film shows and exhibitions by my old friend Peter Anderson.
He used to do promotional videos when he was with Daiwa and then afterwards striking off on his own.
He was always filmed up to his goolies in some Heelan burn or other giving it big licks at all times of the season.:eek:
In later years, when I got to know him and fished with him I realised it was all just a gimmick. Plus 2s and long socks
all the time. First time I ever realised that marketing was all about spin.:D
Its a great pity these old videos aren't still about.
I‘ve met Peter Anderson and a party of really hard fishing and drinking guys at Maloneys Lodge on the banks of the river Moy in Ireland. We all were catching a lot of fish there in those days and drinking quite hard.
Peter was wearing his kilt in the morning and in the evening but took him off during the fishing hours because it was not very comfortable to use in the waders.:D:D:D

keirstream

Reaction score
I‘ve met Peter Anderson and a party of really hard fishing and drinking guys at Maloneys Lodge on the banks of the river Moy in Ireland. We all were catching a lot of fish there in those days and drinking quite hard.
Peter was wearing his kilt in the morning and in the evening but took him off during the fishing hours because it was not very comfortable to use in the waders.:D:D:D
I went to Eddie's a few times with Peter, Gary Scott and others.
Eddie was always up to his nonsense and we were always on our guard for his next piece of high jinks.
Foxford was a bit like the Wild West then and we always had a great time.
The lodge was always full of French and Germans and the deep freezes fuller still.:D

lax0341

Reaction score
I went to Eddie's a few times with Peter, Gary Scott and others.
Eddie was always up to his nonsense and we were always on our guard for his next piece of high jinks.
Foxford was a bit like the Wild West then and we always had a great time.
The lodge was always full of French and Germans and the deep freezes fuller still.:D
Great times...:cool::D I used to come there with a small party of friends before we moved over to Norway, Scotland and England for our annual pilgrimage. Sometimes we come back to Ireland now.:)

Last edited:

wormo

Reaction score
I'm meant to be going 1st week in May, depending on Wee Nicola etc. If there's no water there are some very good trout lochs in the area plus the usual estuaries etc.
I was up a couple years ago staying in John navers cottage on the banks of the lower naver , we got a day ticket for the halladale estuary, it was free and allowed you to keep 2 grilse and a couple sea trout which I found remarkable

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
When you up that way GK? I'm up middle 2 weeks of July.
Well hopefully

Last week of June FS. Just like you I’ve got my fingers & toes crossed. If we get a ‘no’ this year I think I might go covert; stash the car in a wood block and live under a poncho for a week.

Outside ablutions, night time fishing, Smothered in smidge and drowned in Whiskey - for the midges you understand

Shug Wilson

Reaction score
Well, we've all had our nightmare midge days, it's impossible to avoid the West Coast Flying Teeth.
You just have to pray for a constant breeze to stop them from doing what Kenneth McKeller describes here.

:D :D :D :D

Never fished this wee gem so when an opportunity came up yesterday for 3 rods and cottage mid August
I snapped at it and secured the let.
I love the Far North and really looking forward to this season, always providing someone doesn't put a spoke
in my wheels.:(
Hi Tom
I'm sure you will have a great time and its a bonny wee river indeed and the amount of fish that run it is quite amazing.
I have fished it in the spring as at the time there was no availability for a summer week so good on you getting the week in August.

3 years ago in July i managed to rent the Strathview Cottage for myself and the wife for a week and part of the deal is you can fish the tidal stretch for Salmon and Seatrout.

The river was on its bones at the time and the amount of fish that were moving in on each tide was quite spectacular.

Its on of those places when your there you don't want to go to sleep as there's always something happening around you.

If you managed to get Strathview in the rent you wont be disappointed fantastic setting looking up the river.

keirstream

Reaction score
Well, Turas a Bhradain was interesting tonight and certainly got the juices going.:D
1st week August on Dionard and 3rd week on Halladale, I wouldn't call the Queen my Auntie now.(y)
In total I am in the Far North for a month from Mid June till Mid August, there's a heck of a lot of top of water action to be had
amongst that little lot.
Wonder who's going to keep an eye on my tomatoes????
Who cares.:cool:

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
Well, Turas a Bhradain was interesting tonight and certainly got the juices going.:D
1st week August on Dionard and 3rd week on Halladale, I wouldn't call the Queen my Auntie now.(y)
In total I am in the Far North for a month from Mid June till Mid August, there's a heck of a lot of top of water action to be had
amongst that little lot.
Wonder who's going to keep an eye on my tomatoes????
Who cares.:cool:

mind and take the Alisdair's with you fish love them

lefthandup

Reaction score
I had a net on so did my young lad. He was fishing away quite happy and I couldn't understand why I was still getting feasted on.
Turned out son had a smidge midgie net and I had a mosquito net. The wee buggers were just crawling through the mesh.
Ended up with about 1000 of them trapped in the net flying around me head eating me alive :ROFLMAO:
Is that how you lost awe you hair ? 😂