River Forth

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Never had a fish in March other than a few small sea trout and not off the Forth! April for my earliest sea trout off the Forth and May for a salmon! I will stick to the trout lakes for my early sport and move to salmon when the fish really arrive. They are hard enough to catch when they are there never mind fishing for the mythical early Springer. It's too cold and I get enough blanks anyway!

wormo

Reaction score
Never had a fish in March other than a few small sea trout and not off the Forth! April for my earliest sea trout off the Forth and May for a salmon! I will stick to the trout lakes for my early sport and move to salmon when the fish really arrive. They are hard enough to catch when they are there never mind fishing for the mythical early Springer. It's too cold and I get enough blanks anyway!
many a moon ago I hooked and lost 2 very big spring fish in February 2 days apart ,
not a stones throw from where I'm sitting 1/4 mile below the pidgeon huts in the cornton both well into their 20s both broke my 8lb line and brought tears to my eyes
I guess it was around 1988 ish I was 13 or 14
I'll forget them , one was on a yellow belly the other the worm
I've seen February fish caught back then an i used to regularly catch finnock on small tobys down there too
if Martin c reads this he will mind the calamity of that springer my next door neighbour caught when I had to run back to the house for a net ,,,

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
I hope we will see those days again and the river will return to its glory days once more. I heard loads of stories and seen the pictures of some of those fish! Let hope it's not just part of history. Rivers and runs change but I really think there is room for concern now! All that and the river was legally and not so legally netted then.

keirstream

Reaction score
I'll be giving the Lower Teith 3 or 4 hours on Wednesday weather permitting.
There is always a chance that something is sneaking through.
Lower, cold water favours the bottom beats as it tends to slow fish up a bit.
Otherwise, I've caught them in the Leny with L.T.S. on them when I fished there
and only vapour trails lower down.
April offers a far more realistic chance of a fish, and usually a good one at that.(y)(y)

Bigroger

Reaction score
According to the Nature Scotland website, beavers are now well established on rivers Teith, Forth and Allan.

wormo

Reaction score
According to the Nature Scotland website, beavers are now well established on rivers Teith, Forth and Allan.
I have seen beaver activity on the teith but not on the forth yet apart from chewed debris floating past
likewise I see no beaver activity on the allan ,, yet....

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Several chewed trees at the meeting pool behind the army camp! I took several photos of them 2 years ago! No further signs I have noticed since! One of the farmers on the Forth asked for advice on how to protect his apple trees! So they are or were there, just never seen one yet!

K MacC

Reaction score
A pair of beavers have been spotted on Loch Lomond and the lower Endrick. These beasties must be intelligent and be able to catch a bus especially since they have managed to move about the country with ease!

rod n line

Reaction score
the raploch beaver would scare the life out you
Craig, a was born and grew up in the raploch. So, believe me. Theres no a beaver in the world that would scare me. Av seen some damn ugly horrible beavers. Av seen some that would eat you alive. And av seen some that have actually tried to smother me. But av enjoyed every last one of them. Ha! Ha! Ha!πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜„πŸ˜„

wormo

Reaction score
Craig, a was born and grew up in the raploch. So, believe me. Theres no a beaver in the world that would scare me. Av seen some damn ugly horrible beavers. Av seen some that would eat you alive. And av seen some that have actually tried to smother me. But av enjoyed every last one of them. Ha! Ha! Ha!πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜„πŸ˜„
ha ha raploch beavers are tame compared to over the water in the cornton
noo that's a new species all on its own

rod n line

Reaction score
ha ha raploch beavers are tame compared to over the water in the cornton
noo that's a new species all on its own
Alas, you could be right. Never managed to catch a cornton beaver. Although a did track one for a couple of months. But what a can tell you is, it was a sly elusive
devious creature. It would tease me and when a had it cornered it would fight like a tiger. Proved to be too big a contest and way beyond ma capabilities so gave up and went further afield hunting new species of beaver. A species that hopefully was more sympathetic to a young man's requirements. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰

lisbon1967

Reaction score
many a moon ago I hooked and lost 2 very big spring fish in February 2 days apart ,
not a stones throw from where I'm sitting 1/4 mile below the pidgeon huts in the cornton both well into their 20s both broke my 8lb line and brought tears to my eyes
I guess it was around 1988 ish I was 13 or 14
I'll forget them , one was on a yellow belly the other the worm
I've seen February fish caught back then an i used to regularly catch finnock on small tobys down there too
if Martin c reads this he will mind the calamity of that springer my next door neighbour caught when I had to run back to the house for a net ,,,
remember it well Craig Usain Bolt comes to mind

lisbon1967

Reaction score
No a bad place to be brought up in Harry (y)The only Loch in Scotland with Sharks in it . RapLOCH Remember your dad in Ivanhoe Place well. Did he not wear a deer stalker hat too ?

Last edited:

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
More rain and flooding scheduled for mid week. I assume she is fairly high at the moment. Not what we need now!

keirstream

Reaction score
Thats nearly a full month since opening day.
Since then, it hasn't been possible to have a cast on the Teith due to extreme temperatures, dangerous banks or 5 foot floods.
Wednesday looks like being more of the same.:(

rod n line

Reaction score
No a bad place to be brought up in Harry (y)The only Loch in Scotland with Sharks in it . RapLOCH Remember your dad in Ivanhoe Place well. Did he not wear a deer stalker hat too ?
Aye Martin. He always wore a deer stalker. Never went anywhere without it.
And aye, plenty sharks down there. Knew loads of them and was friends wi a few of them. Dont think a would have wanted to grow up anywhere else if am being honest. Every night there was a game of fitba on up the Remy. It could be two a side, it could be twelve a side. Pure magic.