River Forth

johnwest

Reaction score
Used to try and make them used old lead electrical wiring used to burst the sprats trying to clean them out and stick the lead tubing in, had to be celluloid and amyl acetate boy long before sniffing glue was invented that stuff was potent. Got a hold of old artillery protractors which when melted didn't dissolve the numbers and letters so mines
we're easy to spot but rubbishy compared to Tams and Jimmys two gents by the way Martin

rod n line

Reaction score
Patsy kaney used them a fair bit in the spring. No sure if he made them or if he got them from somebody else. Remember letting chick Lawson fish ma rod at the Kelty mouth a few years back. As I was up the tunnel.
He got two cracking springers on a golden sprat.
Aye, yer dad liked the sprat in the springtime as well Martin. Something a was never really into, but it certainly did the business.

rod n line

Reaction score
Talking about jock Galbraith. There was another character that liked the big hooks. The Hungarian big ollie. Plied his trade on the blue banks, but had a regular go at emptying the pool and was a resident in the cleikum in the hours of darkness. Like big jock, he wasnae afraid of an audience. Met him on a few occasions as I was going onto the blue banks first light on a Saturday morning when he was just leaving. And quite proud to show you 5, 6 or more fish in the boot of his car. No fear in him. Think that was why he got caught a few times. Think he got caught on the tweed. And am sure he got done on the blue banks as well. And maybe no as smart as big jock or some of the others that have been mentioned.

Dandy angler

Reaction score
Hoachy could sure fish the worm favourite spot up at the corner bumped in to him today stays not far from me he hasn't cast a line for about five year now was only fishing the Allan before that.
I used to see Hoachy all the time up the Allan. He could still pull the fish out. I fished through a pool with the fly, near Kinbuck a few years ago. Big fish turned in the pool. Up popped Hoachy with home made flying C and bingo 10lb sparkler , I was only at the bottom of the run as well. 🤣🤣. He's well named.🤣🤣🤣

cieran

Reaction score
Can anyone remember the guy that used to fish the piers with one arm,he had a special sling made up to hold the butt of his rod,could cast as far as anyone and caught his fare share too?must have been about 25 years ago?

Last edited:

Euan246

Reaction score
Hi there i have bought a youth season ticket should I get a tag and if so how do I get the tag

Euan246

Reaction score
Thank you
Out of interest why is it that you can keep one on the tieth and not the forth

keirstream

Reaction score
Because the Teith is CAT 1 but the Forth is CAT 2 which on its own does not preclude the taking of fish but because it is deemed a
"mixed stock" fishery Stirling Council were influenced (or persuaded) by the Forth Board to go full C & R.

wormo

Reaction score
Because the Teith is CAT 1 but the Forth is CAT 2 which on its own does not preclude the taking of fish but because it is deemed a
"mixed stock" fishery Stirling Council were influenced (or persuaded) by the Forth Board to go full C & R.
i think the issue of a getting a tag for the teith is pretty pointless in my opinion , certainly not a selling point , I cant fathom the reason behind it as both cat 1 & 2 rivers are deemed sustainable,
the likelyhood of catching a sub 7lb clean cock grilse on the forth is infinitely higher that on the teith ( at Callander )
it would be as going full catch and release like the rest of the system

keirstream

Reaction score
i think the issue of a getting a tag for the teith is pretty pointless in my opinion , certainly not a selling point , I cant fathom the reason behind it as both cat 1 & 2 rivers are deemed sustainable,
the likelyhood of catching a sub 7lb clean cock grilse on the forth is infinitely higher that on the teith ( at Callander )
it would be as going full catch and release like the rest of the system
Exactly Craig.
A piece of nonsense really.

Jock

Reaction score
Wonder how much permit money the Council lost with this misguided decision last year and will again this year? Total and utter abuse of the term "Mixed Stock Fishery" by those who produced the paper presented to the council. Councillor McPherson and his committee were effectively conned into the decision by a flawed argument in the paper presented to them. Why ? I don't know but I look forward to finding out and if need be I will be writing to the Committee to enlighten them of what I consider to be advice which was flawed, misleading and not in the best interest of the Council. Does not say much for those currently running the fishery on behalf of the council when they either lack knowledge of, or a willingness to deal with, issues way more important on the beat than designating it a mixed stock fishery in order that a paying season ticket holder cannot use their 1 tag on a fish from the Forth beat. Strange very strange but then again, in the words of Forrest Gump......Stupid is as Stupid does.

keirstream

Reaction score
Wonder how much permit money the Council lost with this misguided decision last year and will again this year? Total and utter abuse of the term "Mixed Stock Fishery" by those who produced the paper presented to the council. Councillor McPherson and his committee were effectively conned into the decision by a flawed argument in the paper presented to them. Why ? I don't know but I look forward to finding out and if need be I will be writing to the Committee to enlighten them of what I consider to be advice which was flawed, misleading and not in the best interest of the Council. Does not say much for those currently running the fishery on behalf of the council when they either lack knowledge of, or a willingness to deal with, issues way more important on the beat than designating it a mixed stock fishery in order that a paying season ticket holder cannot use their 1 tag on a fish from the Forth beat. Strange very strange but then again, in the words of Forrest Gump......Stupid is as Stupid does.
Jock, it is termed a "Mixed Stock Fishery"because that is what it is.
Of that there is no argument. I'm not exactly sure if the Old Forth is a CAT 3 fishery (that certainly would be an abuse of a category) but regardless, there was absolutely no requirement for Stirling Council to introduce full C & R to the Forth, quite the reverse indeed as legislation states that CAT 2 rivers need only provide a written management plan in place to comply. Otherwise, exactly the same as CAT 1.
Now then, lets look at the Teith, a CAT 1 river so no restriction on killing fish as it is deemed, on paper and research anyway, a healthy, self sustainable entity providing a migratory fish resource that has a surplus well able to be cropped. The only beat on the river that has a mandatory limit in place of 1 fish is the Callander water. Why?
Cllr. McPherson does not know the 1st thing about salmon fishing or conservation.
But, like his party colleagues in the R.A.C.C.E. Committee during the ultimate vote on the W.F.R., he would have voted along party lines.
We all know what his party's view is on Field Sports and Salmon Fishing, don't we?
Oh, and the small matter of "persuasion" from the Fishery Board who have done nothing but milk taxpayers money from the Council for nothing in return. Ever.:(

Jock

Reaction score
Morning Tam. Can of worms the term "Mixed Stock Fishery" That said, the Scottish Government through its Salmon Conservation Policy and river classifications treat the Teith SAC as a single stock fishery and not a mixed stock.

The Teith SAC includes the Forth from its meeting with the Teith down to the railway bridge in Stirling as well as the whole of the Teith system. This they make clear would be Cat 1 but for the complication of the old Forth and River Allan which they assigned Cat 2 and so then decided to make the Teith SAC Cat 2 as well in their proposed gradings for 2021. So in effect the Scottish Government took account of the situation on the Forth. For the Council to be then be presented with a paper that ignores this and applies its own interpretation which treats one of its beats differently from another I find poor and yes there was absolutely no requirement on the Council to do so. Why not just one tag which can be used on either beat if the angler chooses to do so after the 1st June. I feel as I said earlier that this decision will have cost the council money in lost permit income and done nothing to help conserve salmon on the system.

I have no knowledge of what Cllr. McPhersons views are. If I write to him and his committee it will simply be to communicate to them what I see as a poorly prepared and misleading paper which led to a poor decision that ultimately cost the council income.

keirstream

Reaction score
Jock
that is correct and was the position argued at the time of the W.F.R. which caused a bit of consternation if you remember?
All of a sudden compromises had to be made as the Board who were pushing for C&R anyway and Marine Scotland.
Even netting in the estuary was stopped as it was deemed CAT 2 even though the principal river in the system was CAT 1.
That was when they clutched at the "Mixed Stock" designation.
The whole designation of different rivers within the same system is nonsense and is an abuse of the term, as you said.
Even more so now.
Cllr McPherson wouldn't know a salmon rod if it hit him between the eyes and, with the way the budget is in the Council
with another raft of savings required, it would be no surprise to me if they would be more than happy to see the fishery closing now.
Where have I experienced "poorly prepared and misleading paper which led to a poor decision" in salmon fishing before?
As for Fishery staff not standing up to be counted, I would think there is quite a lot of self preservation going on just now?

mikh

Reaction score
Hi

On a happier note I went down the Forth this morning to see ice floating down the river and a biting wind!
Turned around and came home. Always next week!
21E5F390-4AA0-4E5E-B57E-5D364619BCA2.jpeg

Mikh

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
You should have been wading up to your ..... Then you can say it was cold! How high is it! No SEPA to look at and I live to far away to justify a trip just now!

Tight lines when you are brave enough!

mikh

Reaction score
Hi

This morning it was 0.2m at Callendar and the gravel was well showing at the Dykes on the Forth.

I’ve heard of some kelts caught at Callender last week but no news from the Forth.

Mikh

Firestarter

Reaction score
Nothing off the forth yet, but been rite bitter, hopefully the temperature starts rising the mora

Fergie

Reaction score
Hi

On a happier note I went down the Forth this morning to see ice floating down the river and a biting wind!
Turned around and came home. Always next week!View attachment 57005

Mikh
3722463D-E207-4CE6-90D2-DC70613AE2D9.jpeg
That was the Castle Pool on the Teith Wednesday morn when we were down watching the tree that had become stuck getting hauled out.