River Forth

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
First visit of the year on Tuesday evening. Most of the water was out of the Forth and very dirty. Even at the Rocks it was brown more than half way across. So could only fish the clear narrow strip of water on the Rocks side. Mind, saved wading deep in a cold river. Saw no fish but the seal was there. After two good looks he got between me and the bank! At that stage and in fear of my life I tried to make myself as noisy, big and uneatable as I could! It was within 5 feet and went almost clean around me! Sod that, gave up and went home to watch the football! First time I have actually been that scared! Usually it just gets closer and intimidates you out of the river, although I have once been soaked when he chased a fish up past me! I assume he was chasing a fish but the big bugger could have meant it. Not going to be the first one eaten by a seal!

Dandy angler

Reaction score
First visit of the year on Tuesday evening. Most of the water was out of the Forth and very dirty. Even at the Rocks it was brown more than half way across. So could only fish the clear narrow strip of water on the Rocks side. Mind, saved wading deep in a cold river. Saw no fish but the seal was there. After two good looks he got between me and the bank! At that stage and in fear of my life I tried to make myself as noisy, big and uneatable as I could! It was within 5 feet and went almost clean around me! Sod that, gave up and went home to watch the football! First time I have actually been that scared! Usually it just gets closer and intimidates you out of the river, although I have once been soaked when he chased a fish up past me! I assume he was chasing a fish but the big bugger could have meant it. Not going to be the first one eaten by
There's a good chance this animal is becoming a threat to life? Is it possible to campaign to have it "removed" ? I would imagine if anything is done it would be just to catch it and take it back to the estuary. It would be back in less than 24 hours !! But it does seem like it's becoming a real problem if its not being scared away by humans anymore. !! The Jaws of the Forth😄😄😄🦭

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Yes, it has no fear. I doubt at any stage it considered me as food 😅 but when it's bigger than you and eats meat 🍖 I could take no chances! I guess most people just back off from it, so it will learn, like a dog barks or shows its teeth. I really hope it does not grab someone, even for a play! Not long before the beach at the pool opens again as summer is on its way. My only hope is that more people fishing make it think twice about coming up. It was a 6.30 pm and low tide. Clearly it stayed up river all day Tuesday.

teithflyfisher

teithflyfisher
Reaction score
Scary stuff, it definitely has no fear of humans now..like yourself Aidan I'm in wading generally when the water is up so it wouldn't take much to knock your feet away from underneath you. Is it going to take a serious injury for anything to get done? Let's hope it doesn't come to that...

wormo

Reaction score
seal hunting right now at the peirs and mouth of the allan , when I see them and the febs it just puts me off fishing 😡😡

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
With the number of salmon I catch I am not competing for food. They eat porpoises and their own species as well! If you remember a few years back they found a number of dead seals in the North Sea with what looked like propeller marks on their backs. Turned out to be the mark of two big male canine teeth being raked down a smaller seals back! They had started eating each other. I think I would put up less of a fight than a seal or a small dolphin. Certainly easier to catch. So 1.5 h in the car for 45 mins fishing. Just watch the football instead tonight safer! I saw 2 fish! One which rose naturally and one being chased by a seal! Although I hate them I do marvel at their speed. Lucky this fish was faster in a foot of water and the seal ran out of room. Mind you he will try again and again until he gets his tea!