River Forth

Bigroger

Reaction score
Read a wee article in the Stirling Observer the other day, regarding the Dykes and the Trap on the Forth. Just a bit of history on how the Trap was used to harvest salmon many years ago. It also stated that in Mediaeval times, Stirling was one of the biggest salmon producers in Europe. Now there's a throwback for ye!!!. Happy and successful New year to all Forth and Teith fishers for 2020. ??

DJ

Reaction score
Read a wee article in the Stirling Observer the other day, regarding the Dykes and the Trap on the Forth. Just a bit of history on how the Trap was used to harvest salmon many years ago. It also stated that in Mediaeval times, Stirling was one of the biggest salmon producers in Europe. Now there's a throwback for ye!!!. Happy and successful New year to all Forth and Teith fishers for 2020. ??

When I managed the fishery one project was to construct The Forth Trail, which runs from Forthside to Dobbies. Along the trail there are several interpretation boards which tells various stories about the Forth. The history of the river is quite astonishing and the trail is well worth a visit. At one time 1000 tonne ships moored at the old harbour where salmon were loaded for export. This gives you an idea of the numbers of fish that ascended the river in those times.
The trail really is a great walk and if you get the chance it's well worth doing either on foot or on bike. There's always something to see in terms of wildlife.
DJ

Bigroger

Reaction score
What's pretty sad is while walking part of the Forth Trail wae ma wee dug, for most of the season last year, I hardly saw a soul fishing the Piers on the other side. Gone are the days when, right from opening day, fishers would out, with a real chance of a clean fish. Seen some absolute belters caught from the mouth of the Allan, down to the Cleekum, especially in the 80's. They're just not there anymore, I suppose. Very sad.

Harryb

Reaction score
Just to let you know, I've just picked up my season ticket from the one stop shop in Stirling, and, according to the young lady that served me tags will be issued around June. "Is this correct?" I was under the impression that there would be no tags this year.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Bought the permit yesterday and went down for an hour. Forth was coloured but met 4 others fishing. So not the only mad one. Glad to see no trees in the river although there is one behind the seat at the Rocks. Saw nothing (not even a seal) but the river still looked good. Big water this morning let's hope all the trees stay where they should be.

Harryb

Reaction score
River looking good Aiden, now that's good to hear after all the big waters we've been having, thought some of the banks would have been eroded as a result. Not been mad enough to venture out myself yet, but looking forward to it weather permitting.

keirstream

Reaction score
Forth First Fish

Eye witness report of an 18lbr off the Ditch today on a floating devon.:thumb:
Seriously early for the Forth.:)

keirstream

Reaction score
Never heard anything about it when I was there today

Caught at 9.00a.m. and witnessed by my pal who was down walking his dog. He took the trophy pic for the angler and it was returned safely. Said it was minted straight off the tide.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Any update on fish being caught ? Spey and Tweed appear to be having very good runs of fish at present going by catch reports. If these 2 x East coast rivers are seeing an increase in runs it would be interesting to see if fish were being seen in numbers on the Forth ? I appreciate that the fish will not hang around the tidal like they used to with seals patrolling but has anybody been out and seen fish coming off the tides and heading upstream even in the low water ? June low water used to be a favourite for the early riser to get a fish out the pool,stream,trap before the sun was up ?

salmo76

Reaction score
With the decent runs being reported in a few rivers at the moment you would think the beats on the middle / upper reaches of the Teith must be holding a few fish just now. As an aside , I found it quite noticeable in the pictures of the Spey fish that quite a few were badly marked by what appears to be seal strikes ; think you`re right and fish nowadays don`t hang around estuaries or lower reaches of rivers with the amount of seals around these days.

Glenogle

Reaction score
Negative, I think most went down the earn and tay, just a little too far NE. A little over balquhidder but very limited unfortunately.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
First visit since lock down. A few fish showing in the pool. Good to see my first fish this year. River was up a few inches but not enough to bring new fish in or excite the old ones. Weed was bad, but that was to be expected. Tree in the trap has moved to be on top of the trap. Not sure how or when. Good to be out again.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Used to love fishing this time of year when i was right young , used to fish the mouth of the Allan from the market side with the worms , used to be stuffed with stubborn fish and hundreds of perch and big eels which i always thought were salmon on their first hit. If the tides were suitable then i used to go down the riverside and fish from the rowing club up to just below the lovers lane bridge as there used to be a decent stretch in there which was quite deep and fish would lie there and i had a few good short sessions there with the condom. The mud was terrible but the rewards were worth it but only with old rubber waders. Had one day where i got a few and had a few takes and i seen loads of fish rolling about in the deep hole, returned next day thinking i would have a red letter day again and i never seen a fin or touched anything and never seen another fish down there the next few weeks.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Yes you just can't trust them. They rarely do what you think they will do. Had a tide at the offices when we all got fish. Next tide nothing. Couple of more inches on the river today? Here is hoping the season starts now. Also no seals! Suspect they will move up if the fish do.

Bigroger

Reaction score
Seen a couple of nice fish this afternoon, while walking ma wee mad dug. One just below the pipe, and one at the Stabbs.

Grilse Boy

Reaction score
When I managed the fishery one project was to construct The Forth Trail, which runs from Forthside to Dobbies. Along the trail there are several interpretation boards which tells various stories about the Forth. The history of the river is quite astonishing and the trail is well worth a visit. At one time 1000 tonne ships moored at the old harbour where salmon were loaded for export. This gives you an idea of the numbers of fish that ascended the river in those times.
The trail really is a great walk and if you get the chance it's well worth doing either on foot or on bike. There's always something to see in terms of wildlife.
DJ
DJ there were that numbers of fish when you were the manager we caught plenty back then different days now. I use the river trails every day running the river now or cycling I with the kids great work great path network but I am still waiting on that bridge you promised connecting the pathways up over the Allan :)

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Almost frightened to post this. Is it actually being managed now? Look forward to your thoughts, off to get my hard hat

Bigroger

Reaction score
As long as you can "manage" to pay the council your hard earned cash. Still, maybe we'll get a discount next season, due to this season being curtailed. Ha ha.

Jock

Reaction score
Almost frightened to post this. Is it actually being managed now? Look forward to your thoughts, off to get my hard hat
Well they certainly have "managed " to send some of us to look elsewhere for our fishing and I have no regrets finding pastures new and wish those that have stayed well. The current fishery management have brought a whole new meaning to the definition of a" Mixed Stock Salmon Fishery" with their policy of, you can take a fish from thre Teith but not the Forth. Combine that with their lack of interest in re establishing their bailifing powers and participating in board meetings what message is that sending out. Hopefully things will change but I wont be back until they do.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Sorry I will not see you this year, I had thought it was C19 that was keeping you away. The lack of a warrant card is clearly having an impact. The seal ate more last year than was caught never mind killed. Not seen him this year but he is about. Went up past the Rocks last week I was told. Not sure if he ever came back down. At least they are not sleeping on the platform at the Rocks anymore although the kids have had a party (took me 20 mins to clear up the bottles! Sorely missed (you not the seal).