River Findhorn 2021

scoops

Reaction score
Heading to Forres next week for a few days fishing looking forward to it as not cast a line since start of May, hopefully the sun doesn't come out to blazing as is normal when have a few days fishing somewhere, looking at river levels be small rods and light lines

bankwheel

Reaction score
Heading to Forres next week for a few days fishing looking forward to it as not cast a line since start of May, hopefully the sun doesn't come out to blazing as is normal when have a few days fishing somewhere, looking at river levels be small rods and light lines
It’s low water but we have high tides at the end of the week this will bring some more grilse in. I saw a big run of grilse push in last Saturday so if the temperature drops and we get a bit of rain, it could be good. Get some small flees and some hitches tied up

bankwheel

Reaction score
Last week Roberto Fraga had a couple of days with his son Raul, he is 8 years old (Raul not Roberto), when I turned up he had just lost a grilse then got a lovely 10lb fish and landed it all on his own, Roberto was so chuffed and I got the whole thing on video

Attachments

• 61CA0574-E97A-4B1B-BC0F-E2A6D9DE00EA.jpeg
    61CA0574-E97A-4B1B-BC0F-E2A6D9DE00EA.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 203

scoops

Reaction score
Last week Roberto Fraga had a couple of days with his son Raul, he is 8 years old (Raul not Roberto), when I turned up he had just lost a grilse then got a lovely 10lb fish and landed it all on his own, Roberto was so chuffed and I got the whole thing on video
Thats good to see, fish like that will keep the young boy more interested, well done

Yet to catch a fish on the hitch so will def be giving that a good try (y)

Greegs

Reaction score
Is the association water worth a bash on Saturday??

I’ve a couple of days off & looking for somewhere to fish.

Normally we fish Logie but never fished further down stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevieob76

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on fishing the Tomatin area?Fished it years ago. Was getting nostalgic and would love to fish it again.

scoops

Reaction score

Not sure others more local will know better, Glyn above saying the tides are good this weekend.
I can say it’s a nice stretch from top to bottom and the locals we’ve met the past couple years are all sound and willing to pass on info, we’re up Monday for a few days
Tights lines wherever you head to

bankwheel

Reaction score

This weekend we have big tides which will bring fresh fish into our pools, the issue we have is that we have had a prolonged spell of dry weather with hot sun most days so early mornings and evenings are best. I’m always the optimist so yes it’s worth a go. You need to adapt to the conditions so single handers and small flies or hitch tubes can bring the most success. Keep moving don’t fish one spot for too long. If you want to message me I will tell you the bits to focus on. Hope this helps

Oscar

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on fishing the Tomatin area?Fished it years ago. Was getting nostalgic and would love to fish it again.
MCX Fisher know this area well. Hopefully he’ll see your message.

Or take as look at his ‘Just One Week’ blog which is based a lot at Tomatin.

Oscar

Greegs

Reaction score
This weekend we have big tides which will bring fresh fish into our pools, the issue we have is that we have had a prolonged spell of dry weather with hot sun most days so early mornings and evenings are best. I’m always the optimist so yes it’s worth a go. You need to adapt to the conditions so single handers and small flies or hitch tubes can bring the most success. Keep moving don’t fish one spot for too long. If you want to message me I will tell you the bits to focus on. Hope this helps

Fantastic, I will send you a message if we decide to head up as far.

Been looking at a few places but still undecided where to head to.

Cheers.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The most important thing to grasp is that the Upper Findhorn is wholly water dependent. Without it you won’t catch anything. If good rain comes in August, which is quite rare, then the fishing in September can be excellent.
The two beats below Tomatin House, Feeburn and Moy, are both bookable via FishPal and have a few days available. The House fishing is usually let with the accommodation - see the website which has good drone footage. You can always enquire whether they have any fishing only opportunities. Above the railway bridge there are a series of beats, most linked to accommodation, leading up to Old Clune, where someone else on the Forum fished earlier this summer.
As Oscar noted my blog is full of Tomatin materials.
and more specifically

If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Stevieob76

Reaction score
The most important thing to grasp is that the Upper Findhorn is wholly water dependent. Without it you won’t catch anything. If good rain comes in August, which is quite rare, then the fishing in September can be excellent.
The two beats below Tomatin House, Feeburn and Moy, are both bookable via FishPal and have a few days available. The House fishing is usually let with the accommodation - see the website which has good drone footage. You can always enquire whether they have any fishing only opportunities. Above the railway bridge there are a series of beats, most linked to accommodation, leading up to Old Clune, where someone else on the Forum fished earlier this summer.
and more specifically

Thanks for that. Some good leads there and some enjoyable reading.
I used to fish corrybrough and glenkirk from late April till September. Have some fond memories.

Oscar

Reaction score
and more specifically

Come on Michael, don't be so nagative! Never say never! 😁

Greegs

Reaction score
Made it as far as Pitlochry.

Kidding myself on that I was going to fish tomorrow morning.

Maybe next time.

Cheers for the help Glyn.

Mac78

Reaction score
Does anyone have a beat map for the Moy water(Fishpal just has a basic access map, no reference to pools?
I believe they've now combined Beats 2 & 3 as a four rod beat, fishing only the North Bank. Wondering if this is to avoid issues with use of the bucket bridge.
Also how bad's the access track these days down to Shenachie?

As it's been years since I've ventured as far up as Shenachie, is the Oxen still filled in with gravel, or still worth a flick?

scoops

Reaction score
Just back from 3 days on Forres association water, well that was some days of total contrast 😳
Arrived Sunday and went for a reccie seen some fish in the Broom as normally is, also noticed how low the water was, last year was low but seemed a good few inches lower this year
Then off to the Indian which was really good in the new Forres Tandoori, recommend if your up that way, followed by some of our local brewery’s Brewtoon beers, much prefer to the Brewdog offerings
Monday picked up our permits at 6am from Sues News and headed of to river, moved around all day in the blazing sunshine, had a wee finnock but nothing else, heard of one fish lost on the morning but no sign of fish coming off the tides, the river water was quite warm and was still warm on Wednesday after all the rain on Tuesday night
Found a strange fly pattern I’ve heard of but never seen before 😳
More of the same Tuesday, when sitting having a beer outside at our digs the heavens opened and thunder n lightening, we were hoping for a foot of water for the next day
Wednesday up and looked at SEPA web site to see if worth heading, looked promising saying about a foot and nothing up river of note, down to river and was looking nice height a little coloured but certainly fishable, was rising very slowly, changed from micro flies to spring tubes, in the Gordon pool at 8-20 managed a nice looking fresh small but very welcome grilse about 3 1/2lbs an hour n half later was no chance I’d of been able to stand where I caught it, river must have rose 3 feet, head up to Stoney and was really just fishing for the sake of it, water was murky, be good when settles and clears I’d think probably up a week to early as usual 🙄
Was good speaking to some guys met last year and some new faces, all sound guys
Might hit it right next time

Attachments

• 12CA6F39-8B75-4BDE-AB86-873FEB22D2DA.jpeg
    12CA6F39-8B75-4BDE-AB86-873FEB22D2DA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 96
  • 2B6A9BF5-423C-4129-98D7-4F77D6539403.jpeg
    2B6A9BF5-423C-4129-98D7-4F77D6539403.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 100
  • E858FDE8-E1A3-4588-BDB0-E67B109E416A.jpeg
    E858FDE8-E1A3-4588-BDB0-E67B109E416A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 93
  • D6B34B30-D38F-4FA7-86A4-687EFB12F4B6.jpeg
    D6B34B30-D38F-4FA7-86A4-687EFB12F4B6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Oscar

Reaction score
Just back from 3 days on Forres association water, well that was some days of total contrast 😳
Arrived Sunday and went for a reccie seen some fish in the Broom as normally is, also noticed how low the water was, last year was low but seemed a good few inches lower this year
Then off to the Indian which was really good in the new Forres Tandoori, recommend if your up that way, followed by some of our local brewery’s Brewtoon beers, much prefer to the Brewdog offerings
Monday picked up our permits at 6am from Sues News and headed of to river, moved around all day in the blazing sunshine, had a wee finnock but nothing else, heard of one fish lost on the morning but no sign of fish coming off the tides
More of the same Tuesday, when sitting having a beer outside at our digs the heavens opened and thunder n lightening, we were hoping for a foot of water for the next
Wednesday up and looked at SEPA web site to see if worth heading, looked promising saying about a foot and nothing up river of note, down to river and was looking nice height a little coloured but certainly fishable, was rising very slowly, changed from micro flies to spring tubes, in the Gordon pool at 8-20 managed a nice looking fresh small but very welcome grilse about 3 1/2lbs an hour n half later was no chance I’d of been able to stand where I caught it, river must have rose 3 feet, head up to Stoney and was really just fishing for the sake of it, water was murky, be good when settles and clears I’d think probably up a week to early as usual 🙄
Nice report, and well done on the fish.

That 'fly' is very reminiscent of the well known 'Manx Anchor' favoured by the poachers on the Isle of Man. Although I think they used a large treble...

Oscar.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Monday picked up our permits at 6am from Sues News and headed of to river, moved around all day in the blazing sunshine, had a wee finnock but nothing else, heard of one fish lost on the morning but no sign of fish coming off the tides
More of the same Tuesday, when sitting having a beer outside at our digs the heavens opened and thunder n lightening, we were hoping for a foot of water for the next

Thats a decent write up but as for the 'fly', first time I've seen a quad hook like that in any guise!