River Findhorn 2021

bankwheel

Reaction score
Its been a decent start to the season so far, the river was un-fishable the first week with night time temps down to -13 and most of the river iced over, then the temperature came up and the river went into flood for most of last week. The first fish a lovely 19 pounder came off Altyre last Thursday and was caught by Leslie Tyson (Bex on here), yesterday we had two off the association water, a 13 lb fish to Steve Pannell and a 9lb fish to Scott Hay, I think that is his first Salmon. All fish caught on the fly, dripping with lice and safely returned. There are also reports of a few good springers lost at the net, shame but that's how it goes. Next week the river will keep dropping and with really big tides and better temperatures should see some more fish coming in.
Just as a side note we are only allowing visitor permits to those residing in the Moray area for the time being until restrictions ease.
BW

sealicer

Reaction score
Great news, with settled conditions and big tides, hopefully all the east coast rivers will see some fish this week.

phatagrova

Reaction score
Its been a decent start to the season so far, the river was un-fishable the first week with night time temps down to -13 and most of the river iced over, then the temperature came up and the river went into flood for most of last week. The first fish a lovely 19 pounder came off Altyre last Thursday and was caught by Leslie Tyson (Bex on here), yesterday we had two off the association water, a 13 lb fish to Steve Pannell and a 9lb fish to Scott Hay, I think that is his first Salmon. All fish caught on the fly, dripping with lice and safely returned. There are also reports of a few good springers lost at the net, shame but that's how it goes. Next week the river will keep dropping and with really big tides and better temperatures should see some more fish coming in.
Just as a side note we are only allowing visitor permits to those residing in the Moray area for the time being until restrictions ease.
BW
Perhaps Bex will disclose his early season tactics, & set up and successful fly , a 19 lb Springer wow that would be most anglers season made .

Kype King

Reaction score
BW
Now how can I get an address in Moray?! 😂😂

Bex

Reaction score
Perhaps Bex will disclose his early season tactics, & set up and successful fly , a 19 lb Springer wow that would be most anglers season made .

Floating line it’s not a deep beat, med sink tip and a Monkey.
Don’t lose the first one at your feet and hold onto the second
Work the edges where they move through and be bloody lucky.
Right place and time I think.

The killer flee, the kelts had a taste for it as well. It was a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scierra

Reaction score

She went back strong, nice fish...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Forgive me if I'm wrong , but the photo of this fish looks so much like a farmed fish? mouth is deformed. also heavy spotted ? Zoom in on the mouth area.Only 25% of the fish in view , I would like to see the whole fish and more so the tail .

Last edited:

NEbody

Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm wrong , but the photo of this fish looks so much like a farmed fish? mouth is deformed. also heavy spotted ? Zoom in on the mouth area.Only 25% of the fish in view , I would like to see the whole fish and more so the tail .
I think the second picture of it on here should allay your doubts

scoops

Reaction score
Hopefully get up to the Association water for a few days later in season when accommodation is available again, was up in August last year, some guys were saying usually better in September some saying earlier, what time of year is usually best now? When do the runs usually stop going through the association water? Cheers Steve.

bankwheel

Reaction score
Steve, normally August and September are our best months for numbers but last year was poor, However there were a lot of fish in the upper river so they did come through.
we also still pick up some fresh fish right up to the end of the season

scoops

Reaction score
Steve, normally August and September are our best months for numbers but last year was poor, However there were a lot of fish in the upper river so they did come through.
we also still pick up some fresh fish right up to the end of the season
Perfect thanks Glyn, il get the tide tables and work rota Checked 👍

Smoggy

Reaction score
The mouth is slightly mis-shaped because the hook is still in it's mouth/top lip and puling upwards

bankwheel

Reaction score
Yesterday there were 3 off Darnaway and two from Altyre both these beats are immediately above our association water. Some really good news is that Willie Ogg had a fish of 12 to 13lbs yesterday in the Stoney pool, what's amazing about this and if my maths is correct willie is 92 years old and still fishing. He is a lovely guy and still as enthusiastic as he always was. Well done Willie!
53FCCEF5-7DB9-4853-ADED-F2D6A9671841.jpeg

bankwheel

Reaction score
Wilbur Cruickshank had a nice fish of 13lbs from Red Craig today, mad out fishing in this weather but if your line is not in the water you are not going to catch fish!!! Findhorn starting to see some small but regular runs of fish now.