River Exe 2021

Loxie

Reaction score
Thank you I fish near Tiverton, so good to know there's a few about already.
My lowest beat is just above Tiverton and when we did get a few fish the last week of March was usually when we would expect to start catching. I think rod effort on the Exe in the spring has been very poor in recent years and it's good to see a few rods out, and even better to hear of fish too!

Twenty club

Reaction score
Anyone seen or heard of anymore fish being seen or caught. River levels holding well, maybe slowing a few fish up?

Twenty club

Reaction score
Good tides I see, and still good height of water. I haven't seen or heard of any fish about in the past few days. Anyone with any news?

Bullet

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if Shrimp/Prawn are permitted on the Exe? All I can find is that Worm/ maggot are not, and no Float fishing is allowed for Salmon.
I've found nothing to suggest they are, and nothing to suggest they are not!

Loxie

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if Shrimp/Prawn are permitted on the Exe? All I can find is that Worm/ maggot are not, and no Float fishing.
I've found nothing to suggest they are not, but just wondering.
Yes it's fine.

darrenuk

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is any fishing available on the upper exe above Tiverton? My son is moving down and is a keen salmon fisher.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullet

Reaction score
Couple of hours Wednesday evening on the Spinner, the River was on the high side but clearing nicely.
One boil at the lure and the fish showed, and that was it....back to square one on the river level front now☹

Loxie

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is any fishing available on the upper exe above Tiverton? My son is moving down and is a keen salmon fisher.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is heaps available. Pm me for a chat if you like.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Once had a lovely walk at a place called Bamford Speke? Low water in June but I saw lots of salmon trying to hide away.

WombatPool

Reaction score
Upstream mending ?? It's something I always do if I notice the fly line bowing down river after making a cast, i do this because it makes me think the salmon will see the fly line before the fly, and to slow the fly too. Although I read salmon are not line shy anyway so maybe my reasoning for an upstream mend is off to start with? Yesterday evening instead of an upstream mend as usual, I just stripped super fast so the fly swung at great speed beating the fly line down and across. I done this a few times when a fish came and smashed the little cascade fly. It was an almighty tug and with a big surface slash which was most welcome after having no encounters previous to that, but it all happened so fast, and the fish was gone.......
Yesterdays trip to the river taught me that I should definitely strip flies faster at times, especially if I end up in a position after casting as if I gave a down stream mend, and try not to 'correct' it with an upstream mend.. although truth be told it's probably a good idea to just try these different methods anyway right!
The salmon I have caught on the fly so far though, have been caught mainly on flies fished quite slow, so I guess I found something that seemed to work, and stuck with it. But I have seen the other side today !!

As ever, learning as I go....

Andrew B

Reaction score
Upstream mending ?? It's something I always do if I notice the fly line bowing down river after making a cast, i do this because it makes me think the salmon will see the fly line before the fly, and to slow the fly too. Although I read salmon are not line shy anyway so maybe my reasoning for an upstream mend is off to start with? Yesterday evening instead of an upstream mend as usual, I just stripped super fast so the fly swung at great speed beating the fly line down and across. I done this a few times when a fish came and smashed the little cascade fly. It was an almighty tug and with a big surface slash which was most welcome after having no encounters previous to that, but it all happened so fast, and the fish was gone.......
Yesterdays trip to the river taught me that I should definitely strip flies faster at times, especially if I end up in a position after casting as if I gave a down stream mend, and try not to 'correct' it with an upstream mend.. although truth be told it's probably a good idea to just try these different methods anyway right!
The salmon I have caught on the fly so far though, have been caught mainly on flies fished quite slow, so I guess I found something that seemed to work, and stuck with it. But I have seen the other side today !!

As ever, learning as I go....
Yeah always learning for sure. I got onto this, fishing for sea trout and how they would follow and nearly always back off, after mending the line. Unless it’s early on with the need to get that fly down I nearly always fish with a downstream belly in the line. I’ve not caught enough salmon on the fly to know this, but I can imagine it being the same.
Makes you wonder how many follows our flies have actually had that came to nothing as even with a spinner a salmon will get bored real quick after following and pulling out imo.

WombatPool

Reaction score
Yeah always learning for sure. I got onto this, fishing for sea trout and how they would follow and nearly always back off, after mending the line. Unless it’s early on with the need to get that fly down I nearly always fish with a downstream belly in the line. I’ve not caught enough salmon on the fly to know this, but I can imagine it being the same.
Makes you wonder how many follows our flies have actually had that came to nothing as even with a spinner a salmon will get bored real quick after following and pulling out imo.
I always keep the fly moving usually with a figure of eight of varying speeds or slow 6' strips. But the other day I was stripping basically at top speed maybe 1ft of line each time and I couldn't have stripped any faster if I tried. I have done this on a few occasions in the past with sunrays, but its something I never really stuck at. I often strip line in quick after the fly has come to the dangle but rarely that fast when the fly is still coming round. But I will definitely at times fish the fly faster in future. Maybe it's time time to re visit Sunrays!

Seeing of course is believing!

Bullet

Reaction score
Any news of anything lately?
There were a few fish about where I fish a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't tempt anything.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I always keep the fly moving usually with a figure of eight of varying speeds or slow 6' strips. But the other day I was stripping basically at top speed maybe 1ft of line each time and I couldn't have stripped any faster if I tried. I have done this on a few occasions in the past with sunrays, but its something I never really stuck at. I often strip line in quick after the fly has come to the dangle but rarely that fast when the fly is still coming round. But I will definitely at times fish the fly faster in future. Maybe it's time time to re visit Sunrays!

Seeing of course is believing!
Seeing is believing and on the recent thread where I showed some pics of some of the Sewin I’ve had in the past, one kind bloke I know just happened to have a pic of an eight pound sea trout I caught on a flood on a rapala.
I gave my mate first dibs on the worm for nothing and on my first cast this fish came from nowhere very close in, hit the rapala hard, pricked itself and bent the rod, got off and in my shock I’d stopped reeling in but in a nano second the fish turned again and caught the lure before I could even take it out lol🤯
The amount of fish and usually salmon that have followed and turned away because I slowed down will add up to more than I’ve hooked but that big sea trout taught me that if they are taking out of aggression there’s very little that will put them off.

Loxie

Reaction score
There seem to be a few fish about on the back of this water, not very many sadly! My Dad had one today on the upper river and I've heard of a couple on the Barle too. I've had some good trout but no salmon yet!

tobydiggens

Reaction score
New to SFF, but been reading for some years being mainly a North East fisherman originally (Tyne, Wear, Coquet, Till) while I studied marine biology (obviously studied salmon.. :p) at Newcastle. Now live near the Exe and fished Sunday night on water just below Cove. Caught a silver beauty of approx 6lbs. Cock. Sea lice. Saw another. Heard reports of others being caught in that area. Reading between the lines it sounded like 3 from above and 3 from below approx. Like Loxie, heard of a fish caught on the Barle also. Cheers.

tobydiggens

Reaction score
Hello again. 1 fish last night at 07.30. 7lbs. Hen. Silver. Another took on the dangle then off. My friend lost one. On for 3 mins. Another friend had one boil at a fly and then a huge bow wave at his fly in a tail at last light. He thought his fly had an alder branch attached to it :0 Cheers.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Hello again. 1 fish last night at 07.30. 7lbs. Hen. Silver. Another took on the dangle then off. My friend lost one. On for 3 mins. Another friend had one boil at a fly and then a huge bow wave at his fly in a tail at last light. He thought his fly had an alder branch attached to it :0 Cheers.
Well done sir. Always nice to hear about the Exe.

Loxie

Reaction score
I had an afternoon on the upper river and saw quite a few fish, comparatively speaking. Couldn't catch one though!