River Exe 2021

Loxie

Reaction score
I thought I might start the customary very short thread on the Exe! Opening day today and conditions quite good. Anyone else have a cast? It has been a few years since I've heard of a February fish from the Exe but always a chance down Exeter way.

WombatPool

Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't make it out for an opening day cast but I will fish very soon hopefully later this week, plus I have set myself a goal, I want to catch a fish on the Exe before the end of March, which maybe a little tricky and I'll need a big dollop of good luck but I have good word that a number of fish were seen in March last year around the Exeter area, not many but a few, so I think it's definitely worth trying..
The Exe was good to me last year, I managed to land 7 fish from the end of July, including my first on fly then 20 mins later catching a second, and I easily lost just as many as I landed come the end of the season. So I have something of a soft spot for the Exe as she's treated me well and gave me some good action.
I hope she treats you well this year Andrew and best of luck for when you get out!

swest4

Reaction score
Hello both. I'm an infrequent poster onto this forum but also a regular Exe fisherman since moving to Devon four years ago. I had three last year (brilliant for me) including my first on fly. Two years ago, I got one on April 30th, which is the earliest I've managed (sadly, that was my only fish that year!). Haven't been out yet but will be giving it a good go this year again. Tight lines. Steve

Loxie

Reaction score
It's nice to see a couple of Exe fishers posting! Last year was certainly a cause for some optimism, let's hope that continues.

I think there are a few running in March but very few people go after them. I last caught a March salmon on the Exe in 1991!! I've always wanted to catch a February fish but I've never really tried hard enough. I'm going to have a cast this afternoon but for grayling, not salmon. I think if I lived at the Exeter end I'd try a bit harder in the early season.

devonshire

Reaction score
I too had a better season on the Exe last year - certainly better than the previous 2 seasons. But like you @WombatPool I had issues keeping them on the hook :LOL:

I've always been keen to try the Exe earlier in the season. I don't usually venture out until May onwards. Does anybody know who owns, or how to access any of the lower river beats? I know FTE used to own some stretches (including the tidal Countess Wear beat) but it looks like they don't have it any more looking at their website. I seem to recall they didn't allow fishing until mid June to 'protect the spring run'. I always thought that a bit odd as I'm sure it would be self-regulating!

All the best if anybody does make it out for a cast.

Bullet

Reaction score
I heard of a fresh fish seen on the Exe just above Exeter a couple of weeks ago, the person is a very experienced Salmon Angler so I'm sure it wasn't a Kelt.
Might be worth a chuck, although I never see much before early May.

Loxie

Reaction score
I too had a better season on the Exe last year - certainly better than the previous 2 seasons. But like you @WombatPool I had issues keeping them on the hook :LOL:

I've always been keen to try the Exe earlier in the season. I don't usually venture out until May onwards. Does anybody know who owns, or how to access any of the lower river beats? I know FTE used to own some stretches (including the tidal Countess Wear beat) but it looks like they don't have it any more looking at their website. I seem to recall they didn't allow fishing until mid June to 'protect the spring run'. I always thought that a bit odd as I'm sure it would be self-regulating!

I think there are various club tickets you can get for the Exeter area, it's probably worth contacting Exeter Angling Centre. I think Wombatpool might have some info.

I've got fishing just above Tiverton and if anyone fancies a day as my guest just drop me a PM.

TubsyMcgee

Reaction score
Was there a 2020 exe thread? I had a few casts on Sunday, river was great, nothing seen though.

WombatPool

Reaction score

Loxie is right, it would be worth popping into Exeter angling, as thats where I bought my club ticket for 'Exeter & District Angling Association' which costs around £55 for the year. Once you have bought your club ticket, you can then send off for a salmon permit, which costs another £5. So for £60 a year, that will give you access to13 beats to fish for Salmon in the Exeter area, a pretty good deal i thought! that also included the Countess weir beat you mention.......

They are buggers sometimes, I like to think that as I become more experienced i might be able to land a few more, but im not holding my breath :LOL:

Last edited:

Bullet

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a bump for this one, anyone been out, seen or caught anything?

Loxie

Reaction score
I've had a couple of short goes but mainly fished for grayling up to now. Water looks good but not heard of anything yet. Traditionally you wouldn't see much above Thorveton before the last week of March. I'm surprised there hasn't been a fish down atTrews but I'm not sure how many rods have been out. I'll probably have a cast for a salmon at the weekend now the grayling are over.

andrew

Reaction score
Well done!
How far up the river was that if you don't mind my asking?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bennachie

Reaction score
Not far below Thorverton.
I used to take a rod at Fortescue, never had a sniff! Well done.
By coincidence I had a pleasant journey last week up the Exe valley, well at least from Tivvy north. Brought back some happy memories. Maybe I need to revisit the Exe sometime.

Loxie

Reaction score
Popped down for a couple of hours with the spinning gear yesterday and was amazed to take a fish on about the 4th cast, nice fresh one about 8 or 9lb.
That'll probably be it for the season!
Fantastic, well done!!

Elibank

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I keep an eye on this thread because I collect books and ephemera concerned with Devonshire fishing, particularly books by the Rev. Hughes or “Devonshire Fisherman”. I thought you might be interested in seeing a bit of the county’s history...

3377B307-91A7-4309-B42A-5872D246DFF8.jpeg

Elibank

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I keep an eye on this thread because I collect books and ephemera concerned with Devonshire fishing, particularly books by the Rev. Hughes or “Devonshire Fisherman”. I thought you might be interested in seeing a bit of the county’s history...

View attachment 58872

And my final submission is this, and I’ll now leave you in peace....

430E1FA1-C52C-48B9-9C55-2F4A73672506.jpeg

WombatPool

Reaction score
Admittedly I haven’t fished as hard as i originally planned to during March, and I haven’t caught one yet.... but.... I lost two today on spinner! First fish was on and straight off, second fish I was convinced would be landed but it gave a massive leap into the air and the hooks gave, absolutely clean as they come fish of around 10lbs....the fish are in!

Twenty club

Reaction score
That's good to know there are a few fish about, and bad luck. How far up the system were they if you don't mind me asking please?