River Earn 2019

bradan

Reaction score
Bliadhna Mhath Ur to all Earn anglers. Hoping for better water and more fish this year.

kreid

Reaction score
I have been down a few times grayling fishing ….they haven't been as numerous as other years. What I did notice was the number of salmon moving through. Or should that be, the lack of them. December ususlly sees a lot of salmon moving and splashing about. In 4/5 trips I hardly saw a salmon move. On the up side we did catch a few wee finnock as a by catch, they were minted. Good luck to Earn anglers 2019. What do we want? Rain! When do we want it? All june , July and August! And some in October.

goosander

Reaction score
Have seen/caught more finoch last season than for many seasons past. Just thin out the goosanders Iand that would be a big help to the river.
Bob.

kreid

Reaction score
it would, I am seeing them everywhere and they aren't even a native species!

bradan

Reaction score
Cold and clear forecat for Friday. Who'll be out for Opening Day?

No chance of a fresh fish with the water so low but it's all about the ceremony and the hope of things to come.

20190129-Earn Level.jpg

bradan

Reaction score
A hardy dozen turn out to brave the cold (-8c) and low water conditions for the Crieff AC Opening Day. There was grue on the river, not seen that in years, and unsurprisingly, no fish!

Nonetheless, a good crack accompanied by some Glenturret 10 Year Old (thank you) and a look forward to a better season, hopefully .

20190201-Opening Day-2_sm.jpg

20190201-Opening Day Grue-2_sm.jpg

goosander

Reaction score
Walked our beats yesterday and never saw a sign of a kelt dead or alive. With it having been a fairly dry winter compared with past I would have expected to find dead ones amongst the rubbish from the last spate.
Good to see the place again. Watched a dab chick [little grebe] in one of the pools. Always amazes me how they manage to survive the winter.
Any one had anything yet.
Bob.

bradan

Reaction score
Well that will clear out any kelts. Might even bring up the odd early fish too.

20190207-Earn at Dalginross.jpg

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
I was told that there were 4 caught at Kinkell Bridge so far. Is this wrong?

bradan

Reaction score
Don't we all😁

Just moved to Comrie, how quick do the fish get up here albeit I'll need to sort a permit out and try for myself.
Depends on the water temperature and height in order to encourage them over Colquhylie. Normally it's March before Crieff gets it's first fish.

RB34

Reaction score
No, it often catches the earliest fish but Crieff AC usually catches the most fish each year.
My pal was up at Kinkell this week and a springer was caught . Not by him sadly but a fresh fish none the less