River Eachaig new video

Ian43

Reaction score
Paul Young is the presenter and narrator of a new video produced by the River Eachaig Fishery Syndicate. It seems to be too large to upload as an attachment but it's viewable on the syndicate's new website www.eachaigfishing.com. One of the interesting aspects of the website is another video on how the river used to be commercially netted. In 1897 a local fishmonger was given the netting rights and in one season alone hauled in 8,500 sea trout and salmon.

Finglas

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the link to the website. Interesting to not they put a price on the rods as 1500-3500. I’ve no idea what syndicated rods would normally cost but to fish a week (I’m assuming it is a week) for 3500 in perpetuity sounds actually quite reasonable?

I know it’s absolutely water dependent and there would probably be a smaller annual upkeep fee but does anyone else have any view in the asking prices?

thanks

Oscar

Reaction score
Looks beautiful. Shame they’ve got a pic of what looks like a farmer on the website!!

Ian43

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the link to the website. Interesting to not they put a price on the rods as 1500-3500. I’ve no idea what syndicated rods would normally cost but to fish a week (I’m assuming it is a week) for 3500 in perpetuity sounds actually quite reasonable?

I know it’s absolutely water dependent and there would probably be a smaller annual upkeep fee but does anyone else have any view in the asking prices?

thanks
I own four rods on the river. I bought them when they were first time-shared in 1985. The price range then was £2,500 to £7,500. The river isn't entirely water-dependent in that there's often decent night fishing for sea trout in the half-dozen or so lower pools that are tide affected.

Ian43

Reaction score
The one on the home page - or is that just a really really fresh sea trout? Very spotty for a salmon!

Maybe I’m very much mistaken!
I think you're mistaken. Mind you, in the video there's a farmer herding his flock of sheep....

meyre

Reaction score
It is a lovely stream and Ian is right about night fishing even in lowest water.....the finnock can slip straight in on the tide from the loch.
My father in law bought one of the 'shares' when it opened and did so for the good reason that American subs and fish farms do not work well together.... Holy Loch is blessed by the former rather than being cursed with the latter.

ibm59

Reaction score
The Holy Loch submarine base closed it’s doors in March 1992.

meyre

Reaction score
Yes - and that is a pity. Are there now pens in Holy Loch?

salmo76

Reaction score
It is a lovely stream and Ian is right about night fishing even in lowest water.....the finnock can slip straight in on the tide from the loch.
My father in law bought one of the 'shares' when it opened and did so for the good reason that American subs and fish farms do not work well together.... Holy Loch is blessed by the former rather than being cursed with the latter.
The Holy loch was heavily polluted during its time as an American nuclear base ; hardly a blessing I would say.