River Don

Sloggi

Reaction score
Here are a few pics/reports from me of the Don

Had a day at Fetternear today. The beat sits between Manar below and ADAA's Kemnay beat above. See fishdon for details

The weather was good - warm, dry, and still. The water was about 6" too low for my liking.

The beat has, in practice, lower and upper beats. One drives to the large lay-by next to the working foot-brigde and finds the following pool:

Looking down to the bridge from the streamy neck

Looking up to the streamy neck

Looking downstream from the bridge

Looking upstream from the bridge

I lost a nice fish from this pool about 20m up from the bridge. The pool is approx 4-5' deep in the middle. There was too much weed along the upper part of the pool which hindered casting and landing fish :'(

The lower part of the pool (below the bridge) is too slow at this height of water - but in high water it fishes well and right down to the lip.

One then drives up to the upper pools and once at the river finds this very nice deep but narrow pool

I worked hard but to no avail trying to tempt two fish here. One was well into double-figures. Had a pull next to the rock in the photo below

Looking back up to the uppermost pool

Once you've fished this pool, you walk down a short way to fish here. The pool runs round the bendand has some deep water although again it needs a bit more water to fish well. Saw one fish here.

This is the pool below the bend. It is my favourite. Fishes well at any height and takes your fly sweetly round as you wait for that smooth take.

Below this pool is an interesting bit of water. The river flow is broken by a series of rocks (man-made?). It's very deep - 6' - above the rocks and the flow turns towards the far back before a canal-like stretch. Fish hold above, below and in the middle of the rocks.

I was lucky enough to land this wee chap on a 3/4" Monkey. He was dripping with sea-lice...about 2 months ago ;D

Overall the beat is interesting and a challenge to fish. I was thinking today I would have liked to have a 15' rod rated for #7-8 lines. Length to work the fly and a light line for gentleness. I fished a 15' LPXe and floating shooting head with intermediate tip.

Not a lot about and nothing fresh - but no other rods on either bank and all for £25 + VAT.

My apologies for not knowing the pool names - maybe someone else knows.

Had an hour or so on the Don today. Here are a few pix of The Streams which is part of the ADAA water:

Looking upstream from the middle of the pool

Looking downstream towards the Cothal Pool (hope I got that right ::)) which is a difficult pool to fish and better suited to the spinner.

The Streams are a good bet at medium to low water. There is a channel running down the middle which holds fish as the water warms up.

In high water, the pool is a touch fast although running fish do stop as above the pool is fast, thin water that will need a good effort to get through.

Today the pool is low and the weed was pretty hard going. So it was Monkey Time ;D

A short struggle produced this wee chap which was readily released. Had a fish have three pulls at the fly shortly afterwards finally taking hold on the fourth attempt. Unfortunately we parted company after a minute or so.

I fished the 3/4" Monkey quite slowly as the water/air was cold and the pool quite fast.

Will have one more go on Saturday before hanging up the waders for the season - where has it all gone :'(

More soon :D

Last edited:

splash

Reaction score
Neil , great report and the Don looks a good place to wet a line. I've only ever fished it for trout but these look like some nice salmon pools particularly if you had some more water

Last edited:

Sloggi

Reaction score
Quite rightly the Don has a superb reputation for trout. However, there are a number of beats that have excellent salmon pools including the ADAA.

Water arrived today :mad:

donnieW

Reaction score
I had 2 days on Lower Parkhill last week (low water) and was lucky enough to be accompanied by Webbie for an afternoon on the first day. Mid afternoon I was walking past a bit of water when Webbie called me back and told me to have a couple of casts............

Conditions were against us with the water being low and not a cloud in sight and we didn't connect with anything else. Two days later I went back with a fellow member of Brechin Angling Club and managed another in a cracking streamy bit of water above one of the lower pools.

I lost another after about 10 minutes of mayhem - couldn't get myself out of the river to follow him when he took off downstream - and eventually he went round a rock. Definitely a river I would like to spend more time on and I reckon Parkhill must be superb when fresh fish are going through. Looking forward to next season already!

Scotview

Reaction score
Don 2007

Great report Neil,

Had a roving ticket this year covering Kintore, Inverurie, Alford.

Not a great year for the Don, not too many fish caught or seen.

Early in the season some very large Brown Trout caught on Dry Fly at Inverurie.

Last edited:

betanut

Reaction score
Certainly it's been a hit and miss season on the Don, but plenty of salmon around this season - when conditions were right - I'm given to understand (tbc) that some beats may have even broken monthly records :eek:
If anything it was a fickle season for the trout fisher and a not bad season for the salmon fisher ;)

Sloggi

Reaction score
Great report Neil,

Had a roving ticket this year covering Kintore, Inverurie, Alford.

Not a great year for the Don, not too many fish caught or seen.

Early in the season some very large Brown Trout caught on Dry Fly at Inverurie.
I think with the high water during the summer most fish would have run through Kintore & Inverurie. I heard of quite a few fish taken at Monymusk during the late spring and I found a few at Fetternear towards the end of the season.

The ADAA had a good September on the Don although the low water may have led to the disappointing October. There were a lot of fish in the ADAA pools but most were stale. I do know one angler who was lucky enough to make contact with a good run during September - and landed 11 fresh fish :cool:

The season may have given the appearance of a poor year due to the high water and few fish in the lower beats, but I'm hoping this enabled the fish to push upstream and prepare for spawning :)

duncanm

Reaction score
DiverDave and Myself were down at kemnay today - saw a lot of fish that were moving and one or two that were definatelty fresh fish.

Connected with 2 kelts and they were very well mended - it certainly pays to err on the side of caution when returning fish as both Dave and I had to look carefully at one of them.....

Sloggi

Reaction score
DiverDave and Myself were down at kemnay today - saw a lot of fish that were moving and one or two that were definatelty fresh fish.

Connected with 2 kelts and they were very well mended - it certainly pays to err on the side of caution when returning fish as both Dave and I had to look carefully at one of them.....
Good to hear you connected :) Up at the Bridge, Dunc? Did you see anything about in the Chapel pools?I'm going to have an hour on Wednesday - hopefully find a springer.

Sloggi

Reaction score
Didn't manage a cast. Too busy at work :( Will have to wait until Friday or Saturday. River looked good though...

Last edited:

ant

Reaction score
Kemnay

Hi,

I spent the afternoon on the don today, started at kemnay and had a cast on the manse pool of lower fintray to finnish.

At Kemnay i fished from the school pool to to tail of the chappel. Had a couple of well mended kelts to 8lb on a floating line with 20ft of extra super fast sinking tip. The fly was a leaded size 6 cascade variant. Lost what was almost certainly a fresh fish of around 10lb by the stone on the chappel pool. A bright fish, deep bodied, and fought like a demon! We sadly parted company after a 5 minute battle!

No one was fishing the manse, i fished there from half 3 till dark with not a touch, just the odd splash in the pool from kelts.

A great day for fishing though the water is a touch low for february, probably not much going to be coming intill the water picks up a bit!

Ant.

ant

Reaction score
Kemnay

Hey sloggi,

The flow by the chapel stone was good, bringing the fly round at a good pace. With 20ft of extra super fast sinktip it was a bit of trouble getting stuck on the bottom though!

Ant

Sloggi

Reaction score
I'll try to get up there on Saturday. Best bet for a springer on the ADAA water although I heard rumours of 4 springers being caught at Parkhill :confused:

Greenalert

Reaction score
Cheers Sloggi

Will hopefully get some decent photos this time with a fully charged camera battery;)

Greenalert

Reaction score
Manar has a good record during the spring. Usually produces some big springers. Wasn't there a 30lb springer taken the season before last?

Yes I think so Slogg

Will get a photo of it which is in the hut, if I remember

Spoke to a lad there last season who fishes there regularly & early season up to April seems to be great

We shall see;)

weecast

Reaction score
fished manar last spring cracking picture in hut of that 30 :cool: snow on ground and im sure it was opening day?
some lovely pools, whole beat is nice water and if i remember £22 a day?
ps take a trout rod the hatch of march browns brought some monster trout up;)