River Don 2021

kenb61

Reaction score
Gents (& any ladies looking in)

There are still some good reviews on ADAA site. Links as below for some of them:

https://www.adaa.org.uk/river-don-2-of-2
https://www.adaa.org.uk/river-don-3-of-3

If you go to the ADAA website, click on the Beats & Maps title on the main bar as opposed to the side menu and you'll find the above in a drop down list and more of the same for the Dee, Ythan and an interesting bit about the Ardlethen bridge.

This should help and as well as summaries it also give maps for beats some in pdf and others in google maps where you can get a good look at the lie of the land and parking info (y)

Donury

Reaction score
Gents (& any ladies looking in)

There are still some good reviews on ADAA site. Links as below for some of them:

https://www.adaa.org.uk/river-don-2-of-2
https://www.adaa.org.uk/river-don-3-of-3

If you go to the ADAA website, click on the Beats & Maps title on the main bar as opposed to the side menu and you'll find the above in a drop down list and more of the same for the Dee, Ythan and an interesting bit about the Ardlethen bridge.

This should help and as well as summaries it also give maps for beats some in pdf and others in google maps where you can get a good look at the lie of the land and parking info (y)
That's the beat summaries I was thinking about.
Thanks for posting the links.

Donury

kenb61

Reaction score
That's the beat summaries I was thinking about.
Thanks for posting the links.

Donury
No worries. They are good. Re the question on fishing north bank down from new bridge downstream. It's not easy using fly from the bank (at least not for me). You can access the water from around the new bridge and hug the bank a good part of the way down, maybe having to get out around a big stone sicking it's head out of water a couple of hundred yards or so from bridge. Getting in further downstream from new bridge is aided by a couple of rope access points one which is just past the Goval burn bridge heading to the new bridge and another further upstream and you could likely wade down from that to the next rope. Heading back to old railway bridge you get in after Goval burn bridge and can get downstream a good bit (around 100 yards or so). Think some of the pools/water is covered in the reviews. I've only fished it a few times last season and it made a change from south bank in terms of scenery but not in catching :rolleyes: Believe it is a good spot though(y)

Donury

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ken.Very useful.

More than twenty springers in one day from Cockers!
I would have loved to see that.

Donury

kenb61

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ken.Very useful.

More than twenty springers in one day from Cockers!
I would have loved to see that.

Donury
Would be nice to see but highly unlikely. Had a wander to Parkhill this morning, pretty murky and high so gave it a miss.

kenb61

Reaction score
It was indeed a nice looking fish. Plenty folk out today at Cockers, busiest I've seen the car park. No luck today but will give it another go tomorrow. Good to get back out and hopefully the pace of water slows a wee bit.

kenb61

Reaction score
Bonnie looking fish today on Upper Parkhill of ADAA waters. Weight estimated at 14lb and photo on ADAA members FB page.

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
Looked a bit bigger than 14 tbf, super fish and well done the captor. A good sized fish from the don these days.

DCH

kenb61

Reaction score
Probably better leaving Parkhill until early next week or head elsewhere. Had a wee shuftie today and water looks like it could be near perfect next week if not much more rain coming through(y)

kenb61

Reaction score
Would be good to try Kemnay as not been there yet, but currently out of my reach with the 5 mile restrictions. May give a wee go down by Woodside.

kenb61

Reaction score
A few off ADAA beats (Upper Parkhill and the streams area of Lower Fintray) over the last couple of days, believe a couple around 7lb mark and one not stated which was posted on FB today and looks a nice fish. Been out myself a few times still managing to blank. Doubt will get out much next week due to the winter weather coming in from Monday. May give it a go tomorrow morning.

Donury

Reaction score
A few off ADAA beats (Upper Parkhill and the streams area of Lower Fintray) over the last couple of days, believe a couple around 7lb mark and one not stated which was posted on FB today and looks a nice fish. Been out myself a few times still managing to blank. Doubt will get out much next week due to the winter weather coming in from Monday. May give it a go tomorrow morning.
Had a go at Kemnay this afternoon but no joy.
Not even a kelt so far this season but early days and hopefully April will deliver!

Donury

kenb61

Reaction score
Had a go at Kemnay this afternoon but no joy.
Not even a kelt so far this season but early days and hopefully April will deliver!

Donury
I have had one wee brownie and that's been it, had a couple of small knocks though so signs are there even if blanking for now. Seems to be fish passing through so as you say hopefully April delivers. Will head up to Kemnay after 26th when stay local is no more (y)

Out for a couple of hours this morning and only seen one other guy down from house pool at Parkhill bridge, probably a few up by Cockers and the streams. Was a bit breezy casting off south bank so had a go on north. Someone needs to pass a message on to the swans (helluva lot this season) that their island is further upstream not down near Goval :ROFLMAO:

westie4566

Reaction score
I have had one wee brownie and that's been it, had a couple of small knocks though so signs are there even if blanking for now. Seems to be fish passing through so as you say hopefully April delivers. Will head up to Kemnay after 26th when stay local is no more (y)

Out for a couple of hours this morning and only seen one other guy down from house pool at Parkhill bridge, probably a few up by Cockers and the streams. Was a bit breezy casting off south bank so had a go on north. Someone needs to pass a message on to the swans (helluva lot this season) that their island is further upstream not down near Goval :ROFLMAO:
Did all the usual, (and unusual) lies form Benzies down to the walking bridge this afternoon. River was in great ply. I had one offer off something in one well proven lie. Other than that it was a quiet but pleasant place to be on a sunny April day.

Must say that yon bloody great Beech tree that landed across Benzies in early December 19 has done our side a big favour. The extra flow has dug out our side just great.

I'll be fishing Benzies a lot more now. (y)

kenb61

Reaction score
Did all the usual, (and unusual) lies form Benzies down to the walking bridge this afternoon. River was in great ply. I had one offer off something in one well proven lie. Other than that it was a quiet but pleasant place to be on a sunny April day.

Must say that yon bloody great Beech tree that landed across Benzies in early December 19 has done our side a big favour. The extra flow has dug out our side just great.

I'll be fishing Benzies a lot more now. (y)
Aye its a nice wee stretch and heard there was now a nice bit by the tree. Was there a couple of weeks back but water still too fast flowing and fished just to the top of Benzies. Need to get my backside down again and stop being so lazy mainly fishing Parkhill(y)