River Don 2021

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
In homage to the departing president ..... let’s make The Don great again !!

1610203197890.gif

Well, let’s start with a good natured fishing thread for 2021 👍

SOS

Reaction score
What would they think of the decline now?IMG_20210109_201043.jpgIMG_20210109_200117.jpgIMG_20210109_200132.jpgIMG_20210109_194541.jpg

Sorry about the cr@p photos just experimenting

SOS

Reaction score
That’s really interesting. Thanks for posting. Presumably it’s on the Web? If you like this stuff I can recommend the website HATHI TRUST. Search under catalogue but maybe you know already.
It is from the statement of an inquiry in 1859 about 40 pages, of which i received a copy, the river netsmen were blaming the fixed engine coastal nets for the decline in their net catches by showing what their catches were before and after fixed engine netting
The page with the catches are for one short period from one station, there are many other pages with catches for both the Dee and the Don but most of them give the weights of the catch rather than the numbers.

Maggy

Reaction score
It is from the statement of an inquiry in 1859 about 40 pages, of which i received a copy, the river netsmen were blaming the fixed engine coastal nets for the decline in their net catches by showing what their catches were before and after fixed engine netting
The page with the catches are for one short period from one station, there are many other pages with catches for both the Dee and the Don but most of them give the weights of the catch rather than the numbers.
Well there’s a big clue for you in a Cyclops post showing a bridge picture over the Don in 1783. I’ll let you work on it. Thanks

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
Great posts SOS, but you just know where this is all going to lead .... I’ll set my alarm 🚨

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
Well there’s a big clue for you in a Cyclops post showing a bridge picture over the Don in 1783. I’ll let you work on it. Thanks
Lol .... it’s been staring us in the face all these years as to why catches have dropped off .... .... we need to start wearing flat caps again 🤓

( ❄️ 🧊 🥶 )

SOS

Reaction score
Great posts SOS, but you just know where this is all going to lead .... I’ll set my alarm 🚨
Not sure if you are referring to past discussions on the reasons for the Salmons decline.
Whereas before I went along with the biologists saying the problems are at sea, I have now flipped, and although there are most certainly problems at sea I now think most of the problems are in river.
In the latest presentation by the Don board/trust in October there are a couple of articles that don't make good reading.
First one is the electrofishing survey results, the counts for fry were very poor to say the least, the counts for parr although a bit better were still very poor.
Second was the smolt tracking results, O.K. it was a small sample, but only 4 smolts made it to the lower river and only 2 made it out to sea.

This suggests there are problems in the river, and is a chicken sorry Salmon and egg situation, are there less eggs because there is less Salmon or are there less Salmon because there are less eggs.
Why in a burn like the leochel where there used to be an average redd count of over a hundred is it down to about a fifth of that?
This is IMO we have to find out, and that might give us the answers as to why the Salmon catch is down to around 300 compared to over 2000 not too many years ago.
Instead, the biologists have had us thinking that the problem is at sea .
Having attended a few Don board meetings the outcome is normally well let's hope it is better next season.
What should happen again my opinion is to identify the problem whether it is pollution, predation or whatever in each burn and find the solution and move on to the next.

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
I was meaning that these discussions have been done to death on salmons decline, as in post #26 here’s hoping this can be a positive good natured thread with positive regular contributions for 2021 with lots of pictures of fish, places of fishing and all things the river being discussed, without being derailed or infighting, for those that genuinely fish and care for this river.

Last edited:

highlander gus

Reaction score
Not sure if you are referring to past discussions on the reasons for the Salmons decline.
Whereas before I went along with the biologists saying the problems are at sea, I have now flipped, and although there are most certainly problems at sea I now think most of the problems are in river.
In the latest presentation by the Don board/trust in October there are a couple of articles that don't make good reading.
First one is the electrofishing survey results, the counts for fry were very poor to say the least, the counts for parr although a bit better were still very poor.
Second was the smolt tracking results, O.K. it was a small sample, but only 4 smolts made it to the lower river and only 2 made it out to sea.

This suggests there are problems in the river, and is a chicken sorry Salmon and egg situation, are there less eggs because there is less Salmon or are there less Salmon because there are less eggs.
Why in a burn like the leochel where there used to be an average redd count of over a hundred is it down to about a fifth of that?
This is IMO we have to find out, and that might give us the answers as to why the Salmon catch is down to around 300 compared to over 2000 not too many years ago.
Instead, the biologists have had us thinking that the problem is at sea .
Having attended a few Don board meetings the outcome is normally well let's hope it is better next season.
What should happen again my opinion is to identify the problem whether it is pollution, predation or whatever in each burn and find the solution and move on to the next.
If there is reduced numbers returning from the sea to spawn you will get reduced reds, the salmon farms haven't helped and high seas trawling is what is putting the most pressure on the stocks, having hatcheries would only reduce the number of fish spawning where they would naturally end up and if carried out wrongly might over populate the sections of river where they are released, the west coast has been more or less decimated and unfortunately you east coast chappies are catching up, if you have proof it's perdition in the riversit would be interesting to know what type it is, as our local system has flotillas of fish eating ducks on it but due to it's urban connotation we can't shot them

Maggy

Reaction score
If there is reduced numbers returning from the sea to spawn you will get reduced reds, the salmon farms haven't helped and high seas trawling is what is putting the most pressure on the stocks, having hatcheries would only reduce the number of fish spawning where they would naturally end up and if carried out wrongly might over populate the sections of river where they are released, the west coast has been more or less decimated and unfortunately you east coast chappies are catching up, if you have proof it's perdition in the riversit would be interesting to know what type it is, as our local system has flotillas of fish eating ducks on it but due to it's urban connotation we can't shot them
Though its rather a technical point, adult salmon and sea-trout outrun trawls. It’s the purse seiners, after herring and mackerel which take post-smolts, which have greatest effect at sea.

meyre

Reaction score
Cyclops

Many thanks ..just seen your map of the magnificent autobahn going around Inverurie.

What a splendid addition , allowing so many the chance to skim through Fetternear glancing at the pretty pools and beats of Garples, Chapel and perhaps to get a glimpse of the little suspension bridge and Burnhervie beyond.

Magic!

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
I doubt you’ll see much of those places you mention as just too far upstream and out of view, but could be wrong.

john mckenzie

Reaction score
Funny enough, my renewal ticket came in the post today. All good to go for another season.

We'll need to sort a day on the river soon John.

Funny enough, my renewal ticket came in the post today. All good to go for another season.

We'll need to sort a day on the river soon John.
Morning Andy yes indeed we will, can't wait to get my new #4 on the water still can't get over how light and thin it is as i said before always heavier #8#9 is all i have used for years, and away from tying LURES :) had to learn the art of Dubbing, when guys said half what you thing on thread what they should have said was half of half then half that again THEN I GOT IT lol so size 12's 14's are my go to fly size now and it's great so yip any time.
speaking of meeting up do you know Ken61 he booked a rod for Culter this coming Tuesday and i had booked Wednesday so he was going to have a drive over just for a look and know what to expect and said more than welcome to meet and have a look, well me did meet yesterday morning parked at Mary Culter Hotel and walked as far as the house with the garden, and i must say it's a cracking beat for me to practice my casting, wade out a lot further than i imagined easy excess onto the water which was not flowing half as bad as i thought it would so has got me looking forward to it even more.
sorry im going on a bit, but with this bloody lockdown everything outside in a bonus :)

Donury

Reaction score
Cyclops

Many thanks ..just seen your map of the magnificent autobahn going around Inverurie.

What a splendid addition , allowing so many the chance to skim through Fetternear glancing at the pretty pools and beats of Garples, Chapel and perhaps to get a glimpse of the little suspension bridge and Burnhervie beyond.

Magic!
I don't think Fetternear and the Garples pools will be visible but most of the Manar beat will be,along with a large part of the Inverurie beat downstream.

Donury