River Don 2021

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
Local association beat permit and access to a local beat on the Don once again last year, a few highs and lows in what was a challenging year COVID and water wise but I found some sport. Brown trout fishing was excellent.

Tight lines to all who fish the Don in 2021 and still hopeful that catches improve to those of yesteryear

DCH 👁️

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
A96 Dualling River Don at Inverurie plans, looks to cross the river just above the upper beat limit and Manar lower limit. Shelter when it’s torrential rain I suppose
8A24DCAD-BE9C-43A2-9CF3-22BA27B4150D.jpeg

DCH

sealicer

Reaction score
Looks like the new road will go right over the middle of the chapel at Manar.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Never fished the Don but I'll definitely be having a go this season 👍 especially for the brownies 🎣
Just some of the best wild brown trout fishing on the dry fly you find anywhere imo? Fish of four pounds are not uncommon with 6-8lbers caught every year. Were this in America the trout fishing would be lauded imo?

Sea trout run is very short and earlier than most rivers imo, with May, June being the optimum time that will take trout flies in the daytime.

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Never fished the Don but I'll definitely be having a go this season 👍 especially for the brownies 🎣

Have you ever fished the Deveron for Brownies? I know Paul Proctor rates the Deveron as much as the Don for specemin brown trout.

Maggy

Reaction score
are you in the photo?
No, my walking stick broke on the ice. I came across an old ref to the Don though the other day in a book by Menzies.

He stated the excellent condition of trout was due to their following smolts downstream then following elvers back up. Ta for the info.

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
You could take a picture of that extract and share it in the thread, be a good read

Maggy

Reaction score
No, my walking stick broke on the ice. I came across an old ref to the Don though the other day in a book by Menzies.

He stated the excellent condition of trout was due to their following smolts downstream then following elvers back up. Ta for the info.
They’ll get piles sitting on that bridge. I’ve only been to Aberdeen a handful of times. Never to fish though I was shown over a Dee beat, maybe Kincardine or similar. There were good sea-trout catches c May and/ or June last year according to Fishpal. I seem to have replied to myself.

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
😂... reply away.... looks like it might just be me and you on this thread forevermore as there’s a good chance I’m being forum dingied

Maggy

Reaction score
😂... reply away.... looks like it might just be me and you on this thread forevermore as there’s a good chance I’m being forum dingied
Not with you ?

Don not in Menzies Index so it will take a few days. Now I’ve got you - why’s that then ?

Cyclops

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
Love reading and learning about the history of the Don. Been some great books on the river down the years.

Andrew B

Reaction score

Interesting stuff. The Don as I remember it had massive beds of ranculas( not sure if that’s spelt correctly) and on some days like on Chalk streams the weed cutting upstream could be a problem for the Salmon anglers. That would be my guess at the size of the trout as there are some really good hatches of fly. I’ve seen pics of large trout on the Don from the Manse pool taken at night by sea trout anglers and they were often those big headed cannibal type fish.

Off hand I would say the Don, Deveron and the Annan all have some of the very best wild trout fishing in the country?

Maggy

Reaction score
Love reading and learning about the history of the Don. Been some great books on the river down the years.
It’s only a few words but ill get it to you. Kip calls now goodnight. Listening to sad news about COVID down south.

Maggy

Reaction score
You’re a poet
but didn‘t know it
go to Don
and tak a scon
you May go to Dee
but it’s a hell of a fee

SOS

Reaction score
I for one have not dingied you.
I am just scunnered by the way my club is being run, the lack of foresight on the river as a whole by the board, and some of the comments by the mods on this forum when a post does not agree with their own opinions.
But then again these are just my opinions.