River Deveron Salmon Fishing

westie4566

Reaction score
Thanks for the video and glad you enjoyed your week.

'Brilliant' isn't quite how I'd describe an October week with only 8 hooked and 5 landed though, sorry.

The Deveron is the river I grew up fishing and I know only too well that in the old days 5 a day in October was pretty normal. Wow how things have changed in just a mere 30 years. It's rather sad.

The main thing though is that you clearly enjoyed your week on a lovely river! So that's reason for cheer(y)

scoops

Reaction score
Great place to spend a week, looks like yous had cracking water and whole beat would have fished well, see yous had a fish in the March pool, I tried there for 8 years and never had a touch even though it looked like a nice pool for the fly

James McKenna

Reaction score

'Brilliant' isn't quite how I'd describe an October week with only 8 hooked and 5 landed though, sorry.

The Deveron is the river I grew up fishing and I know only too well that in the old days 5 a day in October was pretty normal. Wow how things have changed in just a mere 30 years. It's rather sad.

The main thing though is that you clearly enjoyed your week on a lovely river! So that's reason for cheer(y)
I meant brilliant as in enjoyment. We have fished other rivers and only had 1 or 2 in a week so it was a change. I have only been salmon fly fishing for 3/4 years now being 18 so have never experienced the proper runs back in the hay days so it is based off my own experiences.

westie4566

Reaction score
I meant brilliant as in enjoyment. We have fished other rivers and only had 1 or 2 in a week so it was a change. I have only been salmon fly fishing for 3/4 years now being 18 so have never experienced the proper runs back in the hay days so it is based off my own experiences.
Wish you'd had the chance to fish it when I was your age, man it was some river then! (y)

Andrew B

Reaction score

Must of been something albeit it’s not too long ago when T&S were calling it as the best river after the big four rivers?

alan

Reaction score
I had 11 days on the Deveron this year, 7 on Marnoch, 3 on Tutury and 1 at Avochie.
Had some very good dry fly fishing for brownies after giving up on the salmon. No water, bright sunshine. First time I saw a fish was on Avochie and they were all kippers.
I've fished the Deveron since the early 80s never seen it so low or run any water off so fast. Went to Marnoch on the Tuesday and it was bank high but spinable (if there is such a word).Caught a brownie about 3.5 lbs on a rap.
5 days later I was back again on the Sunday for a week and it was bare bones, never seen it drop that quick before.
The OP James McKenna caught the river perfect. I watch the vid and kept thinking ("I remember 1 from there, Oh and 1 from there").
Catch the Deveron right and its as good as any river in Britain.
best regards
Alan

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Nice video, lovely looking water. Back in the 80s, our family used to take a week on the beat above (Eucheries) and Turtory in August. My first ever salmon was caught in the run into the big pool a few hundred yards upstream of the bridge (quickly followed by 2 more !).

We had some good weeks and sometimes quite a lot of fish in the river. The main issue with the Deveron is that it can take quite a while to clear after a flood, lots of rich soils along its banks !

Last edited: