River Deel - Mayo

Reaction score
All I have been saying is that it is not always possible to contact landowners and has been already stated on here if a landowner does not want you on their land they will erect signage. I have fished all over the west of Ireland for 40 years and could count on one hand issues I have had with landowners. I like my fishing off the beaten track and will often cover many kilometers in one day passing through many different farms and lands and generally stick within a few meters of the river. It is not feasible to contact every single landowner through whose land I am passing but I respect the property as if it were my own.
The question of salmon stocks being critically low on the Deel has also been raised. The Deel is far from just a spawning stream. I would say most of the spawning is done above Deel bridge and there's not much fishing going on up there. If you are so concerned about the stocks on the Deel then I hope you only fish the Moy above the lake river as how would you know a fish caught below it is not destined for the Deel. If you only practice catch and release then fair enough.

Lee95

Reaction score
All I have been saying is that it is not always possible to contact landowners and has been already stated on here if a landowner does not want you on their land they will erect signage. I have fished all over the west of Ireland for 40 years and could count on one hand issues I have had with landowners. I like my fishing off the beaten track and will often cover many kilometers in one day passing through many different farms and lands and generally stick within a few meters of the river. It is not feasible to contact every single landowner through whose land I am passing but I respect the property as if it were my own.
The question of salmon stocks being critically low on the Deel has also been raised. The Deel is far from just a spawning stream. I would say most of the spawning is done above Deel bridge and there's not much fishing going on up there. If you are so concerned about the stocks on the Deel then I hope you only fish the Moy above the lake river as how would you know a fish caught below it is not destined for the Deel. If you only practice catch and release then fair enough

Lee95

Reaction score
The question of salmon stocks being critically low on the Deel has also been raised. The Deel is far from just a spawning stream. I would say most of the spawning is done above Deel bridge and there's not much fishing going on up there. If you are so concerned about the stocks on the Deel then I hope you only fish the Moy above the lake river as how would you know a fish caught below it is not destined for the Deel. If you only practice catch and release then fair enough.
From what I can make out here is that, the lad who started the argument, thinks because he is from Crossmolina he does t want outsiders fishing it.
I spent all my summers since I was a kid wandering for miles along different rivers in mayo and I never had any trouble from farmers. I’m sure you will come across a right bad farmer at some stage but most of them I have met have stopped for a chat and told me be careful of the bull and mind the fence etc...
All that the argument on here has done has drawn more attention to the river...
I don’t normally post argumetive things on this forum because, that’s not what fishing is about and everybody on here has been really helpful to me. But this talk (of best keep away from the river unless c and release )has realy bugged me but anyway.
How does he know what the stocks are like in this river does he walk the spawning streams and keep notes every winter?
My opinion what’s not going to help this river is all these anglers putting videos and pictures on fishhook Eire.
One lad out looking for fly water isn’t going to do much damage. But anyway I said my peace and am going to let this go🤝🙂

moysalmo

Reaction score
From what I can make out here is that, the lad who started the argument, thinks because he is from Crossmolina he does t want outsiders fishing it.
I spent all my summers since I was a kid wandering for miles along different rivers in mayo and I never had any trouble from farmers. I’m sure you will come across a right bad farmer at some stage but most of them I have met have stopped for a chat and told me be careful of the bull and mind the fence etc...
All that the argument on here has done has drawn more attention to the river...
I don’t normally post argumetive things on this forum because, that’s not what fishing is about and everybody on here has been really helpful to me. But this talk (of best keep away from the river unless c and release )has realy bugged me but anyway.
How does he know what the stocks are like in this river does he walk the spawning streams and keep notes every winter?
My opinion what’s not going to help this river is all these anglers putting videos and pictures on fishhook Eire.
One lad out looking for fly water isn’t going to do much damage. But anyway I said my peace and am going to let this go🤝🙂
✌🏻

fishy1001

Reaction score
There is no real debate on this topic unless ye don't recognize the inland fisheries as an official government body.
Snapchat-1938595785.jpg

Reaction score
No one is arguing about what is on the IFI website. It would be fantastic to be able to contact all the relevant landowners. It's just not possible.

Reaction score
Fishing the deel river for the past 20 years and living in the area for the past 17 years.

First things first its not a designated salmon river. Its a brown trout river.

Second. Fishing the river is free and there has never been issues regarding permission from landowners.

State licence required if salmon fishing on it and current regulations stated on ifi website apply, 1 fish per day with a maximum of 3 fish up to the 11th May. 12th May 3 fish per day up until 31st August and 1 fish per day from September till close of season.

No licence required when fishing brown trout, pike or coarse fish.

Best of the flyfishing for salmon takes place above crossmolina, Richmond school ect. Spate required for best results.

Lower end of the river is mainly, spinning and prawn fishing and a little worming can be down.

Down at the lower end of the river youll get no flow when lough conn is at a winter level as it backs the river right up. When the lake is at a normal level or summer level and the river hits a spate, there doesn't be a problem with flow on the lower reachs of the river and all methods can be fished.

Reading the above posts its obvious some ppl want the river to themselves which is not a surprise, my answer to them is go and take a run and jump.

To all others, go and fish and tight lines for 2021.

Robbie

Petekd

Reaction score
Fishing the deel river for the past 20 years and living in the area for the past 17 years.

Second. Fishing the river is free and there has never been issues regarding permission from landowners.

State licence required if salmon fishing on it and current regulations stated on ifi website apply, 1 fish per day with a maximum of 3 fish up to the 11th May. 12th May 3 fish per day up until 31st August and 1 fish per day from September till close of season.

Best of the flyfishing for salmon takes place above crossmolina, Richmond school ect. Spate required for best results.

Lower end of the river is mainly, spinning and prawn fishing and a little worming can be down.

Down at the lower end of the river youll get no flow when lough conn is at a winter level as it backs the river right up. When the lake is at a normal level or summer level and the river hits a spate, there doesn't be a problem with flow on the lower reachs of the river and all methods can be fished.

Reading the above posts its obvious some ppl want the river to themselves which is not a surprise, my answer to them is go and take a run and jump.

Robbie
Proper helpful reply, nice one Robbie.

Reaction score

Robbie
Fair play for the excellent and very helpful input Robbie. I'm sure it's exactly what the original poster was after and exactly what this forum is about, advice for genuine anglers from genuine anglers. I love fishing from Deel Bridge down. It tends to be quiet and on a falling flood in August the trout fishing can be fantastic and there's always the chance of a grilse. Wild fishing at it's best with friendly welcoming landowners!