River Dargle (Poaching)

Robbie_superlung

Reaction score
This is a copy of a letter sent to IFI headquarters. This is not only happening on this river but on many other closed rivers. A closed river for salmon and sea trout is an open river for poaching. More action needs to be taken.

I am writing to you on behalf of concerned Members of the Dargle Anglers Club to express our concerns for the future of the Dargle River as a viable and productive amenity asset to the people of bray district,Angling Tourists and members of the club.

The river was closed for migratory species fishing four years ago.Since then as a result of no legal angling activity on the river there has been an big increase in poaching activity. It is common knowledge that many large Salmon and Seatrout? figures in the hundreds have been mentioned, were illegally taken last year and fish taken already this year.We as Members of the Dargle Anglers Club feel that our presence as anglers on the Dargle during the season would greatly reduce Illegal activity and enhance the effectiveness of your staff in controling and reducing poaching in the future This could be achieved through cooperation between club members and your staff in random patrolling the river 24 7 and agreed methods for effectly reporting illegal activity.A substantial part of the club membership is more than willing to help in keeping the river clear of debris and assisting your hard pressed staff with redd clearing,upgrading and fry and spawning fish counting. Unfortunately, the moral of the members is at a very low ebb at the moment due to the continuing closure of the river and the lack of positve imformation regarding its future.We are losing members at a huge rate,down from 150 four years ago to 44 this year mainly because of the closure of the river.I can assure you that the loss of membership is not due to the state of the economy as i am sure you will agree, fishermen will find a way to fish regardless.This has a bearing on the willing of members to give up their time for to protect an amenity to which they feel they may never have access to in forseeable future.Surely it is possible as a means of facilitating members of the club to resume fishing if only in a very limited way, mayby a brown tag system as operated on Glenamoy River Mayo where i am a member.Such a move would have a very positive affect on our members and be greatly appreciated.I would add that where it to happen the club committee would undertake to enforce adherance to the conditions set out as far as is humanly possible. Would you please confirm for us the current standing of the river in regard to fishing. I caught my first trout on the Dargle fishing with my father when I was seven in 1946 and along with other long serving members we are determined to do whatever it takes to preserve our wonderful fishing facility and restore fishing. I trust that you will accept the foregoing as a positive indication of our concerns,feelings and hopes for a positive future of our river as a fine and contributing amenity for the bray district anglers, tourism and the local economy.

Kind Regards,

Neville

jamescasey

Banned
Reaction score
i hope this has a hapi ending for your club. but jumping from a closed fishery to a brown tag system in one move seems to be a tall task. pushing for c&r might have been better. i just hope this doesnt fall on deaf ears for ye's. good luck with this can keep us posted

easky

Reaction score
Robbie - is the river still open for brown trout fishing? that would allow members (anglers) onto the river to act as a deterrent with regard to poaching and it would also help to keep some angling interest up for members?

Last edited:

rrw35

Reaction score
Why should anglers be expected to protect a river they do not have access to? It's not their responsibility. It's the indifference of the authorities that is seeing these rivers being cleaned out by poaching.

reddie

Reaction score
Good luck with this letter, I really do hope it works out for ye. You've shown lots of enthusiasm and willingness as a club to work out the current problems. Are there other clubs, syndicates, B&B's, etc on the river? If so come together and make a joint effort. Some day, hopefully soon, the IFI will realise that a river open is some sort of way rather than just point blank closed is the way forward. I think they are starting to realise it with changes to status' of rivers every year but they seem to be the bigger rivers, whereas its the smaller rivers that are far more fragile, in my opinion. And every year these rivers remain closed without status change and usual very little done to ascertain what differences might have occurred with the stock, ie is it improving/degrading. Very little science used. Hopefully soon it will work out for your river, aswell as many other small rivers.

tangles

Reaction score
There is a quirk in the law that allows fishing for sea trout under 40 cm
It should be open c and r however as the dargle has a long history of poaching..
The liffey is in the same jocker with gimps spinning at islandbridge every day....
I might copy that letter and bang it in myself
Others may do likewise?

coffin dodger

Reaction score
There is a quirk in the law that allows fishing for sea trout under 40 cm
It should be open c and r however as the dargle has a long history of poaching..
The liffey is in the same jocker with gimps spinning at islandbridge every day....
I might copy that letter and bang it in myself
Others may do likewise?
the lunatics running the asylum spring to mind i bet the people who make these decisions to close rivers couldnt even tell u what specieses are even in the river and whats going on in and around the rivers they are closing MUPPETS:mad:

jack2

Reaction score
Dargle poaching

the lunatics running the asylum spring to mind i bet the people who make these decisions to close rivers couldnt even tell u what specieses are even in the river and whats going on in and around the rivers they are closing MUPPETS:mad:
Only an active angling club and their members can save this river.

resources are not there to control poaching it

I know as I have fished it and witnessed how the boys clean it out

Colin Folan

Reaction score
Get on to Derek Evans who writes the angling notes in the Irish Times on Mondays. He has no loyalty to the IFI, he just cares a lot. He has told me before that if I ever needed anything "contraversial" printed he would oblige. He told me a story last year about a court case involving a poacher on the Dargle.

derekevans@iol.ie derekevans@iol.ie

Neville Mc C. by any chance?

fiery brown

Reaction score
This is a copy of a letter sent to IFI headquarters. This is not only happening on this river but on many other closed rivers. A closed river for salmon and sea trout is an open river for poaching. More action needs to be taken.

I am writing to you on behalf of concerned Members of the Dargle Anglers Club to express our concerns for the future of the Dargle River as a viable and productive amenity asset to the people of bray district,Angling Tourists and members of the club.

The river was closed for migratory species fishing four years ago.Since then as a result of no legal angling activity on the river there has been an big increase in poaching activity. It is common knowledge that many large Salmon and Seatrout? figures in the hundreds have been mentioned, were illegally taken last year and fish taken already this year.We as Members of the Dargle Anglers Club feel that our presence as anglers on the Dargle during the season would greatly reduce Illegal activity and enhance the effectiveness of your staff in controling and reducing poaching in the future This could be achieved through cooperation between club members and your staff in random patrolling the river 24 7 and agreed methods for effectly reporting illegal activity.A substantial part of the club membership is more than willing to help in keeping the river clear of debris and assisting your hard pressed staff with redd clearing,upgrading and fry and spawning fish counting. Unfortunately, the moral of the members is at a very low ebb at the moment due to the continuing closure of the river and the lack of positve imformation regarding its future.We are losing members at a huge rate,down from 150 four years ago to 44 this year mainly because of the closure of the river.I can assure you that the loss of membership is not due to the state of the economy as i am sure you will agree, fishermen will find a way to fish regardless.This has a bearing on the willing of members to give up their time for to protect an amenity to which they feel they may never have access to in forseeable future.Surely it is possible as a means of facilitating members of the club to resume fishing if only in a very limited way, mayby a brown tag system as operated on Glenamoy River Mayo where i am a member.Such a move would have a very positive affect on our members and be greatly appreciated.I would add that where it to happen the club committee would undertake to enforce adherance to the conditions set out as far as is humanly possible. Would you please confirm for us the current standing of the river in regard to fishing. I caught my first trout on the Dargle fishing with my father when I was seven in 1946 and along with other long serving members we are determined to do whatever it takes to preserve our wonderful fishing facility and restore fishing. I trust that you will accept the foregoing as a positive indication of our concerns,feelings and hopes for a positive future of our river as a fine and contributing amenity for the bray district anglers, tourism and the local economy.

Kind Regards,

Neville
you should be able to fish for brownies and white trout of less than 40 cm using fly...

Casualangler

Reaction score

Kind Regards,

Neville
How did you guys get on with this?
Did the "authorities" see sense ??
Beautiful river !!

Last edited:

rivermist

Reaction score

silver shadow

Reaction score
The IFI are a complete disgrace from top to bottom. There only in it for a wage. Salmon and seatrout are an alien species to 99.9% of them morrons. If i were a member i'd fish away if the poaching is as bad as you say. At the end of the day you wont meet a member of the IFI. They will be hiding incase they get a hiding from the river rats. Tight lines on the Dargle.

Last edited:

Marcus c

Reaction score
Maybe a method to the madness_saw the same happen to rivers down the south_first they were closed to fishing_after a while the clubs collapsed due to members going elsewhere_river then gets taken over as no club=no contest and locals are charged a daily rate ,the same as tourists ,to fish their own river.Funny how some people always want to "mind" things for you.l wish ye luck

bencarvosso

Reaction score
Used to fish the river a lot in the 90s up at lady gouldings and hugh duffs stretch.
Some lovely night fishing at hughs for the sea trout.
Used to see some seriously dodgy goings on down in bray... always had problems.
Remember my father writing about it in the paper in the 80s

KerrySalmon

Reaction score
Fishing is open for sea trout up to 40cm. You may fish but return all sea trout over 40cm and Atlantic salmon. You may have to fish with barbless hooks to facilitate release of salmon or 40cm sea trout. The river is not closed for brown trout of smaller sea trout. Certain methods may not conform to these practices.

Enniskerry 2020

Reaction score
Itd be great to get more proper fishermen/woman back on the dargle to see what the actual numbers of sea trout are in the river and also to help minimize the level of poaching, through our present alone.

Enniskerry 2020

Reaction score
Used to fish the river a lot in the 90s up at lady gouldings and hugh duffs stretch.
Some lovely night fishing at hughs for the sea trout.
Used to see some seriously dodgy goings on down in bray... always had problems.
Remember my father writing about it in the paper in the 80s
Yeah I was reading old news paper reports from the 80s. I think 86 had a serious run of sea trout and salmon and they were hammered as they past through Bray. Unfortunately the last 5yr that I've fished the dargle on a more regular basis the fishing has been poor to say the least.

bencarvosso

Reaction score
I've not fished it since 2002
Moved to the north west.
My pal in ifi said the runs have depleted by 80pc in recent times