River Clyde 2021

keirstream

Reaction score
I open this thread with the announcement that a good friend of mine, by far the finest fly caster on the river (in his opinion) and, by
his own admission can cast a fly from Dalserf to Largs has blinded a colony of moths that escaped the refuge of the dark confines
of his lockfast wallet and bought a new rod. To whit, a Loop Cross SX 14ft No 9, encouraged by that fine Loop Ambassador, one Jamie McCullough.
I do send my hearty congratulations to Jamie on the back of a monumental personal sales achievement, extracting several hundred quid from Wee Mick.
What a salesman!!!!!!!:cool:
However, that pales into insignificance when you hear the REAL news.
One Rodbender of the Parish of Dalserf, was so impressed by the fine casting ability of Oor Mick wielding his new rod as if it were a wand and sending polytips to the International Space Station, has decided that the Loop is indeed the finest rod he has ever handled(quite a statement, as we all know he has handled more than a few:eek:)
Furthermore, the new season has barely started and he has decided to purchase one for himself.:D
Some things on Clydeside never appear to change.
The wheels of industry, as they say, must continue to turn.(y)(y):D:D

keirstream

Reaction score
Canny stop laughing! I would buy one in a minute but my wife has realized how much they cost :D :D(y)
That's never stopped you before, has it???
Anyway, all you need to do is get some ould Oracle labels from Mick (you know him, top caster and "I can buy 50 Oracles for the price of your Sage"and who has now changed his tune and whistling Dixie like he never said it?) and stick them over the Loop logo. When she checks the price you will automatically log up 100 priceless Brownie Points.:D
Go for it Dougie.
Then I'll shop you to the wife and first dibs are back firmly on the table.:cool:

keirstream

Reaction score
What are the best salmon stretches on this nice recovering river ?
Depends when you fish Lax.
Up until June the best stretches are undoubtedly below Blantyre Weir controlled by Mid Clyde A.A.
But as the water warms the fish move through the pass in numbers and a really good standard of fishing is to be had on U.C.A.P.A. water upstream and fishing continues there until end October with Mid Clyde much quieter by that time.
I took a ticket out for U.C.A.P.A. water for the 1st time in August last year and fished it 3 times for a total of around 12 hours and had 3 salmon.
That was without fishing the known "hot spots" but just out for a few hours chilled fishing with a couple of pals.
What I will say about the Clyde is that it has some of the nicest fly water around.
Little wonder too, that the upper reaches above Lanark contains some of the finest river brown trout fly fishing in Scotland certainly.:cool:

lax0341

Reaction score
That sounds all very interesting and encouraging . Especially as I could fly over to Glasgow and the river is by the doorsteps.

Bruino

Reaction score
That sounds all very interesting and encouraging . Especially as I could fly over to Glasgow and the river is by the doorsteps.
Remember that Scotland has restrictions on all flights in to country. 10 days isolation in a hotel, don't know when that will be lifted.

salmon-seeker

Reaction score
Depends when you fish Lax.
Up until June the best stretches are undoubtedly below Blantyre Weir controlled by Mid Clyde A.A.
But as the water warms the fish move through the pass in numbers and a really good standard of fishing is to be had on U.C.A.P.A. water upstream and fishing continues there until end October with Mid Clyde much quieter by that time.
I took a ticket out for U.C.A.P.A. water for the 1st time in August last year and fished it 3 times for a total of around 12 hours and had 3 salmon.
That was without fishing the known "hot spots" but just out for a few hours chilled fishing with a couple of pals.
What I will say about the Clyde is that it has some of the nicest fly water around.
Little wonder too, that the upper reaches above Lanark contains some of the finest river brown trout fly fishing in Scotland certainly.:cool:

i purchased a ticket for midclyde this season, any other decent places to fish apart from blantyre weir, i heard it can be a bit like blackpool at times

Bruino

Reaction score
i purchased a ticket for midclyde this season, any other decent places to fish apart from blantyre weir, i heard it can be a bit like blackpool at times
Go onto mid clyde website go to anglers information pools map and they have a google maps that shows the main fishing areas.

Hardie82

Reaction score
The UCAPA migratory season permits sold out really quickly this year. Probably because you could buy them online rather than having to visit a shop.

Reaction score
There it is
Season permits are suspended for new members until 1st April. Day tickets are still available.