River Camel

Sim

Reaction score
I’m on my hols in Cornwall and having spotted Butterwell Farm fishings on the internet I decided to sneak my fly rod in with the beach towels etc. It’s a super small river, the beat is well maintained and the owner Sam is very helpful. Its night time fishing for sea trout only at this time of year. There were plenty of fish about and I had a couple of good pulls. Another chap landed one. It’s well worth a look. Sim

Sim

Reaction score
I’m on my hols in Cornwall and having spotted Butterwell Farm fishings on the internet I decided to sneak my fly rod in with the beach towels etc. It’s a super small river, the beat is well maintained and the owner Sam is very helpful. Its night time fishing for sea trout only at this time of year. There were plenty of fish about and I had a couple of good pulls. Another chap landed one. It’s well worth a look. Sim
Two years on (Covid intervened) and I am back in Cornwall so had to have another crack at The Camel at Butterwell.

I was on beats 2 & 3 and they are super, easy casting on a small tree ridden river. I felt like I was going to get into one any minute - all I got was a pull when I was reeling in at the end of a pool.

Back to the Tyne in Autumn next, my first Cornish fish will have to be another year …

Sim

Reaction score
I think it’s abit like everywhere , not what it was. The Butterwell Farm website details the catches over the years. Sam the owner (super chap) said that they had a slow start to the season (like most places) but have been catching recently.

cuda

Reaction score
I’m down in October, was just looking whether to stick some fly gear in as well as bass gear, I’ve been going for the last 5 years but still not tried game fishing.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I’m down in October, was just looking whether to stick some fly gear in as well as bass gear, I’ve been going for the last 5 years but still not tried game fishing.
You’re going to one of the best Bass fly fishing hotspots in the Camel estuary near Padstow. So shallow you can fish in shorts.
October would still be worth doing on the Camel as December no longer does much. I’ve done well in October on the Camel with late running peal in their hundreds which provide good sport at night.

cuda

Reaction score
You’re going to one of the best Bass fly fishing hotspots in the Camel estuary near Padstow. So shallow you can fish in shorts.
October would still be worth doing on the Camel as December no longer does much. I’ve done well in October on the Camel with late running peal in their hundreds which provide good sport at night.
The bass seem to be increasingly evasive…the first year we went, I had over 50, the following year about 30 and the last couple of years only single figures. This is all on surface lures on the open coast and obviously is tide and condition dependent. I have tried the fly in the Camel, only managed mullet and no bass. May try again this year as as you say, it’s a stunning location, October it’ll probably be waders rather than shorts and bare feet but there could be some big girls around by then.

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
The bass seem to be increasingly evasive…the first year we went, I had over 50, the following year about 30 and the last couple of years only single figures. This is all on surface lures on the open coast and obviously is tide and condition dependent. I have tried the fly in the Camel, only managed mullet and no bass. May try again this year as as you say, it’s a stunning location, October it’ll probably be waders rather than shorts and bare feet but there could be some big girls around by then.
Oh well clearly you know the score re fly fishing for Bass? I’ve only done it a few times and I always felt like I was fishing with no confidence, albeit I’ve caught Bass on spinners and various plugs ect so I do know some of the places but I’ve found the same re diminishing numbers. Have you ever been to the small but beautiful place called porthscatho? (Might be spelt wrong) it’s on the south coast of Cornwall in and around the Roseland peninsula?

I’ve done one well with the Bass fishing off the rocks there and perhaps for the purist dry fly fisherman with the added bonus of a sea trout is the passport beat of the river Fal at Grogarth. Probably closed in October but one to think about for the summer and believe me the run of sea trout is not insubstantial and because of the colour can be targeted in the day. Check it out on West Country passport beats?
Don’t forget that as well as Butterwell a low beat, there are weekly tickets for Bodmin Anglers that also have a small beat on the Fowey. Also Liskeard anglers do tickets for the Fowey and my favourite river of them all, the Lyhner.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Only reports I’ve seen are those in the latest T&S but they always a month behind. It said there were a number of Grilse spotted on the Fowey on the Lanhydrock beat and some late school peal. So I’d be surprised if after the recent rain those Cornish rivers didn’t have something to report?