River Bandon

reddie

Reaction score
Season done and dusted for another year. Looking back on the seasons salmon runs, the spring was better and far more encouraging as some fish were caught in March, summer heralded a great run of grilse and summer salmon whilst the autumn was disappointing as fresh fish tapered off around mid August (an observation echoed by many on here in Ireland and in the UK). Looking forward to 2017 already!!

Attachments

• G0181836_1475250845019_high-01.jpg
    G0181836_1475250845019_high-01.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,039

reddie

Reaction score
First spring salmon of 2017

News of the first spring salmon of 2017 landed on the Bandon has been confirmed this evening. Robert O'Flynn Jnr. caught the fish on Wednesday, March 8th, weighing 9lbs on a black Flying C. Well done Robert!

FB_IMG_1489168170336.jpg

reddie

Reaction score
It's been a quite spring down here so far, mostly due to the lack of rain. February and March are usually relatively quite months but April is when the spring run gains momentum. Some nice fish were caught during the month and I got off the mark a couple of weeks ago with a fish of about 6lb. The next flood should see some good fishing.
View attachment 19787

Attachments

• IMG_20170420_221325_140.jpg
    IMG_20170420_221325_140.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:

nore fly

Reaction score
I have just read on facebook that part of the river is been dredged....for flood protection. ...pictures look dreadfull ......is their truth in this story ....looks like the river bed is been ripped out...????and info..

reddie

Reaction score
I have just read on facebook that part of the river is been dredged....for flood protection. ...pictures look dreadfull ......is their truth in this story ....looks like the river bed is been ripped out...????and info..

Hi Nore fly,
Yes the river is currently being dredged for a distance of 3.5km downstream of Bandon. It's a huge project which will see this section of river transformed forever. Mitigation measures, such as pools, fish passes and a counter, will be put in place but that area will never be the same again. At least it hasn't affected the run of salmon this year as fishing has been excellent

Clive

Reaction score
Hi Nore fly,
Yes the river is currently being dredged for a distance of 3.5km downstream of Bandon. It's a huge project which will see this section of river transformed forever. Mitigation measures, such as pools, fish passes and a counter, will be put in place but that area will never be the same again. At least it hasn't affected the run of salmon this year as fishing has been excellent

I have just come down from up the country, and the River looks like a Right Disgrace , its Terrible :(

leckytech

Reaction score
Best areas of BAA for the fly

Hi,

Im organising a trip to the Bandon for a week in june/july. Can anyone recommend good beats [areas] on the Bandon Angling Association for fluff chuckers. Im trying to organise accomodation and want to make sure Im not too far from the beats I need to be on.

Also can anyone tell me where I can acquire the weekly permit from and how/where I get hold of a state rod license and how much they cost for a week.

Many thanks

rivermist

Reaction score
The OPW have well and truly destroyed a huge stretch of this river. The pictures on the internet of the flood relief works would break your heart.
We used to stop in Bandon for a bite to eat on our way to West Cork for the holidays and I loved walking down to the pedestrian bridge over the river to watch the trout rise up to take a fly. Sad to see what's become of that stretch of water now.

reddie

Reaction score
It was an incredibly dry summer and the lower section of river was it of bounds due to flood relief works but thankfully we witnessed some great sport right at the end of the season. A friend of mine put this brilliant short video together from a day where every pool we fished produced something. Enjoy!!

tmca

Reaction score
It was an incredibly dry summer and the lower section of river was it of bounds due to flood relief works but thankfully we witnessed some great sport right at the end of the season. A friend of mine put this brilliant short video together from a day where every pool we fished produced something. Enjoy!!

Brilliant video Reddie, great sized fish too.

Turlough

reddie

Reaction score
It's been a funny oul season with the recent resumption of fishing! Got off the mark Tuesday with a beauty, taken on a small GB cascade. Exciting to watch grilse chasing a Sunray Shadow but no hook up. Some real nice fish still running and grilse making more of an appearance now. Water has dropped again so a drop of rain would be welcome.

IMG_20200630_170806_321.jpg