River alness disease

Oscar

Reaction score
Alness often just misses it, I don't know why.

The Don used to as well, maybe it's just me! Please push it on up to the Thurso...

Oscar.

Kype King

Reaction score
Alness often just misses it, I don't know why.

The Don used to as well, maybe it's just me! Please push it on up to the Thurso...

Oscar.
The Conon & the Kyle of Sutherland rivers catchment area spreads further West than the Alness catchment area and collects a lot of the rainfall that would otherwise go into the Alness. The Alness catchment is also in something of a rain shadow from Ben Wyvis for weather coming in from the West. The best rainfall conditions for the Alness come in from the East.

It appears to be raining on the Alness catchment area right now so will watch the guage with interest! Of course the first spate doesn't necessarily do much as it tends to be very acidic - so hoping for a big clear out now followed by some more heavy rain!!

keirstream

Reaction score
Speaking to a ghillie in the Far North yesterday.
No water since the 1st week in July and he thinks most of the fish that were shoaling in the tidal have either died, been predated or have gone elsewhere. My name is the last one in the book on Tuesday July 7th.:eek::eek:

AlanT

Reaction score
Yes rain badly needed. Took a walk down the river this morning, water still very very low, bare bones. Saw a couple of diseased fish and a couple of dead.
On the plus side I actually saw two fresh fish as well so there are fish waiting around waiting for rain fingers crossed for you guys

Last edited:

Kype King

Reaction score
Yes rain badly needed. Took a walk down the river this morning, water still very very low, bare bones. Saw a couple of diseased fish and a couple of dead.
On the plus side I actually saw two fresh fish as well so there are fish waiting around waiting for rain fingers crossed for you guys
Hi Alan,

Was that on the AA water in the town? Are you getting any rain just now - radar shows it should be tipping down!!

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
The Conon & the Kyle of Sutherland rivers catchment area spreads further West than the Alness catchment area and collects a lot of the rainfall that would otherwise go into the Alness. The Alness catchment is also in something of a rain shadow from Ben Wyvis for weather coming in from the West. The best rainfall conditions for the Alness come in from the East.

It appears to be raining on the Alness catchment area right now so will watch the guage with interest! Of course the first spate doesn't necessarily do much as it tends to be very acidic - so hoping for a big clear out now followed by some more heavy rain!!
The Conon actually gets water piped from the Carron, which is a bit of a sore point... (we've had a little bit of drizzle but I doubt enough to make a difference to any of the rivers and due to the way the sepa website isn't at all in real time we may not even see if any of them have risen till about midnight as it seems to only get updated every 6 hours or so)

AlanT

Reaction score
Hi Alan,

Was that on the AA water in the town? Are you getting any rain just now - radar shows it should be tipping down!!
Yes was just a walk down the AA water this morning. Bn all over the Moray and Cromarty Firths today, although the winds are high there has only been light rain, certainly nothing substantial. Im in Inverness at the moment but again what can only be described as light rain.
My daughter in the Lothians has described torrential rain and streets running like rivers, nothing like that here

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Both I believe. Im not a local, only on holiday but was talking to a couple of anglers on the water today.
I was on the Helmsdale town water last month and most of the fish that came off were really clean. There were a few I seen and caught with just a touch of the red belly. Not bad at all nothing like last season. Here’s one with just a touch of red belly E50EB1CE-B9CD-4F54-9833-0B5973034983.jpeg

AlanT

Reaction score
The guys I was talking to today said that some fish had both red vent and Saprolegnia so not a good situation.
However there were fresh fish about and a good few downpours will improve the stituation
Its a cracking river, can't wait to return in better circumstances

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
In the latest Cromarty Board newsletter, specific mention of the "red belly" (not red vent) disease being present in some Alness fish was mentioned.

Kype King

Reaction score
Wishing all of you who are fishing the Alness next week tight lines! Unfortunately my plans have changed and I will no longer be joining you. The recent rain will hopefully have stirred things up and, if the forecast for the middle of next week is accurate, the end of the week could be absolutely fantastic! Let me know how you get on.

Patrick Hooper

Reaction score
Pathogens which can cause fish diseases to comprise:
  • viral infections, such as esocid lymphosarcoma found in Esox species.
  • bacterial infections, such as Pseudomonas fluorescence leading to fin rot and fish dropsy.
  • fungal infections.
  • water mold infections, such as Saprolegnia sp.
  • metazoan parasites, such as copepods.

Kype King

Reaction score
Looks like you’ve got some nice water chaps - great news! Was on the Conon today and it was over the grass banks! One fish. Spey tomorrow.