River alness disease

Kype King

Reaction score
There‘s been very little water in the river for quite a while now so a lot of fish are stacked in the association water, which is probably what’s causing the disease. Unfortunately, since Roger Dowsett gave up managing the Novar beats the water management of Loch Morie appears to have been extremely limited / non existent so the river is running dangerously low. I’m up in September as well and just hoping for a lot of rain before then!

Last edited:

Piker20

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's probably the same problem as last year which has affected lots of northern rivers. They suggested it was a feeding issue at sea but that wouldn't really explain why some rivers are unaffected

kimbo

Reaction score
Been checking the river levels, lots of rain in Scotland has made little difference to height of water, maybe if we get lots of rain in time we could be in for some good fishing.

Potbellied Pig

Reaction score
Heading up myself in September I really hope we get water I’ve been the past 2 years and only had a couple of small rises in water but enough to get a couple of fish?

Kype King

Reaction score
My understanding is that the spates in July weren’t stored in Loch Morie so don't know how much much water there is to be used. I’m up for a few days next week with the family so will have a look at the Loch. We need a wet start to September!

Last edited:

Kype King

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's probably the same problem as last year which has affected lots of northern rivers. They suggested it was a feeding issue at sea but that wouldn't really explain why some rivers are unaffected

I’m told that the fishery board have removed over 100 dead salmon that are diseased from the lower reaches - I.e Angling Association Water. I suspect that the problem is greatly exacerbated by the fact that the river has been allowed to drop to 2” below summer low, despite there being a healthy amount of water in Loch Morie. The river is unfishable at this height and it is not possible for fish to run so they must be congregating in the deeper pools and this concentration of fish, allied to high water temperature, can only encourage the spread of disease. There needs to be an immediate release of water from the loch and we need to hope for substantial rain in the very near future.

Oscar

Reaction score
Roger’s gone?!

What happened there then? The river seems to have struggled the last few years but it did seem very well managed.

Oscar.

Markymac

Reaction score
I’m told that the fishery board have removed over 100 dead salmon that are diseased from the lower reaches - I.e Angling Association Water. I suspect that the problem is greatly exacerbated by the fact that the river has been allowed to drop to 2” below summer low, despite there being a healthy amount of water in Loch Morie. The river is unfishable at this height and it is not possible for fish to run so they must be congregating in the deeper pools and this concentration of fish, allied to high water temperature, can only encourage the spread of disease. There needs to be an immediate release of water from the loch and we need to hope for substantial rain in the very near future.
This is terrible news. So sad to hear when these things happen ?

AlanT

Reaction score

I was speaking to an angler last night who told me that fishing has been stopped on the Alness (at least until it rains he believes)

Oh, I'd enquired about fishing the AA water as recent as Tuesday this week via Facebook. I'm heading up to Inverness on Sunday but whoever replied never mentioned any of this? Looks like my fishings off!

Tweedside2009

Reaction score
The Alness is still open for fishing. There has been no real rain in the area for some weeks and the river is very low just now. Good numbers of fish are coming into the river and several have been seen crossing the weir every day despite improvement work on the fish pass and parts of the weir that were delayed by COVID. The Fishery Board has removed some diseased fish but there are still a lot of fresh fish. Because of the disease and low water with hot weather the Alness Angling Club decided to stop fishing on the stretch between the weir and the bridge over the A9 because of the risk to fish from the stress of being caught. The rest of the river is still open. fresh fish are being caught from near the estuary and above the weir, even in upper beats on estate waters further up though the numbers of fishers are low because of the conditions. Reports are of a lot of fish in the Cromarty Firth waiting for a good rise in levels.

The fishing might be hard because of low water but when wasn’t it?

Potbellied Pig

Reaction score
I fished the farrar a couple of years ago in Oct, no rain for three months very few fish about. It rained two weeks later one group had 40 odd for the week

Same happened me last year on the Alness rain came 2 weeks later then 48 that week

Kype King

Reaction score
Why does that always happen after your week’s fishing?!! I did hit it right one year on the Alness - 2006. Arrived on the Sunday in torrential rain that lasted well into Monday. Fished beat 1 on the Monday (only beat fishable) - had to wade across heather to get to the river! Ended up with 9 for the week - happy days!

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Why does that always happen after your week’s fishing?!! I did hit it right one year on the Alness - 2006. Arrived on the Sunday in torrential rain that lasted well into Monday. Fished beat 1 on the Monday (only beat fishable) - had to wade across heather to get to the river! Ended up with 9 for the week - happy days!
I was expecting you to say nine for your day.

Kype King

Reaction score
Ha - in my dreams! I did catch two that first day though. Best in a day for me was 3 off beat 6 on the Alness a different year.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Oh, I'd enquired about fishing the AA water as recent as Tuesday this week via Facebook. I'm heading up to Inverness on Sunday but whoever replied never mentioned any of this? Looks like my fishings off!
Dingwall AC water on the lower Conon will be full of fish in the low water. Try there.

Kype King

Reaction score
The edge of this storm just touched Alness so no great amount of rain, looks like rivers in Inverness area will be ok.

Rain radar shows heavy rain heading tantalisingly towards the Alness catchment area - getting on my knees now!!