Rising Salmon

Holwell53

Reaction score
It’s a question I’ve always thought about .
If you see a salmon roll , is that where it’s lie is , never been sure of the answer ,
Would love to see everyone’s view on this

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The answer is not necessarily.

Salmon will move about and show themselves at the surface for a host of different reasons and with varying frequency that is influenced by a wide range of factors. With time and experience you will get to recognise some of the signature shows, especially the "OMG I'm bored stupid waiting for the river to rise so I can get on with running" splash; the "it's September and I'm loaded with testosterone and I'm the boss of this pool" display of aggression; and the "hello, I've just arrived" porpoise move of the running fish. And plenty will remain unexplained.

Few provide any guidance as to where the salmon's lie is located. You're more likely to identify it from first principles when looking closely at the pool, its running lines and rest places. For a fuller explanation have a look at 'Reading Railway Maps', 'Where are They' and 'Spot the Lie'.

Holwell53

Reaction score
The answer is not necessarily.

Salmon will move about and show themselves at the surface for a host of different reasons and with varying frequency that is influenced by a wide range of factors. With time and experience you will get to recognise some of the signature shows, especially the "OMG I'm bored stupid waiting for the river to rise so I can get on with running" splash; the "it's September and I'm loaded with testosterone and I'm the boss of this pool" display of aggression; and the "hello, I've just arrived" porpoise move of the running fish. And plenty will remain unexplained.

Few provide any guidance as to where the salmon's lie is located. You're more likely to identify it from first principles when looking closely at the pool, its running lines and rest places. For a fuller explanation have a look at 'Reading Railway Maps', 'Where are They' and 'Spot the Lie'.
Thank you , some interesting reading there

Rennie

Reaction score
Salmon will show themselves for 3 basic reasons
1:, they're lost and looking where to go.
2:, you've just fished over them with your best effort at J curve presentation and your best casting to date and a beautiful home tied flee and they pop up to see who the **** that was and to take the pee.
3:, you've really wracked them off so they've popped up to give you the fishy two fins!.
So basically, I've no idea and I'm just off to get me coat!
Pedro.

Holwell53

Reaction score
Salmon will show themselves for 3 basic reasons
1:, they're lost and looking where to go.
2:, you've just fished over them with your best effort at J curve presentation and your best casting to date and a beautiful home tied flee and they pop up to see who the **** that was and to take the pee.
3:, you've really wracked them off so they've popped up to give you the fishy two fins!.
So basically, I've no idea and I'm just off to get me coat!
Pedro.
Made me smile , thanks

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Once saw 4 fish showing after each other repeatedly.. it was almost like they were in sync with each other... this happened over a period of low water on spate river so there was no running fish moving through.

the first splash was always at the tail in a known lie, the second a few moments later under a low lying sycamore on the opposite side of the pool, the third splash would then come a short while later just off a submerged sand bed directly opposite the sycamore and finally then another splash would be seen somewhere in the stream at the neck of the pool before the pool went dormant for a while again..

we reckoned that there was few fish resident in the pool so a pair of Polaroids was taken to the higher bank to see what could be seen...

What was found was indeed fish and trout lying and flashing in the pool but they would only show sporadiclly now and again in that head first lazy slop of potted fish but none would follow the routine above..

eventually the splash came at the tail again, then a grilse was seen crossing the shallow back of the pool and disappeared into the depths under the sycamore, then the 2nd splash happened and so on.. it looked like this 1 wee fish had developed their own wee routine while it waited on water

We watched this happen until the next water and the fish moved on

Walleye

Reaction score
Once saw 4 fish showing after each other repeatedly.. it was almost like they were in sync with each other... this happened over a period of low water on spate river so there was no running fish moving through.

the first splash was always at the tail in a known lie, the second a few moments later under a low lying sycamore on the opposite side of the pool, the third splash would then come a short while later just off a submerged sand bed directly opposite the sycamore and finally then another splash would be seen somewhere in the stream at the neck of the pool before the pool went dormant for a while again..

we reckoned that there was few fish resident in the pool so a pair of Polaroids was taken to the higher bank to see what could be seen...

What was found was indeed fish and trout lying and flashing in the pool but they would only show sporadiclly now and again in that head first lazy slop of potted fish but none would follow the routine above..

eventually the splash came at the tail again, then a grilse was seen crossing the shallow back of the pool and disappeared into the depths under the sycamore, then the 2nd splash happened and so on.. it looked like this 1 wee fish had developed their own wee routine while it waited on water

We watched this happen until the next water and the fish moved on
Interesting. I've always assumed fish generally take up station in the river in a lie until a couple of years ago in the middle of the day in low water I spotted a small shoal of about 8 fish taking a slow lazy circular path round and round a small pool with a decent flow through it. They always faced upstream, swim slowly up through the eddy then edge sideways into the flow and edge out of it again at the bottom of the eddy and repeat.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Adding to Walleye’s post, in summer you will often find fish moving up a pool to pick up additional oxygen in the fresher water at the head. Intercepting that movement can be a productive tactic in low water conditions (see Calm Reflections for an example). This is most likely to occur in pools where the main flow with the best oxygen content is very exposed to sunlight or too shallow to encourage long term use of a lie.

Last edited:

Walleye

Reaction score
Adding to Walleye’s post, in summer you will often find fish moving up a pool to pick up additional oxygen in the fresher water at the head. Intercepting that movement can be a productive tactic in low water conditions (see Calm Reflections for an example). This is most likely to occur in pools where the main flow with the best oxygen content is very exposed to sunlight or too shallow to encourage long term use of a lie.
That's the exact description of the pool where I saw them.