Rio spey lines explained

bucski

Reaction score
Got to say didn't like the Gary Scott thing. Problem is you will get a lot of conflicting advice.
Look at this
How to Choose a Spey Line - YouTube
Check his cast right at the start.
Simon Gawesworth, really nice casting and he broke two rules that Gary Scott mentions at the start of his vid! i.e. his left hand finished under his right elbow and he straightened his right arm (virtually).

Rennie

Reaction score
Now call me an old stick in the mud,dyed in the wool old fashioned geezer but is it just me who wonders why we need the Americans(oh all right then all round good geezer Simon Gawesworth) to explain what the Americans overcomplicated in the first place?,oh and especially Rio who seem to be very good at it too! :eek:,yours off to buy a DT line,Pedro.

Hillrod

Reaction score
Now call me an old stick in the mud,dyed in the wool old fashioned geezer but is it just me who wonders why we need the Americans(oh all right then all round good geezer Simon Gawesworth) to explain what the Americans overcomplicated in the first place?,oh and especially Rio who seem to be very good at it too! :eek:,yours off to buy a DT line,Pedro.

Totally agree with this. If you were a beginner in the sport there is no doubt you would be confused beyond belief. The possible line configurations with tips and poly leaders would now run into hundreds. Rio make great products but have cleverly created a whole new tackle industry by endlessly tweaking last years products.

I still have my old Aircel Ultra DT10. Must be at least twenty years old - they get better when the tip sinks anyway. There can't be much profit in products like that. Looking back I am amazed that I caught so many fish on it - and I was overhead casting most of the time!

Phil

jimmylong

Reaction score
that wee vid i posted explains things a bit on the rio producs , yes their lines are a bit confusing and the way they name them is beyond me, but i like the vid

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Rio Spey Lines

Totally agree with this. If you were a beginner in the sport there is no doubt you would be confused beyond belief. The possible line configurations with tips and poly leaders would now run into hundreds. Rio make great products but have cleverly created a whole new tackle industry by endlessly tweaking last years products.

I still have my old Aircel Ultra DT10. Must be at least twenty years old - they get better when the tip sinks anyway. There can't be much profit in products like that. Looking back I am amazed that I caught so many fish on it - and I was overhead casting most of the time!

Phil

And therein lies the rub....

As I discussed in Half the System, the line manufacturers have developed and given us outstandingly good products (when did anyone last have a wholly defective or useless line?) which with a modicum of care will last at least 10 and probably nearer 15 years. In other words, their own quality is at risk of doing themselves out of business in a very small but highly competitive market. Indeed, in business school case studies it's known as the 'English Shotgun Industry Problem', which is a standard Year 1 challenge for students.
As a result they have to keep on changing names and marginal specifications to extract a living from the all-too willing. Thus Windcutter becomes Short Spey; AFS becomes Scandi; and so forth. You can't blame them for trying to survive.

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
In that case there must be some poor sod in marketing who has to think the names up....

How about ( for 2015):

technical super short bullet head wind jammer....with reversible semi skagit variable tips ( these will be 12.5 feet long and neatly provide an answer to those salmon lies where a ten foot tip is not enough and a 15 foot too much...

I don't know why I'm laughing...... I'm as bad as any with near 20 rio lines at the last count ( some of which I struggle to remember what they are)

Hillrod

Reaction score
Slightly off thread but I was watching Hooked UK "Royal Deeside" on youtube the other day. Greig Thomson was using a skagit line to fish a small Francis under difficult low water conditions.

I was surprised at this, because if it had been me I would have been using the line that caused the least disturbance, with no false casting and keeping well back from the water. Like many others on the forum I suspect, I believe stealth in salmon fishing is now under rated.

By the way this is not a criticism of Greig or the film which I really enjoyed. Maybe he was correct and the key is to get the fly across the fishes nose at its depth. I dont have a skagit but find I can cast small weighted tubes on a DT8 in low water without any trouble, often upstream nymph style.

Phil

Last edited:

lineman

Reaction score
I enjoyed the short film,

I didn't find it confusing at all, and I'm no pro. What I did find interesting was that Simon suggested not to use Polyleaders on the Short Scandi lines.

Mono straight from the tip? Have I been using my Short Scandi line wrong :confused::confused:

Using the Short scandi with the 10' tips for a 13' and smaller rod, then putting 15' tips on the same line to use on a 14' and bigger rod is a good use of one line. I will be now buying the 15' tips to suit my 14' rod:):)

Derek

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
I enjoyed the short film,

I didn't find it confusing at all, and I'm no pro. What I did find interesting was that Simon suggested not to use Polyleaders on the Short Scandi lines.

Mono straight from the tip? Have I been using my Short Scandi line wrong :confused::confused:

Using the Short scandi with the 10' tips for a 13' and smaller rod, then putting 15' tips on the same line to use on a 14' and bigger rod is a good use of one line. I will be now buying the 15' tips to suit my 14' rod:):)

Derek

you can use either polyleaders/ versileasers or tapered mono leaders off the tip no problem Derek! Glad you've grasped the idea in useing the same line /head with differing lenght tips to suite rod lenght,

lineman

Reaction score
you can use either polyleaders/ versileasers or tapered mono leaders off the tip no problem Derek! Glad you've grasped the idea in useing the same line /head with differing lenght tips to suite rod lenght,

Yes I understand that you can use poly/versileaders Dexter. I was just wondering why Simon in his short film has suggested not to use them (short scandi) just tippet straight from the tips. But did state to use poly/versileaders on the skagit lines :confused::confused:

I know not to use tip of the line for the anchor.

On the other hand tapered mono leader maybe a different situation as I have not used one

Last edited:

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Yes I understand that you can use poly/versileaders Dexter. I was just wondering why Simon in his short film has suggested not to use them (short scandi) just tippet straight from the tips. But did state to use poly/versileaders on the skagit lines :confused::confused:

I know not to use tip of the line for the anchor.

On the other hand tapered mono leader maybe a different situation as I have not used one

if space for a d loop is severely restricted or even when very short casts are needed you can of course use a short tippet straight of one of the sinking tips aka" Skagit style",i would recommend water based cast though as i would in this instance be using the tip+tippet as the anchor,,,the ssvt is that versatile,it'll even cast T tips and mow tips,,,as for polyleaders off a Skagit id rather put on a scandi head and have kiss and go as well as water based cast in my armoury,,everyone to their own though not saying its wrong or right just upto the individual and how they may view things differently

Last edited:

Safranfoer

Reaction score
In that case there must be some poor sod in marketing who has to think the names up....

How about ( for 2015):

technical super short bullet head wind jammer....with reversible semi skagit variable tips ( these will be 12.5 feet long and neatly provide an answer to those salmon lies where a ten foot tip is not enough and a 15 foot too much...

I don't know why I'm laughing...... I'm as bad as any with near 20 rio lines at the last count ( some of which I struggle to remember what they are)

This is what I do for a living. It isn't a poor sod in marketing sitting there reinventing the wheel. The canny sod in marketing briefs someone like me.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
You need to phone up Rio then, I'll give you all the new product names you need.....especially after a few drinks. We'll split the proceeds 50%/50%:rolleyes:

Compy seems sure I'm only in this for the words. You're on.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
For a long light spey line.....

super long taper, v-loop, graduated transitional turnover thistledown ghost line, or for short: SLT,VLGTTTG.......of course this would come in a normal butt section to aid turnover, and a Max booty version for when its windy

That's beautiful, man... :D

I can see the SLT,VLGTTTG flying off the shelves.