Rio scandi versitip

greenhut

Reaction score
This is probably a daft question but do you add polyleaders/versileaders to the mentioned tips or is it a case of just adding tippet material. The reason I’m asking is I’m finding the tips at but overkill on my 8# so just thinking of using the floating tip with 5ft or 10ft polyleaders. Kind of wishing I got the outbound instead without all the loop to loop connections. Cheers

Petekd

Reaction score
I use polys on all my multi tip lines, no issues. You’re right, Rio versitips, even the intermediate sink like stones compared to others.

porteouz

Reaction score
I add polys to all my VersiTips, short or normal versions. Fishing with the floating tip and a poly is absolutely fine.

Dave Wilkins

Reaction score
Hi , I have just bought a RIO Scandi Versi Tip , and was wondering the best way to attach my poly leader or nylon leader to the versi tip ? The tips have a section of nylon at the end with no knots . I was going to just tie in a loop , so that the leader could be lop to looped to it . Is that the best way ? Any suggestions much appreciated !
Cheers DWW

NEbody

Reaction score
Hi , I have just bought a RIO Scandi Versi Tip , and was wondering the best way to attach my poly leader or nylon leader to the versi tip ? The tips have a section of nylon at the end with no knots . I was going to just tie in a loop , so that the leader could be lop to looped to it . Is that the best way ? Any suggestions much appreciated !
Cheers DWW

if you’re using a polyleader, just loop-to-loop it onto the tip. I attach a 3mm Riverge leader ring permanently to the thin end of my polyleader and tie my tippet to that.

Rennie

Reaction score
Dave, welcome to the highly confusing world of Salmon fishing and in particular the extra confusing aspect that are sinking tips.
Now, what you have in your mitts there are Rio's version of poly leaders, Versileaders to use Rio's own terminology.These are exactly the Same as Airflo's poly leaders!. Most folk call them tips and not leaders- hence lots of confusion.
They are not Versi tips, which are Rio's version of the tips for Multi tip fly lines!
Versi tips are a PART of a multi tip fly line, Versi Leaders are an ADDITION to any fly line- the clues is in the name, Leader.
Now, the best way of rigging these by far is to knot a 3mm Riverge Leader Ring to the nylon at the very end.Do it all neatly with a tucked 1/2 blood knot, then apply the merest smidgeon of water proof super glue to the knot itself.After the glue drys off, trim the tag end short!.
Now to this 10ft Versi leader you need to attach 6ft of nylon tippet or cast material to the leader ring and then your fly to the other end of the cast material.Thats a perfect set up!
Don't use cheap leader rings- they'll have squared off edges and will cut through your cast/tippet material, there's very little price difference between Riverge rings and the cheap n nasty ones any way, so buy the Riverge items.
Now if I may correct you, you haven't got a Rio Scandi Versi tip line, thats a true Multi tip line with 15ft tip sections, what you have is the Rio Scandi Shooting head kit, which should have come with a running line and 3 different Versi leaders, 1.5 ips, 3.9 ips and 5.6 ips, a different line entirely!
With your line you can use any poly tip on the front end (any sink rate or any manufacturers poly tips) or a tapered leader.
Confusing I know, but feel free to ask any time, most happy to help.
Pedro.

Dave Wilkins

Reaction score
Dave, welcome to the highly confusing world of Salmon fishing and in particular the extra confusing aspect that are sinking tips.
Now, what you have in your mitts there are Rio's version of poly leaders, Versileaders to use Rio's own terminology.These are exactly the Same as Airflo's poly leaders!. Most folk call them tips and not leaders- hence lots of confusion.
They are not Versi tips, which are Rio's version of the tips for Multi tip fly lines!
Versi tips are a PART of a multi tip fly line, Versi Leaders are an ADDITION to any fly line- the clues is in the name, Leader.
Now, the best way of rigging these by far is to knot a 3mm Riverge Leader Ring to the nylon at the very end.Do it all neatly with a tucked 1/2 blood knot, then apply the merest smidgeon of water proof super glue to the knot itself.After the glue drys off, trim the tag end short!.
Now to this 10ft Versi leader you need to attach 6ft of nylon tippet or cast material to the leader ring and then your fly to the other end of the cast material.Thats a perfect set up!
Don't use cheap leader rings- they'll have squared off edges and will cut through your cast/tippet material, there's very little price difference between Riverge rings and the cheap n nasty ones any way, so buy the Riverge items.
Now if I may correct you, you haven't got a Rio Scandi Versi tip line, thats a true Multi tip line with 15ft tip sections, what you have is the Rio Scandi Shooting head kit, which should have come with a running line and 3 different Versi leaders, 1.5 ips, 3.9 ips and 5.6 ips, a different line entirely!
With your line you can use any poly tip on the front end (any sink rate or any manufacturers poly tips) or a tapered leader.
Confusing I know, but feel free to ask any time, most happy to help.
Pedro.
Excellent thanks ! Yes I have a Scandi Versi Tip AFS SHD Kit . This Salmon fishing lark takes some getting used to ! I will get the Riverge rings and do the necessary . Sorry for all the questions !
DWW

greenhut

Reaction score
Now we are on the topic of Versitips, most of mine need replaced for my RSSVT 6# but I can’t seem to source them anywhere??

mc andy

Reaction score

I've been using a couple of the light Hardy spey tips, 12ft on my 7 and 8# svt and they are very compatible.
And also considerably cheaper. Just a thought.

Cheers andy

chriswjx

Reaction score
Now we are on the topic of Versitips, most of mine need replaced for my RSSVT 6# but I can’t seem to source them anywhere??
Don't know if your found any Greenhut, I just ordered replacements from Sportfish.

Also, with my understanding, Dave, yours are versi TIPs? So Rennie's not quite right about that? (spot on difference between versi tips and versi leaders though)

greenhut

Reaction score
Don't know if your found any Greenhut, I just ordered replacements from Sportfish.

Also, with my understanding, Dave, yours are versi TIPs? So Rennie's not quite right about that? (spot on difference between versi tips and versi leaders though)
Cheers, I’ll check it out as I’ve just bodged mine up with nail knots

Rennie

Reaction score

Chris, Rio are the masters of mis information and product naming muddles.They have differing lines that are almost the same with names that are confusingly alike. Why sell you one item, when they can sell you several?.
Now in the 1st instance we have to be correct in the fact of what Dave Wilkins was describing initially as he states two differing lines in the Scandi Versi Tip and the AFS Shooting Head kit ( both quite different in content and line design).However he describes Rio's Versi Leaders, which means Poly Tips as the Versi Tips come pre looped both ends, so to that end he has one of the AFS or Scandi Kits that come with 3 Versi Leaders (poly tips!) and a running line.The Versi Tips kits merely come with a line body and a set of FIVE 15FT tips (or 10ft tips in the case of the SSVT).
I'm not correcting you like a naughty school boy, just trying to clarify what is a very confusing system Rio have.
It catches plenty of folk out and only after relentlessly reading 100's of tackle catalogues and perusing webs sites (which I'm happy to do!, lol ) does it make any sense.
Don't worry, your not alone in this confusion.
Pedro.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Chris, Rio are the masters of mis information and product naming muddles.They have differing lines that are almost the same with names that are confusingly alike. Why sell you one item, when they can sell you several?.
Now in the 1st instance we have to be correct in the fact of what Dave Wilkins was describing initially as he states two differing lines in the Scandi Versi Tip and the AFS Shooting Head kit ( both quite different in content and line design).However he describes Rio's Versi Leaders, which means Poly Tips as the Versi Tips come pre looped both ends, so to that end he has one of the AFS or Scandi Kits that come with 3 Versi Leaders (poly tips!) and a running line.The Versi Tips kits merely come with a line body and a set of FIVE 15FT tips (or 10ft tips in the case of the SSVT).
I'm not correcting you like a naughty school boy, just trying to clarify what is a very confusing system Rio have.
It catches plenty of folk out and only after relentlessly reading 100's of tackle catalogues and perusing webs sites (which I'm happy to do!, lol ) does it make any sense.
Don't worry, your not alone in this confusion.
Pedro.
Thanks! Honestly don't mind even if I was being telt af 😜

its a complete darned mine field I've had to try and wade into (pardon the pun)... Not helped by the fact that shops have mostly been shut so you can't even go in and speak to someone face to face about it... Think my head near enough exploded just trying to get around all the different lines and heads, then you have to get polyleaders or skagit tips... Sometimes (jokingly) I wonder if its all worth it, and I should just stick to the flying C 😅