Rio line weights.

budge

Reaction score
Has anyone weighed their lines accurately ? I bought a cheap set of digital scales off fleabay and they are well worth having. I have mostly used JN and Airflo lines (maybe one and the same ?) I have always found they cast great for me. When I have weighed them they all seem to be a fair bit heavier than stated.
I've been struggling a bit casting a rio scandi line in all but perfect conditions. It was bought in error but I can't bear not using it after forking out 80 quid It is a bit on the light side for the rod according to the label on the box, but when I weighed it the head is actually a couple of grams under the stated weight ! So in effect it is well under the rating for my rod.
I'm just wondering if this is usual for rio lines ? Or is there a bit of variation ? I would have thought a premium product would be spot on ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

MCXFisher

Reaction score
You'll probably get the best factual answer to your question if you call Guide Fly Fishing, the UK distributors of Rio Products, and have a chat with one of their staff.

duncan

Reaction score
I use 30g or 480g Rio AFS S/head lines on my GASS loop rod, they balance and load the rod perfectly for me. I weighed the lines using digital reloading scale and found they weighed more or less as stated.
Fancying a Vision clear floater for low water I bought the Vision heads weighing the same and of very similar length - they proved for me to be too light for the rod and didn’t load it properly. I checked weighed the heads on the same digital scales and they weigh the same as the Rio heads. I Spey cast virtually all the time and think the issue for me is that the AFS heads are much thicker and I presume heavier in the butt thus loading the rod differently. Point of all this is I believe while head weight is important it’s not the bee all and end all the only sure way is to try a line on the rod especially if Spey casting with a d/hand or switch rod.
Again my thoughts only.

budge

Reaction score
Scales can be unreliable, I've put the same line on scales 3 times and got 3 different weights. Depending how the line is lying on them.
The scales seem pretty accurate and give consistent results. They come with a lipped tray which allows the line to be coiled and contained within it. I am going to check them with our calibration weights at work. I'm not the world's greatest caster and tend to prefer lines on the heavy side of the rating, maybe a good spey caster would get on better than me ? I have ordered a heavier line ( £20 not £80 ) so will see how that goes. The rio line was bought for a switch rod on the recommendation of the tackle dealer. It was way too heavy for that so I'm not having much luck with it.

JSO

Reaction score
I use 30g or 480g Rio AFS S/head lines on my GASS loop rod, they balance and load the rod perfectly for me. I weighed the lines using digital reloading scale and found they weighed more or less as stated.
Fancying a Vision clear floater for low water I bought the Vision heads weighing the same and of very similar length - they proved for me to be too light for the rod and didn’t load it properly. I checked weighed the heads on the same digital scales and they weigh the same as the Rio heads. I Spey cast virtually all the time and think the issue for me is that the AFS heads are much thicker and I presume heavier in the butt thus loading the rod differently. Point of all this is I believe while head weight is important it’s not the bee all and end all the only sure way is to try a line on the rod especially if Spey casting with a d/hand or switch rod.
Again my thoughts only.
You are quite right, the AFS was designed with the bulk of the weight right under the rod tip giving easier and quicker loading.

budge

Reaction score
Checked my scales and they are spot on right across the range. Maybe I got a wrongly labelled or boxed line ? I will give the heavier line a fling this weekend

Richardgw

Reaction score
I have found that Rio weights are spot on but the length can vary.
Richard
I also weigh and measure any lines I purchase and agree that so far I have found the weight of Rio lines tend to be spot on but the length can vary by a foot or so. My experience is that their quality control is good.

But with other manufactures I have found mislabelled lines or lines under/over weight. These include Hardy (8/9 shooting head in 10/11 box), Norris Atlantic Heads 8/9 in 10/11 box and 10/11 line in 9/10 box, Michael Evans 500 grain Dredger weighing 560 grain at the colour change. Clearly quality control issues.

When I buy a line the first thing I do is weigh it and if its way out it goes straight back but if it is there or thereabouts I will accept the purchase and give it a go.

Greegs

Reaction score
I also weigh and measure any lines I purchase and agree that so far I have found the weight of Rio lines tend to be spot on but the length can vary by a foot or so. My experience is that their quality control is good.

But with other manufactures I have found mislabelled lines or lines under/over weight. These include Hardy (8/9 shooting head in 10/11 box), Norris Atlantic Heads 8/9 in 10/11 box and 10/11 line in 9/10 box, Michael Evans 500 grain Dredger weighing 560 grain at the colour change. Clearly quality control issues.

When I buy a line the first thing I do is weigh it and if its way out it goes straight back but if it is there or thereabouts I will accept the purchase and give it a go.
I bought 2 JN lines last year & got them to weigh the lines on the counter.
They were bang on the stated weights.

I weighed my Rio ssvt & again it’s absolutely bang on the stated weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richardgw

Reaction score
I bought 2 JN lines last year & got them to weigh the lines on the counter.
They were bang on the stated weights.

I weighed my Rio ssvt & again it’s absolutely bang on the stated weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad you have got what you wanted.

Maybe I have just been unlucky but I have had two mis-boxed JN lines out of four and one out of four Hardy lines. But so far all 5 Rio lines I have purchased have been spot on but I will continue to check future purchases.