Rio Intouch Mid Spey vs Gaelforce Equaliser 54ft

John Keane

Reaction score
As someone who is looking to progress from shooting heads to a “proper” Spey line, I’m thinking of buying either of the aforementioned lines and thought I’d see what others think of them?

A mate has the 9/10 and the 11/12 Gaelforce so I can have a go of them on the river. Going on the gram rating of my Jet Sintrix the 11/12 is the required 46grams.

Not got much chance of trying out the Rio although I have just sold my Intouch Short Spey as the rod doesn’t like it at 42grams.

Any of you chaps got any other recommendations for Mid Spey lines if you’re not fans of the Gaelforce or the Rio?

Last edited:

Tippet321

Reaction score
For Gaelforce info, give them a ring and tell them your rod type and they will tell you the best line to use. Excellent service from James Chalmers

Woody123

Reaction score
As someone who is looking to progress from shooting heads to a “proper” Spey line, I’m thinking of buying either of the aforementioned lines and thought I’d see what others think of them?

A mate has the 9/10 and the 11/12 Gaelforce so I can have a go of them on the river. Going on the gram rating of my Jet Sintrix the 11/12 is the required 46grams.

Not got much chance of trying out the Rio although I have just sold my Intouch Short Spey as the rod doesn’t like it at 42grams.

Any of you chaps got any other recommendations for Mid Spey lines if you’re not fans of the Gaelforce or the Rio?

I’ve got the new Mackenzie 55ft 11/12 Spey line and it’s the best I’ve used. It turns 10ft polys if you use them. I’ve got the Gaelforce
54ft and 63ft heads which are good but for me the Mackenzie is better.

Rennie

Reaction score
I got the 10/11 65ft Mackenzie G3 Speyline last year.Wow!,flies out, lovely line, complete with 10ft polys. or a tapered leader its a dream to cast.
I use it from my 15ft NRX and its natural state is 2 turns of running line left on the reel all day long easy as pie.Lovely line indeed.
Pedro.

John Keane

Reaction score
Food for thought there gents! Just looking at the Mackenzie G3 in a 55ft Head and noting that there’s no head weights offered on the site. My Hardy says 55ft 45g, so I guess it’s a case of ringing Mackenzie and enquiring?

Funny things rods and lines, the rod is 9/10 and 45g yet the matching Gaelforce line is the 11/12.

Confused? You betcha!

John Keane

Reaction score
I contacted Mackenzie through their email form, as they don’t list a phone number, and asked them about the gram ratings of the heads on their G3 midspey lines, as who wants to order a line if they don’t know if it will match their rod?

Waited a fortnight but they couldn’t be bothered to reply. Contrast that with ringing Gaelforce and having a 20 minute chat with James Chalmers about lines and rods.

After trying my mate’s Gaelforce 54ft in 10/11 and 11/12 last week, I bought the 10/11.

Scott Mackenzie could do with a lesson in customer relations and providing adequate information about his products on his website.

rs2ford

Reaction score
That is most unusual for Scott and he has always replied promptly with me.The Mackenzie G3 spey lines are very good and a big improvement on the G2.
That said, Gaelforce spey lines are the best out there in my opinion and their customer service is second to none.
Their matching 10ft tips go great on the Spey lines also but no doubt James told you that.
Tight lines.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
That is most unusual for Scott and he has always replied promptly with me.The Mackenzie G3 spey lines are very good and a big improvement on the G2.
That said, Gaelforce spey lines are the best out there in my opinion and their customer service is second to none.
Their matching 10ft tips go great on the Spey lines also but no doubt James told you that.
Tight lines.
Cheers Diarmid.

I’ve got a full wallet of the Rio Versileaders in 10ft and 6ft so I’ll be using those.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds as though you are sorted John, when it comes to lines I buy only those that clearly list the grain weight and pay little attention to the 7/8 - 9/10 etc ratings. Can't understand that with today's rods and casters the line sellers don't catch on.

John Keane

Reaction score
Sounds as though you are sorted John, when it comes to lines I buy only those that clearly list the grain weight and pay little attention to the 7/8 - 9/10 etc ratings. Can't understand that with today's rods and casters the line sellers don't catch on.

Me too, grains or grams, matched to the rod and then, hopefully tested on the water.

Luckily I have a mate who has virtually every line conceivable in Hardy, Rio, Carron, Gaelforce, Mackenzie, Guideline, etc so I can get out on the Welsh Dee and try them on my rods.

paddymc

Reaction score
The Carron 65ft next generation lines are still to be bettered for me.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that with a brand new line this will not sound attractive but..........

You may or may not be familiar with the sinking leader mini head combo that I fish with. If not I like longer bellied lines, I also like some sink tip material and weighted flies.

That combination of weights placed at the end of most Mid Spey type lines usually results in problems getting the works to turn over. The long front taper on most Mid Spey lines falls flat when I add the mini head and fly, so......

I took an old Mid Spey that weighed close to 600 grains - weighed the belly coiled on a scale until I found 555 grains then proceeded to cut 9 foot off the front taper. This left me a taper still albeit it quite short.

The target rod for the line was a Sage One 13' 6" for 8 lines. I had the chance to test the line on that rod last week. For the leader I used; 6 foot of #60 mono - a 4 foot section of Z-12 weighing 48 grains and 3 foot of 15 pound Maxima to which I affixed a Dee Monkey tied on weighted tube.

The result was that I was able to enjoy the casting ease of the Mid Spey line and without the 9 foot of very thin front taper it turned over the payload very well at distances of 60 - 80 feet of cast. I'll be using the old line and rod again this season rather than them sitting.

If I want a really long line I'll do the same with a 65 foot Mid Spey and hope for the same result.

I realize that some of these things I do and them am bold enough to post about may sound like alchemist experimentation but I had an unused line so thought to see what happens.

John Keane

Reaction score
I know that with a brand new line this will not sound attractive but..........

You may or may not be familiar with the sinking leader mini head combo that I fish with. If not I like longer bellied lines, I also like some sink tip material and weighted flies.

That combination of weights placed at the end of most Mid Spey type lines usually results in problems getting the works to turn over. The long front taper on most Mid Spey lines falls flat when I add the mini head and fly, so......

I took an old Mid Spey that weighed close to 600 grains - weighed the belly coiled on a scale until I found 555 grains then proceeded to cut 9 foot off the front taper. This left me a taper still albeit it quite short.

The target rod for the line was a Sage One 13' 6" for 8 lines. I had the chance to test the line on that rod last week. For the leader I used; 6 foot of #60 mono - a 4 foot section of Z-12 weighing 48 grains and 3 foot of 15 pound Maxima to which I affixed a Dee Monkey tied on weighted tube.

The result was that I was able to enjoy the casting ease of the Mid Spey line and without the 9 foot of very thin front taper it turned over the payload very well at distances of 60 - 80 feet of cast. I'll be using the old line and rod again this season rather than them sitting.

If I want a really long line I'll do the same with a 65 foot Mid Spey and hope for the same result.

I realize that some of these things I do and them am bold enough to post about may sound like alchemist experimentation but I had an unused line so thought to see what happens.

Sounds like you are well into experimenting and not afraid to cut lines up. The Rio AFS will turn 10ft Versileaders over and it used to be said that if you wanted to fish 15ft flyline sinking tips you had to cut the head back. Couldn’t bring myself to cut the line so I bought a Rio Scandi VersiTip line that was meant for turning over 15ft tips. When I get up on the Spey in just under a fortnight, I’ll hope to be fishing the Gaelforce with a 6ft Rio Slow Sink leader and a Size 8 double, but who knows?

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I'm not overly brave with my clippers John, I do however have a few lines that are not on reels. I had just gotten a digital scale and was finally able to identify the 'unknown line' I had to weigh it and spool it out across my back yard for measurement before I was sure of what belly length it was.

I was feeling I had a line rich environment at the time and wanted an excuse to bring that Sage One back into service so I chopped it.

I still don't remember the brand of it :shocked: