Rio i line

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Hi Has anyone tried the new Rio i line I have heard good things about it I know it may be more for single handers but I think it may also go well with my 8 wt 12 ft or 9wt 13 ft as well any comments welcome
Natt

Springer

Reaction score
It will be far too light for your double handers.

I know the guys who designed the line and the hours they spent on it so it should be good, all of them are first rate casters who understand what a good line needs to contain.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys I was doing a bit of wishful thinking really because I use a sage rpl 10ft 8wt single hander for seatrouting and thought the line may just go on to my 13ft 9 wt because i don’t like overhead casting at night and the extra distance with the 13 ft would be a handy thing.
The head length on the i line is only 25 ft and for the low water we have now would be a real advantage. The cost of the i line seams a little ott at £65 but if it is as good as the reports I have heard then it may be worth a punt
regs Natt:)

turriff tackle

Reaction score
Superb.

Can't really say any more.

All the guys who tried it on the open day fell in love with it.

It is my go to line now for the 10 footer

Frank

Deveron

Reaction score
Agree with Frank, got one for a six weight rod and will now order another for a 10ft seven weight. A friend took one to Norway and everyone thought it was great. I will now use this line for teaching single-handed spey casting.

skyhook

Reaction score
Agree with Frank, got one for a six weight rod and will now order another for a 10ft seven weight. A friend took one to Norway and everyone thought it was great. I will now use this line for teaching single-handed spey casting.

Hi Loomis guide what line in the i range would suit a 10ft 8#??

Regards
Skyhook

betanut

Reaction score
It is quite a bright line, but I love it..... one coming shortly for my 9.5ft #6wt Helios.
As Alan says, it really is designed for single handers but I have tried one on an 11ft switch rod and it coped with it OK. On a 'true' double hander - hmmmmm.

Skyhook - which 10ft #8wt? I'd be looking at the IL 15 on an 8 weight, but then again as I like 'brick on a string' flylines it might not be your choice.

H

JoeE

Reaction score
£65s a lot of money on a line dont you think?

Anyone tryed this with a sinking tip?

Thanks

Reaction score
single handed spey casting with i line

heres a link to lee cummings single handed spey casting with the i line .
flyfishinginstructor.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/new-for-2010-the-rio-i-line-project-1/ .
if only i could cast like that.

speers

Reaction score
hi peter could you put this link up again as it is not working,
i have been waiting to get this line for a while and its on back order at the moment, but i would be interested to see some folk using the line.
b.r speers

Springer

Reaction score
hi peter could you put this link up again as it is not working,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Bg12rzxio&feature=player"]YouTube- Single handed Spey Casting practice session with Sage Xp 690-2 and prototype Rio i Line..[/ame]

Springer

Reaction score
I was out with Lee yesterday using the iLine for bass and mullet.

After a day to appraise the line I would highly recommend it. The head length is around 30' or just under, this makes for quick loading and easy spey casting on single handers. The head is a lime green colour without being fluorescent and the running line is again a non fluorescent bright orange, both of which I found quite easy to see in different light conditions.

Deveron

Reaction score
Line weights-v-AFTM

Received another Rio i line today. The IL13 (13.05gms) is marked (by Rio code) as 6, the IL15 (15.50gms) as 7, and the IL17 (17.0gms) as 8. I hope this helps anglers to match the line to their rods.

Eminem

Reaction score
A fair amount of line twist apparent on this clip. I assume this must be fairly standard with all lines but not something we notice close up when fishing. Granbo's full floater on his latest DVD shows similar twisting.

Dull I know but there we are.....:eek:

paddymc

Reaction score
I think that line has markings on it to make it show up clearer on the clip !

Springer

Reaction score
The line in the clip is coloured using marker pen every 12" or so in equal blocks of black then line colour. This is not how the production lines are as I mentioned earlier, this was done by Lee so he could see the loop shape better while testing, teaching and on camera. I have seen other instructors doing it as well.