Rio Gripshooter Cost

MikeCC

Reaction score
I've used Gripshooter almost exclusively ever since it came to the market several years ago. The cost however has continued to rise(exponentially) year on year. Last season it was £30 to £35, this season its now £45!! The cheapest I can find is John Norris(no surprises there) at £35, everywhere else however is advertising RRP at £45.
Yeah sure, phoning around for best price is what its all about, but seriously, how do RIO justify the huge hike in RRP this year.....for a running line!!??

wormo

Reaction score
I've used Gripshooter almost exclusively ever since it came to the market several years ago. The cost however has continued to rise(exponentially) year on year. Last season it was £30 to £35, this season its now £45!! The cheapest I can find is John Norris(no surprises there) at £35, everywhere else however is advertising RRP at £45.
Yeah sure, phoning around for best price is what its all about, but seriously, how do RIO justify the huge hike in RRP this year.....for a running line!!??
I asked the same question about their poly leaders, answer I got was to do with the pound and brexit??

MikeCC

Reaction score
A lot of their lines have risen about 10% in price this year. I get the value of pound issue however Gripshooters gone up nearly 30%.

offshore

Reaction score
Eventually people start to vote with feet - I suppose the price just below that is the one manufacturers are looking for.

I have a grip shooter, but I am not especially excited by it (to be honest).

mc andy

Reaction score

Do you not like slickshooter? Funny cause I bought a reel of you a few years back that was loaded with the gripshooter and can't say I liked it much at all. Preferring slickshooter or better still amnesia. I know we all go on about it's only a fiver and you can get 3 running lines out it. Makes us sound tight but very few things can be classed as a bargain in salmon fishing! But amnesia is!

Not for everyone obviously :nod:

But fully agree regards the cost! Slickshooter £17:99
Gripshooter £45. Simply a rip off for a 20ft section of coated line.

phatagrova

Reaction score
Why not just use slickshooter, the odd slip in hand , no more than any other running line whizzes out !

salmonaddict

Reaction score
Haven't tried the Gripshooter though it does have a catchy concept and I can understand why people have bought it. Maybe in the lighter sizes it's just not suitable for the job. Have thought about trying it a few times but felt that it was just too expensive what it is...certainly not now at those prices.

I've been using the Scierra mono running line for the last couple of seasons and it has been very good so far. 30lb bs on switch rods and 50lb bs on the heavier rods for sinking heads in Spring. Comes in 50 yard spools and is coloured coded every 10 yards which is handy. A few of the guys have started using it also and they are pleased with it. At 10 quid a spool it's well priced ?

MikeCC

Reaction score
Is slickshooter not just the same stuff as gripshooter.....minus the coated handling section??

pfeul

Reaction score
I suppose that you find the handling section as a benefit of the gripshooter as compared to the other mono running lines.

One cheap alternative is:
- get a spool of mono running line of your preference
- get a spool of braided mono (50 lbs for 50 lbs mono running line) about 5 pounds for 50 meters
- cut 30 ft of braided mono to make a braided loop with the braided mono so as to obtain a 15 ft long double walked section
- insert the mono in the walled section of the braided mono in the same way big game fishermen prepare wind on leaders for connecting Spectra to mono (for instance see there How to Rig Top Shot-to-Backing Connections | Sport Fishing Magazine)
- nail knot at the transition between mono and braid
- coat the knot with a flexible glue
-optionnally coat the braided section with a soft glue (softex was great but hard to source now)

And you'll get a reliable connection with no knot hitting the guides (such as knot directly made with the running line inevitably do) and with a thick braided mono handling section.

Much cheaper than a spool of gripshooter!

Henke

Reaction score
Well....Rio will not have to justify the price ;-)
They just (as all other companies) want to maximize their profit.
So they put a RRP on their lines from what they calculate will be possible (max profit) and then the demand will decide if the price is in the
cross-point (supply/demand) or not. If huge demand - then higher prices next year - if the opposite.......more advertising, price reduction OR develope a new ("better that ever" "more slick" "fantastic distance" etc) and the story starts again.

I personally think that is the way it works.

RIO (may) have the name/brand to sell at higher RRP that some others.......but I think we also see other companies (with much shorter history) charging much for their lines.....some with huge succes, some with less succes.....

Tight Lines
no matter what line ! ;-)

JACK POWER

Reaction score
knots

Haven't tried the Gripshooter though it does have a catchy concept and I can understand why people have bought it. Maybe in the lighter sizes it's just not suitable for the job. Have thought about trying it a few times but felt that it was just too expensive what it is...certainly not now at those prices.

I've been using the Scierra mono running line for the last couple of seasons and it has been very good so far. 30lb bs on switch rods and 50lb bs on the heavier rods for sinking heads in Spring. Comes in 50 yard spools and is coloured coded every 10 yards which is handy. A few of the guys have started using it also and they are pleased with it. At 10 quid a spool it's well priced ?

What's that line like fro knots, kinks and tangle SA?