Rio Grande- Argentina

Tangled

Reaction score
Well I'm back and it was a fabulous experience :)

The river itself is surprisingly small considering its name but it's stuffed full of fish - about 75,000 apparently - 1 fish per meter. In the stretches we fished at Kau Tapen the far bank could be reached with a #7 weight single-hander but with the wind and the weights of leader and lures used it would be a pretty nasty experience. So we were using mostly 13’ double handers and casting to the channels undercutting far banks.

The river was is great condition, plenty of water and clear and there were fish everywhere but even so the fishing was not easy. I caught 12 fish over 4lb, the doubles being 11, 14, 16 & 18. All fresh-run, silver fish. There was one 21lb caught in the week. Overall it was an average week apparently with 101 fish over 4lb being landed (140+ hooked) from 10 rods, but I got the impression that the guides were disappointed we didn't fill our boots - the weather was good, no 100km winds, very few monsoon downpours and plenty of fish running. But it was very changeable - wind in one day coming from the North, then East, then West.

The Lodge itself is amazing, fabulous accommodation, service and food - equal to any 4+ star boutique hotel. Surroundings are fabulous. Fishing while beavers and guanacos (lamas) watch you closely, golden ibis, condor and giant kingfishers flying overhead and views across the prairie to the Andes is fabulous.

Apart from the wind, it's easy fishing, you're never more that 100 yards from your transport, the river is easily waded - gravel bottomed - and there's no trees or shrubs to get hooked up in. Two anglers there had never used a double hander before but all caught fish, in fact on the second day one of them caught 10! The fish are there and if they switch on it goes mad.

It's a trip of a lifetime for most in that it's very expensive and a very long way away but if you've got the dosh, I'd recommend it.

I'll post some pictures at some point.

Tangled

Reaction score
In lockdown and already dreaming. I've an option on Aurelia Lodge next February, anybody been there?

daveing

Reaction score
In lockdown and already dreaming. I've an option on Aurelia Lodge next February, anybody been there?
Yes, been there 4 times now. It's my favourite lodge on the river. It's not fancy like many of the other lodges - more a homely feel. The fishing is also more technical and don't expect the numbers people boast about. Send me a DM if you want to know anything more.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk