Rio Grande- Argentina

Tangled

Reaction score
Anyone any experience of the lodges in Argentina, I may be in the market for a February trip but never even set foot on the continent.

EMB

Reaction score
I have had twenty weeks fishing on the Rio Grande and the best lodge I know is Despedida. You get more time on very good pools. Other lodges can involve set start times involving a long drive sat in the truck. Some lodges try to charge way over the odds.

atlanticspringer

Reaction score
I went down to TDF earlier this year and fished the Rio Irigoyen in March. It's a much smaller river than the Rio Grande and very sheltered from the wind, so if you like fishing a single hander or switch rod it's well worth a look.

The Rio Grande does have bigger fish on average and usually higher numbers per rod, but the Irigoyen is an amazing place to visit. Average size around 7-8lbs and we had several over 15lbs during the week, the biggest being an 18 pounder. Rod average was around 2-3 per rod per day. The lodge i stayed at only accommodates 4 per week on 15 miles of river and is more budget-friendly than most Rio Grande lodges.

Here are a few shots. Just thought i'd throw this option out there for you! Drop me a PM if you like, i'd be very happy to give you some more info.

Last edited:

Gauldalen

Reaction score
I could not agree more to Atlanticspringer remarks! the Yrigoien river is one of the most exciting places I have been for seatrout fishing: the location, the landscape, the lodge and the guides all make it a wonderful and unique place! Where else can you fish in the company of penguins? I went there four times! I have also fished the Grande and Gallegos, but not the same, not to mention the wind!!!
I see that Frontiers has some offers for the Grande. Kau Tapen er top, but expensive!
Frontiers Travel International
Tight lines!
G.

Last edited:

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
My pal the hairy Scotsman on here is heading out To fish the Gallegos in January for 5 weeks or so. He’s got all his arrangements made and has done a lot of research. Pm him I’m sure he’d be happy to share info and maybe even hook up with you.

long Preston

Reaction score
I went down to TDF earlier this year and fished the Rio Irigoyen in March. It's a much smaller river than the Rio Grande and very sheltered from the wind, so if you like fishing a single hander or switch rod it's well worth a look.

The Rio Grande does have bigger fish on average and usually higher numbers per rod, but the Irigoyen is an amazing place to visit. Average size around 8-9lbs and we had several over 15lbs during the week, the biggest being an 18 pounder. Rod average was around 2-3 per rod per day. The lodge i stayed at only accommodates 4 per week on 15 miles of river and is more budget-friendly than most Rio Grande lodges.

Here are a few shots. Just thought i'd throw this option out there for you! Drop me a PM if you like, i'd be very happy to give you some more info.

now thats some seatrout-going green here!

Neil W

Reaction score
I have been to the Rio Grande 5 times now always staying at Villa Maria. This is the lodge nearest the sea and caters for 6 rods per week. It is expensive but for the last few years river levels have been low and being close to the sea it means fish are usually present in the pools. The lodge and guides are superb and people I know who have fished the other lodges say it’s easily the best lodge on the river. Fish are big with many in the high teens and I have caught 10 over 20lb and the biggest 24lb. Unfortunately kids at university and a poor dollar exchange rate mean I am not currently going back. I would recommend it in a shot

Last edited:

Icelander05

Reaction score
I have been two times to Aurelia on Rio Grande and I was happy with my personal catch. However fishing can be tricky there and not all of my party did well. As mentioned earlier that are a few fisheries further down the river. A few friends have been on Despedia and rate this among the best fishing on the river but it won't be easy to jump in. Overall I would also consider Irigoyen or Gallegos, or Cameron which is on the Rio Grande across the border in Chile. (later in the season) They do have 90 km of the river and plenty of other options.
Icelander05

sewinfly

Reaction score
Atlantic Springer was very helpful with information that he sent me and was appreciated.

But the price without flights above me which is a pity.
As years go by I'm looking to get a few trips abroad,but cost is the problem not looking for a free trip but in my means.

Hay anyone done a trip with a mate or 2 and organised it themselves.

I suppose an 18Ib Sewin off the Towy several years ago to fly was not that bad :biggrin:

Sewinfly. ...............

Dudearoony

Reaction score
Sewinfly if you can afford to fly to buenos aires and a flight down to ushuia or rio gallegos then the rest is relatively cheap if you camp or stay in hostels and take buses and ferrys or hitch. I spent two months there a few years ago and fished the rio grande, gallegos, iriyogen, menendez, ewan sur and various other rivers and lakes for about £600 all in. All of the rivers have public access points except the rio grande and menendez however it has a small tidal section which you can fish on a day permit. Once you have found a public access point such as a bridge you can legally fish anywhere you can walk to and be fishing the same pools as the lodges. Also some options for floating down rivers like the gallegos via access points. I can't recomend the fishing on the rio gallegos and estuary of the ewan sur highly enough. If you are short for time it's expensive, if you have time and are prepared to rough it its cheap.

wetwader

Reaction score
Summed up very well.
No matter if it’s Argentina or Chile. You have to pay with time or with money. As always. But it’s extreme there at the bigger rivers. Fences everywhere. The fishing would be cheap, but there is no access. Most of the time bridges are the only access points if someone wants to avoid Lodges.
At the upper Rio Grande in Chile we met many fishermen from other countries, also from Argentina, who couldn’t afford Lodges in their own country and wanted to have less fishing pressure at accessible water.
Downside:
Don’t try that if you are not physically fit enough. Very very long walks to come to fishable water with fishes and less fishermen.
But Chile is special. It’s a wonderful country. It also offers some of the best trout fishing one can imagine in very lonely unique regions.

firefly

Reaction score
Atlantic Springer was very helpful with information that he sent me and was appreciated.

But the price without flights above me which is a pity.
As years go by I'm looking to get a few trips abroad,but cost is the problem not looking for a free trip but in my means.

Hay anyone done a trip with a mate or 2 and organised it themselves.

I suppose an 18Ib Sewin off the Towy several years ago to fly was not that bad :biggrin:

Sewinfly. ...............
Sewinfly, if big seatrout are your thing and you don't mind rough weather and sea fishing I would recommend Gotland (Sweden) as a cheap destination, 800 km of pristine shoreline fishable with a state licence. Timing is as always of great importance and you could combine it with a few days on the Mörrum and the Em if you prefer river fishing. It's not TDF, I know, but if you have never done it well worth a try. Just google Gotland seatrout and you'll know what I mean.

JoeE

Reaction score
Big fish in Northern Sweden, Kaliax and Throne to name just too. Can be done cheaply by yourself by staying at Jockfall on the Kaliax. We have done it for under £1200 incl flights and car from Ireland.

sewinfly

Reaction score
Sewinfly, if big seatrout are your thing and you don't mind rough weather and sea fishing I would recommend Gotland (Sweden) as a cheap destination, 800 km of pristine shoreline fishable with a state licence. Timing is as always of great importance and you could combine it with a few days on the Mörrum and the Em if you prefer river fishing. It's not TDF, I know, but if you have never done it well worth a try. Just google Gotland seatrout and you'll know what I mean.
What are the best months to combine the sea and the river together are you fishing where both of these rivers enter the sea.
So fish the sea then maybe move up river.
Cheers all

Spencer

firefly

Reaction score
What are the best months to combine the sea and the river together are you fishing where both of these rivers enter the sea.
So fish the sea then maybe move up river.
Cheers all

Spencer
Gotland is an island in the Baltic Sea, before you ship from mainland you could spend a couple of days on one of the rivers. Or on your way home. Spring has been good to me.

Tangled

Reaction score
Finally signed up for a trip to Tau Tapen. Trip of a lifetime - I hope!

daveing

Reaction score
Finally signed up for a trip to Tau Tapen. Trip of a lifetime - I hope!
It's a fantastic lodge and the lodge manager really does a great job. The head guide is a great person and if he's been able to keep the majority of the guides, you're in for some fun! I'm going back in Feb

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Neil W

Reaction score
2 of my friends are at Villa Maria this week and its been relatively tough fishing with wind and rain and high dirty water. River is dropping now but one of then had a 23lb and 2 16lb yesterday during the day.
Its good news for Kau Tapen which is further up river and good flows mean you should have plenty of fish there

Last edited: