Rio Connect Core - Issues

NoviceFly

Reaction score
I bought a Rio scandi kit last april, the second shooting head system I have had for my 14fter from this range. The kit comes with the "Connect Core" running line, which retails around £60.

What I have found is the construction of the running line to be very poor quality. For example the latest line I have is already cracking and has been used no more than a dozen times. With the cracking of the line comes the knotting up when casting, which provides very frustrating. Dissapointed in RIO for something that has such poor build quality.

Anyone have similar issues?

Coneheads

Banned
Reaction score
I had the same bother with the Rio Short Scandi full kit , the running line and the main head at £100 ,I just have the Versi tips left now with the welded loops at both ends , they now made with a nylon loop, Crap,
The Rio In Touch Outbound running lines are quite stiff/rigid , I fear will crack sooner than later , they just not built to last , they should last the price of them.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
If you have a problem with a Rio line, in the first instance you should take it up with the retailer from whom you purchased. Otherwise contact the UK Distributor, Guide Fly Fishing, by email or on 01977681300, who have a well established reputation for outstanding customer service.

Generally the quality of Rio lines is very high - as it should be at the price - but every so often a duff product escapes. I've been using them for both trout and salmon from the time they first appeared in the UK and to date haven't had a single problem, so it appears that you've been unlucky.

flytay

Reaction score
I agree with Michael. I use Rio Connect Core Running lines for all my salmon fishing including a new Metered Connect Core bought in the Winter and heavily used in the last two months. I have not had any issues with them so you must be unlucky.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I sometimes think there must be something unusual about the way that my kit lasts so long:
  • A pair of Goretex zip waders that have done 14 or 15 seasons, including combat trout fishing
  • Lines that have lasted 15 years and more
  • Running lines that on average endure 6-8 years (despite exposure to Norwegian granite)
  • A 40 year old rod (now retired)
  • The boot brushes that were issued to me in the 1960s
  • And the clothes brush I took to school in 1957, which is still in daily use.
Or is it just Yorkshire parsimony?

NoviceFly

Reaction score
A Product of that calibre should not last 1 year, when its only been used so minimally. I contacted RIO who stated it was over 1 year as I bought in April 19. This is the second connect core I have had that has done the same. I do Figure of 8 retrieve quite alot, but very poor overall in my eyes.

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
To have one Connect Core running line crack may indeed be a problem with the line. This is however fairly unlikely. Rio's quality management system is really very good. To have a second running line crack suggests there may be an issue with how it is being utilised. One of the most common causes for running lines cracking is because anglers stand on the line when it is coiled on the bank or in the water close to or around your wading boots. I am not the greatest fan of Rio lines and am certainly no cheerleader for them. I have never seen you fish or cast so cannot directly suggest that this is the cause of your issue. I have however observed many hundreds of anglers fish and cast and seen this practice time and time again.

nickolas

Reaction score
I used to normally use Rio integrated lines, if I get more that one years fishing out of one I'm doing well, the first line they replaced the second not, saying it was not unusual for lines not necessarily theirs to fail after 12 weeks fishing. Even Simon Gawesworth said in print if the manufacture could combine the good attributes of polyurethane and PVC they would have a great line.

Nath

Reaction score
I used to normally use Rio integrated lines, if I get more that one years fishing out of one I'm doing well, the first line they replaced the second not, saying it was not unusual for lines not necessarily theirs to fail after 12 weeks fishing. Even Simon Gawesworth said in print if the manufacture could combine the good attributes of polyurethane and PVC they would have a great line.
Like you i like the outbound as it is integrated, but after maybe 1.5-2seaons the line needs replacing as the running line is cracked and knackered!

Thinking of trying a gale force integrated one next.

mc andy

Reaction score
I found the surface of the connect core very rough! And after fairly short use it did seem to hold alot of dirt that made it look like it was cracking. I'm back to mono now. I know I've been guilty and sure I'll be in the future, but 50 bucks for a running line!? We need our heads looked ato_O🤔

JSO

Reaction score
I have had the same issues with connect core running lines this year, it's rough, it cracks, is very thick for the breaking strain and has terrible memory. One guy I fish with has had the running section of two In-Touch Scandi Outbound integrated lines crack and break up this season so far. Rio replaced the first line and told him to clean and treat the line every time he used it, they will not replace the second line.

I have moved to 60 lbs ASSO Ultraflex mono and I have to say so far have fount it brilliant.

SALMON RUSHDIE

Reaction score
I had the same bother with the Rio Short Scandi full kit , the running line and the main head at £100 ,I just have the Versi tips left now with the welded loops at both ends , they now made with a nylon loop, Crap,
The Rio In Touch Outbound running lines are quite stiff/rigid , I fear will crack sooner than later , they just not built to last , they should last the price of them.
If you are needing shot of the tips give me a pm

Coneheads

Banned
Reaction score
If you are needing shot of the tips give me a pm
The old versi tips are far better than the latest models , as the old ones have a braid core , the new tips have cheap nylon core, rubbish they are . how dare Rio charge so much for a length of plastic ? its cheaper buying a double taper mill end fly line and cut each end off and make your own tips , 2 tips for half the cost of a rio versi tip @ £11-99p

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Thinking of trying a gale force integrated one next.
....which you might find may be manufactured by Rio......

Gaelforce design, brand and market lines, but they don't manufacture. Most fly lines are made under sub-contract by a small group of companies in USA and UK before being sold under various brand names.

Nath

Reaction score
....which you might find may be manufactured by Rio......

Gaelforce design, brand and market lines, but they don't manufacture. Most fly lines are made under sub-contract by a small group of companies in USA and UK before being sold under various brand names.
Interesting, so you thinking it will be the same quality or the same actually line/material

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I've just bought another dt5 unboxed airflo line in white/cream colour from the ebay seller in France for about €14 delivered. I have enough of them now to last me a while. They make brillliant slick, durable and tangle free running lines if you prefer a thicker coated running line. For smaller rivers where I am not shooting a lot of line they give a little more resistance for a smoother cast. For bigger rivers I still use them as the line still shoots further than I consider reasonable to strip between casts and they are less abrasive on my finger than the ridge running line I have. Not for everyone I know but a very good value option. I use them in 5 and 6 ratings but would be cautious about going down to 4 in case there are breaking strain issues. Then again they are cheap enough to sacrifice one to test.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Interesting, so you thinking it will be the same quality or the same actually line/material
Very likely, but I don't recall any complaints about Gaelforce lines on the Forum.

Airflo, 3M, Cortland, Rio and Shakespeare all make lines for other people. As I recall my last 2 Loop lines were 3M (who make a rather good running line). Nobody talks about it as the contracts appear to embody confidentiality clauses.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Very likely, but I don't recall any complaints about Gaelforce lines on the Forum.

Airflo, 3M, Cortland, Rio and Shakespeare all make lines for other people. As I recall my last 2 Loop lines were 3M (who make a rather good running line). Nobody talks about it as the contracts appear to embody confidentiality clauses.
Been wondering who makes loop lines as the outlet store is selling off GDC heads at half price.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
Also had prob, this season, for tje first time with the Rio Connect core ( Blue, with orange tip.
First I had cut off the welded loop, and whip on a braid, as the welded loop kept catching on rod tip
Then next about 2ft of the rinning line cracked and came totally separated from the braid core. Never had this prob before, so perhaps a faulty batch ?
The line been used max so times, so no way should happen.
What i done at first was aquashure the braid where the covering split off, then coated the braid with aquashure.
Then feeling not so confident with this should I hit a big fish, I cut it off where the coating split away, losing about 8ft, then whipped on new braided loop.
But all in all will never buy this line again.
Im also going contact the store where I bought this, and try for replacement.
But for the cost of this line, and as we see here, Im not only person having probs. Not a good bit of kit at the price.
Iv got a J Norris cheap running line on other spool, now 3 years old, and still perfect.

Neil W

Reaction score
I have used the Rio running lines before with no problems but tend to use the airflo 30lb orange running line which lasts very well. Can’t say I have had a problem either with the Rio outbound scandi which I also like a lot.

Coneheads

Banned
Reaction score
I always use integrated lines , never had an issue of late , but many cracked integrated Michael Evans spey lines 20 yrs ago . Think its stupid having to buy 2 lines ,running and main line ?

leckytech

Reaction score
My running lines last forever as they're never outside of the rod tip :rolleyes: . Seriously though, I can't see past Airflo running lines, the rio ones seem to be a ripoff although I do have a few.

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
I agree with Michael. I use Rio Connect Core Running lines for all my salmon fishing including a new Metered Connect Core bought in the Winter and heavily used in the last two months. I have not had any issues with them so you must be unlucky.
Agree with flytay, I use scandi short shooting head system directly to connect core meterd running line from rio, used every week with no problems, however I did use the "gripshooter" running line from rio which isn't coated and has alot of stretch that really did bunch up tangle and kink. Switched to the meterd connect core 3% stretch running line and its the best ive ever used could be a faulty one take it up directly with suppliers. Also try and give it a good stretch or go to a long part of the river (without fly on) let all the line out the reel all the way to the backing and let it sit for a while should take the twist out