Ribble today

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
I have just come back from the river at Waddow as I live very close to it and I see it every morning throuout the season. I will try to give a river height report as and when it does decide to move for you anglers who do not live close by. I know it must be very frustrating not to know the height when you set out to come fishing. I know we have the E.A. river height guages but they do not tell you everything.
I am prepared to do this for you all through this season and if you need any other info about the Ribble you can always e-mail me.
Needless to tell you that the river is very low but surprisingly clean in this area. This is different to what uses to happen in the past when in long dry and hot spells of weather the river was very green and slimy from algae growth. Lets hope that those days never return.

R.R.

garrydog

Reaction score
Ribble reports

Thanks very much for your reports ,i live 35miles away from the river and will find the reports very useful .
Thanks David .

buzzers

Reaction score
I live 50 miles away and am not impressed with the EA river call line. Your reports are much appreciated thank you :)

fox

Reaction score
hi i live 50 miles away also river reports would be useful to .due to poor EA river call height line :mad:.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
reports

Thanks lads
always happy to help in the name of angling friendship the more info we can provide the better it is for anglers and the river.
R.R.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Is there anyone who runs an independant daily river report on the Ribble that you can telephone?

Just wondered as there is one on the Lune, although it's a Lancaster number so not much use upstream at Kirkby Lonsdale. Having a reliable contact living close to the river is a godsend and can save wasted journeys.

The Lune contact number kicks in later in the season when the fish start to arrive in numbers. Gives water height, rising or falling, water colour and weather conditions. I also get river reports taken at Devil's Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale which I'll put on the Lune thread.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
phone line

There is only one I know and that is run by a club member who lives close by the river nr Grindleton, in fact he can see the river height marker from his house. He then puts the height etc on his answerphone daily( before going off to work) for their members which is excellent for people from away.
I do have this number but I am unable to divulge it as naturally the phone line would be at times too busy and the club members would be unable to get through. Maybe some thought should be in providing an answering machine for everyone, let me think about it as I live very close I will speak to this angler to see if and how we can do it.
The only downside to this is the height marker it is situated about 4 miles upstream from Clitheroe and does not record what is happening below Hodder and Calder foot and we all know that these two tributaries has a effect on the flows, colour, etc below.

R.R.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Ribble May 29th.

Over the past 24 hours we have had 10 mm of rain in Clitheroe. Certainly not enough to affect the river height, but enought to just about water the gardens. We still wait and pray. It would be nice to have a big flood before the estuary nets begin their season on June 1st, well not this year being a Sunday it will be next Monday when they launch their boats. With all the dry weather and the river being low they could very well expect to pick up the odd springer and large sea troit loitering in the estuary, all like us waiting for rain.
R.R.

mcminnow

Reaction score
Over the past 24 hours we have had 10 mm of rain in Clitheroe. Certainly not enough to affect the river height, but enought to just about water the gardens. We still wait and pray. It would be nice to have a big flood before the estuary nets begin their season on June 1st, well not this year being a Sunday it will be next Monday when they launch their boats. With all the dry weather and the river being low they could very well expect to pick up the odd springer and large sea troit loitering in the estuary, all like us waiting for rain.
R.R.

You've been robbed, my rain gauge recorded 24.6 mm in Huddersfield for the 24hrs up to 6am today. I see the wind direction is finally due to change although it's dead calm at present. At least the garden is looking a whole lot better.

D

Deleted member 945

Fished last night for the seatrout. River was back down to summer level but looked as if it had been up 4-6 inches or so. Not enough water and the fish aren't there yet...

speers

Reaction score
very interesting R.R and your updates are realy great i for one will find them very helpfull if you can keep them up on a daily basis.
i was going to go after the seatrout last night myself, (first outing) but sacked it offf when i thought the heavens where going to open, i was thinking of around the ribchester area, may ask where you were fishing as i would have expected the odd fish to be about by now.
best regards simon.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
sea trout

Thanks Simon.
I fish on many different areas of the Ribble and Hodder(lucky really as it gives me the chance to follow the fish through the season from bottom to top) My main fishing is from Edisford upstream and it is a little early yet to expect many sea trout in this area, The fishing begins here from middle June, but saying that there are a few that trickle through earlier. I am hoping to take a guest down to Balderstones one night this coming week, great beat for salmon of fly but it is the first visit for sea trout so should be interesting.
Our area missed the rain this week and like Mac said they had it in Yorkshire. I had a phone call from an angler from over Guisley who was surprised we had not had it as well. Funny old place is the Ribble Valley, the river can be in flood from rainfall above Settle and it could have been fine in Clitheroe. You see the river and think "where the hell did that come from?" As I'm retired I will try to give a river report when things do decide to move, I'm sure that Wilbert will be able to also provide a report(he is away at the moment sunning himself) offered to take him on my little reservoir but his good lady decided that sunny Greece was better for him.
R.R
R.R

mcminnow

Reaction score
OMG.......really sorry to hear about Wilbert, although on reflection it may turn out quite well. If it stays dry he won't miss much and he will be able to cash in his "brownie points" when the rain finally arrives.:D

I think we're in a similar situation with the Lune and need a westerly or south westerly to bring the rain in off the Atlantic. In our case it needs to pour down in the vicinity of Shap. I always have a good look at the Ribble from the Settle by-pass on my way to Kirkby Lonsdale although it often bears no relation to water levels on the Lune.

speers

Reaction score
thanks R>R
i live in clitheroe also, and also have fishing on alot of the hodder, where a bouts at balderstones will you be fishing , i may have a look down their myself as i havent fished it yet and it is only a small section we have , i am just waiting on my new rod to come through an 11 ft trion, i have also bought a trion reel and it feels superb, both of them apserloute bargains, all i need is the line know so im ithchin to have a fling somwhere , ive been tying some test flies up also so i realy am looking forward to some fishing . i no fish will run at night but boy we do need some rain , it's getting depressing at the moment.
best regards simon.
lucky wilbert!!!
p.s did he catch the springer on the lower river?

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
June 2nd

I have just returned from the river at Waddow, it has not moved at all despite having 7.5mm of rain yesterday. This light rain was "Gardening rain" possibly some more forecast for later in the week.

May I make a ssuggestion? to make things less complicated on the Ribble threads by using just two, one for the river daily updates (Ribble today) and the other for general news, enquires or questions ( Ribble news)
This will be far easier to access. Only a suggeston!

R.R.

MatthewS

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates everyone :)

I see the river report threads as as much a "data collection" exercise as a "planning this weeks fishing" exercise. In future years, looking back to marry catch reports with river levels/behavoir will be much easier with just one thread. I think we should future proof our data with just one thread like everyone else. I know I've found previous years threads invaluable and easy to use with all info being in one place.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
No sea trout Yet?

Two of us were out last night on what can only be described as a perfect sea trout night ( condition wise) overcast, still, and warm, the night one dreams about when seeking these elusive wanderers, only we never heard a fish, saw a fish or even had a pull. The fish aren't in the system yet in any numbers. The beat was on lower Ribble, a lovely sea trout stretch, wooded bank on the far side, fishing into deep water and wading down the shingle on the shallow side. A bonus being no trees to jump out and catch the flies, an open bank to fish from.The pools are perfect even in low water a nice pull through to move the flies. Everything perfect except no fish. We fished up to about 12.30am and as we sat enjoying a coffee and chat at the cabin we both thought "What to give to be fishing the Thistle Pool on the Netherby beat of the Border Esk, on a night like this at this time of the year, as we did the last time we fished together". With no fish reported from the Clitheroe area, or the big holding pool at Calder foot, and now down at the bottom, we can assume that things are just as quiet on the Hodder, unless that is anybody knows different? We need a good flood!
R.R.

speers

Reaction score
myself and a friend last night where on the lower ribble , ribchester area, and although the night became fairly clear it was still warm enought to keep the mist off the water and stay fair conditions.
seatrout to be seen , well yes , a few where seen jumping, i had a couple of tweaks and a trout , my friend had two chub;)
the overall conclusion thoe is that fish are thin on the ground and the river was very slippy/slimmey in places, we are defernately in need of a flood and without trying the tidal area yet im stumped really and praying for rain. two years ago i fished on the Lune in mid july in the same conditions as whar R.R mentioned abouve , perfect, i felt sure i would catch as at that time of year their had been some floods . i fished till 2 am without sign of anything, trout where occasonaly feeding but that was it. i left with the conclusion that there just werent any fish about, and a very poor year was reported for most of the river except tebay which had a fair amount of sport.i really hope this year may be better. i no it's early yet and the river needs a flood but seatrout are patchy now at best through out the season's past.tight lines all.
regards simon.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Thursday June 5th

I have just received a report from one of my reliable contacts of sea trout in good numbers, and good sized fish moving through lower Ribble yesterday and more this afternoon. These fish must have come in off the big tides. Time to dust off the rods???
R.R.

fox

Reaction score
water height

hi ribble rod any change on the water height showers forecast for weekend

Mr White

Reaction score
I have just received a report from one of my reliable contacts of sea trout in good numbers, and good sized fish moving through lower Ribble yesterday and more this afternoon. These fish must have come in off the big tides. Time to dust off the rods???
R.R.

So where abouts would you say the lower Ribble meets Mid Ribble ??

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Three way split

In answer to your question,
I always consider the Ribble split into three sections, Upper, Middle and Lower, for ease of identification. This is only my interpretation others may disagree and have different views
I class the Lower up to Calder foot, from here up to Paythorne Bridge I call Middle, and from there up and above Stainfoth Foss to be the Upper.
When we give information where fish are seen, or being caught, we have to be careful as some others (none anglers) could also read these forums to gain information. Some clubs also like to keep everything secret as well. I think we have to write with caution, but give as much information as possible for the benefit of Ribble and Hodder anglers who are not as fortunate as some others who live close to the river without actually divulging too much. Everything in moderation.
R.R.

Mr White

Reaction score
In answer to your question,
I always consider the Ribble split into three sections, Upper, Middle and Lower, for ease of identification. This is only my interpretation others may disagree and have different views
I class the Lower up to Calder foot, from here up to Paythorne Bridge I call Middle, and from there up and above Stainfoth Foss to be the Upper.
When we give information where fish are seen, or being caught, we have to be careful as some others (none anglers) could also read these forums to gain information. Some clubs also like to keep everything secret as well. I think we have to write with caution, but give as much information as possible for the benefit of Ribble and Hodder anglers who are not as fortunate as some others who live close to the river without actually divulging too much. Everything in moderation.
R.R.

Thanks for answering my question RR.;)
your definition is the same as my own, was just wondering if anyone had a different opinion.
Will be out tonight on mid Ribble and the night after and after ,.............
Big brother:mad: has given me the kick up the backside i needed:D:D

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Calder foot.

Mr. White.
Thanks, I have received a report this morning from an angler who fished Calder Foot last night until 1 o,clock this morning and never saw or touched a fish. The only thing to disturb the river was an otter swimming down the pool this is the second time he has seen it in two visits.
Anyway, anything is better than Big Brother from what I'm told, never seen it and no intentions of either, what some people call entertainment ! I'm off to a wedding today and staying overnight ( I would sooner be fishing, but don't tell my wife)
Tight lines.
R.R.