Ribble News.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
This is a brief update of what is happening on the Ribble for those interested.
May has not been the best month with dry sunny weather and no rain to lift the river to bring in fish off the tides.

The numbers of fish through both the fish counters for Ribble and Hodder ie Waddow and Winkley for April are 46 through Waddow and 75through Winkley. The Ribble fish will be predominantly springers whist the Hodder counter will be sea trout. The total numbers of fish counted since Jan 1st are 80 through Waddow and 132 through Winkley

A diary note. Saturday June 7th Varey's fishing tackle shop ( Clitheroe) are to hold a casting open day organised by Hardy and Greys. This will be held on the waters of Ribblesadale Angling Association at Brungerley Bridge close to Clitheroe on the road to Waddington. Casting instruction will be given freely and rods and lines there to be tried.

The E.A. are planning at last to try to remove the American Signal Crayfish from an important side stream of one of our major spawning becks in June and July ( weather permitting). If these Crayfish ever reach the main salmon spawning gravel on the Ribble system it could mean devastation. The E.A. are seeking volunteers to assist in this work of hand picking, all equipment will be provided. If any angler feels like giving up a day to assist please ring Neil Guthrie on 07768905931 for more information or ring me on 01200 423314

simonsmith

Reaction score
Keep up the reports Ribble Rod, good to hear the number of fish running the counters. I have been out a couple of times over the last fortnight below the Tickled Trout but have yet to see a fish. Was very low yesterday and looked like any fresh runs would struggle getting further up than Mellings Wood as there is only one small channel for them to run. When the water this low they tend to start holding. Another spate should see things improve a little.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
I agree we do need a good lift of water now, certainly before the six estuaty nets begin their season on June 1st. A good lift would encourage any fish coming in and out with the tides to enter the river. Early in the season spring fish move steadily upstream on good waters, but, as we go into late spring and early summer they do tend to hold lower down in the bigger pools. The pools at Low Moor, have as always fished well, or as well as any in March and April recording 4 sea liced fish all on fly and all safely returned.
The nets took a record number of fish last season ie 265 where their ten year average is 140 which is disappointing to hear for anglers. With all the water last season it was surprising to say the least as it was always assumed that the fish would run and avoid the nets in high river flows. The increased numbers of fish running was probably the main reason.
RR.

torrish24

Reaction score
Ribble News

Morning RibbleRod
just like to say thanks for your reports.It would from all accounts appear that the Ribble is doing better (number of fish counted)than the Lune and the Kent
Like you we could do with a good flush before the nets start on the Lune(none on the Kent as such)Keep posting then we can get some idea as to whats happening in the NW
Many thanks
Regards
BRYAN

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Thanks Bryan.
Will do, I have been passed the rod and net breakdown catches for last season on Ribble & Hodder including the percentage of fish returned. I will post these later today after I come back from fishing, not salmon unfortunately, I'm taking a friend to fish a nice reservoir I am a member of as my guest so we will hopefully be hooking into some nice rainbows and even nicer blues on dry flies and tiny buzzers.
R.R.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Ribble Update 21/05/08

This is further current news for Ribble & Hodder Anglers.

For those who attended the Hugh Falkus evening in April in support of the Hodder Consultative's salmon and sea trout propagation programme.
The total raised this year is the most ever for one of these evenings. The final total being £2518 which will go a long way in support of the smolt feeding and pond maintenance.

Finding day tickets waters on either river is not easy and many anglers who visit, or wish to fish, but are not members of any club do use the E.A. beat on the Ribble( left hand bank downstream from Mitton bridge) A nice stretch of water past the confluence of the Ribble and Hodder down to the meeting of the Ribble and Calder. Earlier this year the day tickets were obtained from a new place ie a garage nr Barrow. This has again been changed and the tickets are now only available from the Aspinall Arms pub by the side of the river at Mitton bridge. Their telephone number is 01254 826223

I said previously that i would provide the rod catch returns for last season ( These are the figures taken from the licence returns by anglers)
Last season anglers declared a total rod catch of salmon of 0162 on the Ribble system with 958 from the Ribble and 104 from the Hodder. The percentage released were 76% of Ribble salmon and 76% of Hodder fish.
The sea trout figures are better than expected with a total declared catch of 1173. with 840 from the Ribble and 333 from Hodder. The percentage released were 76% for the Ribble and 67% for the hodder.

I hope these snippets of news are of interest.
R.R.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Correction.

Sorry folks a slip on the old keypad the total number of fish should read 1062 not as I typed 0162
R.R.

GH

Reaction score
Hodder

Hello, I'm coming down to Whitewell next week on business - is it too early for sea trout on the Hodder or is it worth a go? Looks like we could all do with some rain!

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
sea trout

Hello GH.
The Hodder is at the moment very low and needs rain. There will undoubtably be the odd sea trout about but its still early. Even though sea trout will move on low water the bulk of the fish come in on a flood.
Are you staying at the Inn at Whitewell? a nice hotel, well recognised for its excellent food and wine cellar. The hotel has two resident rods on Whitewell Anglers waters and some nice pools. These rods are recommended later in the season foe salmon

On the Ribble a contact of mine fished Calder Foot on Friday night he reports that it was very quiet, no pulls, or even any signs of a fish. This chap is one of our top sea trout rods, very dedicated and fishes all night. If he says the fish aren't there yet he will be right.
I have also had another report of two springers being taken on fly from one of the lower beats one at 18 and the other 8 these came from a pod of fish seen moving through the Preston area

R.R.

GH

Reaction score
Hodder/Whitewell

Thanks Ribble Rod, even though it's raining pretty hard here in Edinburgh doesn't look as if there's going to be much doing by the time I get down on Wednesday, though I might just pack my gear in case you have an epic downpour for the next 36 hours followed by a big run.
Yes, I am indeed staying at the Inn at Whitewell - perhaps next year I should see if I can postpone my visit by a few weeks.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Happy grin

Look at this grin, don't come much bigger. Nine year old Liam Clark landed this his first salmon when fishing with his dad close to Balderstone last month.
Us "Oldies" know that we have to encourage young anglers as our rivers, fish, and the environment is in their hands in the future.
R.R.

Reaction score
On my way to the Hodder this morning a smile was brought to my face by two dads taking they below waist height sons fishing on the EA stretch below Aspinall arms. It's been a while since mine took me, but those memories are part of what keeps me fishing never mind the fish

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Ending

The game fishing season on our catchment ends officially tomorrow and a good season its been for most. The wet weather again brought good runs of fish and the river should once again meet it spawning target of 10 million eggs. Anglers who care about conservation and our rivers future are the main reason why this is happening,by practising catch and release over the last few years. How different from the 80,s and 90's when fish were hard won.
Today I have promised my wife to take my rods down and put my rods, reels,and everything away for another year. My two rods ie 15ft and 13ft are up all season,and up to the end of Septembr were well used. With my back and leg problems I have missed some good days this month. I could only listen and write. When I was younger i would have fished but as one becomes older the body fails to respond or mend as quick.
I have posted this on the "Ribble News Thread" as I will use this thread in the close season for any news etc.
I will add my final river report as usual tomorrow morning on the normal thread with it I want to ask for support for an idea I have. I do hope that as many as possible will support my idea.
R.R.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Poaching

This morning I received some very good news from the E.A. Earlier this year a well know poacher from Nelson was caught with a substancial number of salmon on his front lawn and his nets drying out.
Yesterday this chap Glen Bennett appeared in court at Lancaster where he pleaded guilty and was subsequently fined £1400 plus £1000 cost.
The E.A. and Lancs police deserve our thanks for their efforts in securing this prosecution
R.R.

wilbert

Reaction score
Excellent news about the poacher but a pitty the fine wasn't bigger or he escaped a prison sentance, maybe that will be next time:(.

On another note RR you idea of forum members who have read the daily Ribble reports and benefitted from them donating the price of a pint to the RFCA is an excellent one. I will be sending my donation off.

dave

Reaction score
Big thanks to Ribble Rod for his consistant and accurate reports,well done RR.(Donation to follow shortly)

hotdog

Reaction score
ribble reports

yes i agree great work fred well done i for one will be sending a donation come on guys dig deep its a small price to pay for freds hard work and dedication and not to mention the small fortune we all have saved by not having to ring the river (ripoff) call

andy

Wallice

Reaction score
Good Call R.R.

Not fished much this season, but always reading your reports, from wherever work will send me, so thank you R.R.!!

Just had a look at the Ribble Fisheries Consultative Association’s website and it says membership is only £10 for individual members, is that still the case?

Anyhow, I’ll have some of that! More members more influence I assume.

Cheers!:)

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Ribble Fisheries Consultative

Not fished much this season, but always reading your reports, from wherever work will send me, so thank you R.R.!!

Just had a look at the Ribble Fisheries Consultative Association’s website and it says membership is only £10 for individual members, is that still the case?

Anyhow, I’ll have some of that! More members more influence I assume.

Cheers!:)
Thanks for that Wallice and also to all who have pledged and promised donations for support. I can asssure you that all money will be put to excellent use for your rivers. The annual fee for the RFC has increased to £15 but I can assure everyone that the Annual Report is worth this alone. To join or for more information check out the web site or ring the secretary John Whitham on 01282 411340.
Thanks again everybody
R.R.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to you all for your kind words. Glad I was able to help, as i said if I can pass on my many years of experience of fishing the Ribble I'm hppy to do so. For some of us the season never ends. We are now coming into the administration season as I call it. Arranging AGM's, sorting end of season reports, seeking new club members, etc. etc. all to keep our clubs and fishing viable.
This month I will be part of a team of four arranging the details for next spring's Falkus Evening for the Hodder Consultative which was last year was very well supported and raised over £2000, The problem we face now is "how to top that"? We need a good entertaining speaker, so, if any of you know of such a person please let me know.
I hope the donations are coming in from your support, it would be great if we could split it three ways, ie, the Trust, the Hodder Consultative and the RFC. It would be a great way to finish what has been another good season.
Cheers to you all.
Fred. ( Ribble Rod)

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Donations

I was speaking to the treasurer of the RFC yesterday , and on Saturday morning the day after I posted the request for donations he received in the post 2 envelopes with £10 in each and on the Friday he met a chap on the river who gave him £25 in cash. I know who this person is as he is a member of Ribblesdale so thank you for being so generous.
R.R.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Update.

This week we have received 5 donations which have amounted to £100 this is excellent and thank you very much to Mr. L for a very generous £45 and also to Mr K. for his £25 and the others who have all donated far more than the "Price of a Pint" I was looking for.

I would like to still push this as we have had more than 300 seperate anglers using the reports page. I would like now to think about where the money should go. The £100 was my target for the RFC. but I would like to think we could "raise the bar"and try hard to reach two more hundreds for the Trust and The Hodder Consultative. The growing salmon parr in the realease ponds for the Hodder all need feeding, £100 would go a long way towards the food, and let us help Jack from the Trust in his excellent work, I'm sure another hundred would purchase more vital equipment for his river monitoring.

Please donate now before the memories of anothger great season begins to fade, lets just show the doubters that we anglers who fish the Ribble, Hodder and Calder do care for the rivers' future and are prepared to help as well as just fish.
Thanks again.
R.R.

speers

Reaction score
been busy R.R but going to do my catche report and statistics this eve, so i'll get a donation off also.
B.R
speers.