Ribble 2021

Andrew B

Reaction score
T&S may not be the interesting magazine that it once was, but I keep my subscription going just for the fishing reports lol.
As always Fred’s reports are always a good read with fish count numbers at Waddow, mixed in with tales of possible sightings up and down the river to some actual catches such as the father and son team fishing for Grayling on Settle anglers water and catching fifteen fish up to two pound? That’s not bad Grayling fishing on the fly by any stretch is it?

The shocking report/revelation from Fred’s report was him spending 70yrs fishing the Ribble😲. Giving your age away their Fred😉.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Morning all.
I have just received the fish counts through Waddow for the first month of a new season. We had 4 fish counted up and 2 fish down. The 4 up were fish under the 4 lb and we had no fish over 4 lbs.

Thanks for your comments Andrew. I try to make my T&S river reports as positive as possible and its hard to think I have done it now since April 2004 that's a lot of typing with one finger on each hand, nearly seventeen years and never missed a month. I have filed them all, happen one day they may just provide some information as to how things were now, but by then it will be back then. We all like to remember how its used to be, a typical point is the reference to large fish from past decades not just on the Ribble but the Lune thread as well. When it comes to fishing I have enjoyed every minute of it on the Ribble and Hodder, yes its been a long time, made some brilliant friends and also sadly lost a good number as well through either illness or old age. One things for certain, I may not catch a lot of fish these days but you can't erase the memories.
Tight lines.

budge

Reaction score
Hope you can add to your memories this season Fred after missing out last year.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
Morning all.
I have just received the fish counts through Waddow for the first month of a new season. We had 4 fish counted up and 2 fish down. The 4 up were fish under the 4 lb and we had no fish over 4 lbs.

Thanks for your comments Andrew. I try to make my T&S river reports as positive as possible and its hard to think I have done it now since April 2004 that's a lot of typing with one finger on each hand, nearly seventeen years and never missed a month. I have filed them all, happen one day they may just provide some information as to how things were now, but by then it will be back then. We all like to remember how its used to be, a typical point is the reference to large fish from past decades not just on the Ribble but the Lune thread as well. When it comes to fishing I have enjoyed every minute of it on the Ribble and Hodder, yes its been a long time, made some brilliant friends and also sadly lost a good number as well through either illness or old age. One things for certain, I may not catch a lot of fish these days but you can't erase the memories.
Tight lines.
I know what you mean Fred I’m only 45 and I’m still prone to looking back to the past? Nonetheless your reports tothis day have always remained relevant and there’s no shortage of characters in the Ribble valley to talk about.
I think we all appreciate the job that all the T&S reporters do as with so many angling clubs up and down the country it’s often left to just a few to do the leg work as it were.
I appreciate after having so many years of fishing and salmon under ones belt can perhaps give one some perspective about taking a fish for the table in the current climate, but I read one report that made a good point about how return rates are so high now( over 90% say) that it’s important folk shouldn’t feel criminalised for them taking one suitable fish for the table as it’s hardly likely to effect the return rates?

Food for thought perhaps?

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
April Springer at Lowmoor on a Verminator😉
Assuming some normality I’m calling it now lol.
That would be good Andrew, just park up and walk up the field and flick a size twelve Verminator double across the Scar pool, or walk up to the weir and cover the lie in the middle of the pool as I've done countless times in the past with great success. If catching a Ribble springer was just that easy. These days is a case of a bucket load of luck and the right place at the right time when fish are on the move, but the thought of it has got my juices flowing.

seth

Reaction score
I see that stocks Reservoir will not be open for fishing this year, united utilities haven’t got a new tenant since Ben left.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Thats a shame, although I haven't fished it for years it was a very popular venue.

I hope they find a new tenant for 2022.

seth

Reaction score
I first started fishing stocks back in 1975, when I started working for the water board, it cost six pounds a year to join the water board club, any method apart from maggots, fantastic fishing back then, used to catch brown trout up to seven pounds on live minnow fished under a float, some you couldn’t land they just set of and emptied the reel, or broke you if you tried to stop them.

We could hire a boat with outboard for £1.00 a day, and keep up to six trout a day, back then I used to cycle from Clitheroe, fish all day and cycle home afterwards, the road over waddington fell was hard work on a hot day, but I was fit back then, happy days.

Rennie

Reaction score
Calum, sadly most of the Ribble is tied up in private hands, mainly clubs, syndicates etc and as such there's not a lot of availability to the casual Angler.
However, Martin James controls a stretch you may well be able to access, there is a stretch at Mitton controlled bt Ribble Rivers Trust which is accessible and not too bad a shot being in the right area.There are a few smaler DT stretches, but they get very popular and aren't all that big.No doubt there will be better information offered soon enough.
Pedro.

Andrew B

Reaction score
The stretch that Martin James looks after is a really nice beat that has first class dry fly fishing for trout, decent winter Grayling and the course fish that Martin so loves to fish for. He’s a naturally gifted angler imo, who uses a lifetimes knowledge of the river and weather to go after certain species and more often than comes out on top.
Always remember his name cropping up for taking sea trout on a snake fly?
Im gonna look into putting my name down if possible.

Andrew B

Reaction score
On Thursday after a rather upsetting window visit to see my Grandma who is now back in the home, called off at Ribchester on the way back home as I read that a small group of Goldeneye had taken up residence on the Ribble?
Didnt see the Goldeneye but I met a really sound bloke who was casing out the pool directly above the street with the Post office/Spar.
You could be forgiven for thinking it was April it was so nice but this Bloke who is a member of Prince Albert and fishes the Fly around Ribchester was commenting how there are some early and often big fish that run the river every year.
He told me that he lost a huge fish last year in March at Ribchester on a black Stoat and he est that for 45 mins he couldn’t do anything with it, until getting a view of its tail and he reckoned the fly must of levered itself out?

Anyway following meeting this chap who told me to get my name down for Prince Albert, that’s what I did so two years wait apparently.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Anyway following meeting this chap who told me to get my name down for Prince Albert, that’s what I did so two years wait apparently.

I was a member of PA for many years but got sick of sheer number of anglers, specifically the Post Office Stretch you refer to. However I've had some nice fish out of the Tush in the past and it does hold fish. There's a lovely fly run above it too. PA also have some nice water lower down so I did the same last year and put my name back down on the waiting list. I should be in next season. That said my main reason for re-applying was the amount of fishing they have on the Irt and Esk in Cumbria, I fancy fishing the Esk again for Seatrout in summer and Salmon in Sept/Oct but in doing so I'll get some of the lower Ribble beats which last year fished well.

That_Bloody_dog!

Reaction score
I'm a member of the PA but was contemplating giving it up after joining RAA this year. I have fished around the Ribchester area, but always thought the best looking water, the PA finished just before it.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I'm a member of the PA but was contemplating giving it up after joining RAA this year. I have fished around the Ribchester area, but always thought the best looking water, the PA finished just before it.

You wont go far wrong with RAA TBG, we've got some great water. Everything from a beautiful fly only beat at Low Moor to big holding pools with any method etc. Some good rod exchanges with other clubs and a nice syndicate beat at Nappa that produces a decent amount of fish each year. The only downside is we've nothing below Calderfoot however up until two years ago I fished nothing but RAA waters and done ok for myself on the Salmon front.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
You wont go far wrong with RAA TBG, we've got some great water. Everything from a beautiful fly only beat at Low Moor to big holding pools with any method etc. Some good rod exchanges with other clubs and a nice syndicate beat at Nappa that produces a decent amount of fish each year. The only downside is we've nothing below Calderfoot however up until two years ago I fished nothing but RAA waters and done ok for myself on the Salmon front.
For me, an ideal would be PAAS for the various Big Ribble beats and other varied waters on Eden Esk etc (though a shame we lost Standen Estate/Hodder), plus RAA for their good upper beats and when the fish are running straight through PAAS! The reality is right now, I just don't have enough time to devote to multiple memberships but that will change in a year or two when I retire. Just hope the fish keep coming for then!

Andrew B

Reaction score
I was a member of PA for many years but got sick of sheer number of anglers, specifically the Post Office Stretch you refer to. However I've had some nice fish out of the Tush in the past and it does hold fish. There's a lovely fly run above it too. PA also have some nice water lower down so I did the same last year and put my name back down on the waiting list. I should be in next season. That said my main reason for re-applying was the amount of fishing they have on the Irt and Esk in Cumbria, I fancy fishing the Esk again for Seatrout in summer and Salmon in Sept/Oct but in doing so I'll get some of the lower Ribble beats which last year fished well.
Yes that’s exactly why I put my name down as I would get my monies worth in Cumbria and Wales alone?
This particular chap who I could tell was totally genuine(ie not given to exaggeration) told me he’d fished the Mawddach and Winion for over twenty years and had a best sea trout from the junction pool of 18lbs and I don’t doubt him for a minute.
I’m just not up on any of those Ribble Beats you mentioned as from Hurst Green down I’ve only been to Ribchester and tickled trout.
I’ll never forget what Dave Ryding told me once at a fly fair? I’m not sure where he meant but he said he fished low down the river for bright fresh fish and wasn’t interested in fishing up river. So clearly the Big Ribble must have it’s places?
Thanks for your reply.

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
I’ve just rejoined PA for the same reason Clint.
It only took me 12 months to get back in the club.
I’m looking forward to this season, once we’re out of lockdown situation.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I’ve just rejoined PA for the same reason Clint.
It only took me 12 months to get back in the club.
I’m looking forward to this season, once we’re out of lockdown situation.
Good on ya Paul, when I'm back in if you fancy a trip upto Irt and Esk give me a shout, very different fishing to what we are used to but at times more rewarding, seeing your fish then watching it move to your bait/lure/fly and take really takes some beating. Chat soon mate

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Good on ya Paul, when I'm back in if you fancy a trip upto Irt and Esk give me a shout, very different fishing to what we are used to but at times more rewarding, seeing your fish then watching it move to your bait/lure/fly and take really takes some beating. Chat soon mate
Thanks Clint👍
Give me a shout when your back in PAAS
I hope to bump into you before then in our club water 😀
I hope your well pal.