Ribble 2021

Sperlash

Reaction score
And extremely efficient at hunting in packs and hoovering up freshwater fish. Apparently clearing out some stretches of the Eden.
Not just the Eden ,the wear is about barren.Three of my mates observed over 50 birds on 3 pools hunting in packs..and we wonder why were seeing nothing in terms of fish!!!

Andrew B

Reaction score
There’s not gonna be any fishing today as even small becks are like chocolate coloured. Beautiful forecast for tomorrow though so there’s a chance of fishing either Tomorrow or Friday I’d say?

Salmo solar

Reaction score
Finally have a smile on my face, 1 salmon seen, 1 salmon lost and 1 landed @ about 12lb from mid ribble. Was coloured and had been in a while. Sounds like good fishing but its been a long hard slog in great condition throughout the year. Nice to see lots of people out fishing, feels like odd ones are getting caught but everyone's opinion is that they are not in the numbers they should be. I've never fished as hard to avoid a blank.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
Finally have a smile on my face, 1 salmon seen, 1 salmon lost and 1 landed @ about 12lb from mid ribble. Was coloured and had been in a while. Sounds like good fishing but its been a long hard slog in great condition throughout the year. Nice to see lots of people out fishing, feels like odd ones are getting caught but everyone's opinion is that they are not in the numbers they should be. I've never fished as hard to avoid a blank.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
You cutting it fine lol but we’ll done. Our expectations have been reduced to just hoping to see some fish this year.

Rennie

Reaction score
Fished yesterday,1st light to last on a damn fine height of water. It was at times very windy, so I designated it an Airflo Rage day!. Water looked dark 1st thing, but in low light and rain wasn't too sure how bad.Had to keep an eye on the Gisburn gauge, the water in front of me too and distant horizons in case Ribble lifted and I'd to bolt to ford the river back to the car!. As it turns out, no probs. there as Ribble fell all day. I saw one fish all day long and pretty certain it was a runner purely for where it showed, never felt a pull of anything at all- apart from the odd leaf every once in a while.
Now, I'd talked myself into the fact there's not a lot of fish passing through, so made a play of fishing down deep with polys and Coneheads/Francis etc. and hitting the known hot spots fishing them methodically through.
I fished all day as did others also there and as far as I know zilch, zero, nothing, nowt.
One clue!, in that I never touched a Trout or a Rub a Dub either or a Sea Trout, so wondering if that colour was the dreaded Peat Stain, which could explain every thing keeping its head down. In the sunshine in the afternoon the water was the colour of Tea with no milk, maybe a touch lighter, not much in the way of foam though!.
My parting shot after chucking everything into the far bank trees when the wind fell, was to re rig to an Inty. poly and dressed flee and fished up in the water for the last knockings.
Packed in while the light was still there to let me wade over and retrieve my broken poly, cast and flee from the tree's.As I type this, just finished re-rigging a new poly with a leader ring and the wallets fully re-plenished once more.
Hearing the usual tales of nowt down below, but fish up in the upper reaches. There's been water enough in the past 2 weeks and enough for fish to pass through without Angling effort on the highest waters, so it's possible I suppose.
I just know I tried as hard as I could to no avail. I feel a spell of lower water for the last few days won't hurt us now?.
Pedro.

doubletaper

Reaction score
Same as Pete, fished all day just below Ribchester on a lovely looking River height wise & maybe a little to Tea coloured maybe? But I have had a fair few fish in the past off The Cree & North Tyne which is a similar stain ( on fly ). Never seen a fish of any description which really surprised me but we'll just put it down to a bad year (again ) Would like to see the EA and the folk who care install a hatchery on this river system just to see what difference it would make? Just a pipe dream of mine but what a lovely river system it is and IMHO deserves one. Oh well things can only improve......:sneaky:

budge

Reaction score
Same as Pete, fished all day just below Ribchester on a lovely looking River height wise & maybe a little to Tea coloured maybe? But I have had a fair few fish in the past off The Cree & North Tyne which is a similar stain ( on fly ). Never seen a fish of any description which really surprised me but we'll just put it down to a bad year (again ) Would like to see the EA and the folk who care install a hatchery on this river system just to see what difference it would make? Just a pipe dream of mine but what a lovely river system it is and IMHO deserves one. Oh well things can only improve......:sneaky:
Is it just a coincidence that salmon numbers have collapsed since the closure of hatcheries on the lune and Ribble ? They spout the same old story that it's better to let them spawn naturally. I wonder why otters and beavers aren't better left to repopulate naturally ? Oh yeah they're cute furry little things

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

doubletaper

Reaction score
There's probably more than enough funds kicking around Budge in certain places to do it and it makes you laugh (well me anyway ) With where some government funds are absolutely wasted! We all have our own opinions but aren't the UK one of the worst in Europe for our record in protecting our Ecosystems & Wildlife areas? Get Great Thunberg in charge!! :ROFLMAO:

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Is it just a coincidence that salmon numbers have collapsed since the closure of hatcheries on the lune and Ribble ? They spout the same old story that it's better to let them spawn naturally. I wonder why otters and beavers aren't better left to repopulate naturally ? Oh yeah they're cute furry little things

The hatchery at Whitcherwell made not one iota of difference to salmon stocks. Neither did Hodder Consultative smolt release ponds. Out of thousands of smolts fin clipped only a very small hand full were caught as returned adults, ones, twos, threes per season out of thousands. At the ration of 10% of run is caught by rods (though deemed higher on some rivers) if the thousands released as smolts returned as adults anglers should have caught hundreds of fin clipped fish, not one or two. The demise of runs is a catalogue of issues, in river, farming, over population, housing effulgent, sewerage, human medication etc etc. Then there are the issues at sea, global warming, gulf stream changes, food dispersal etc. Isn't it funny that the only UK rivers that are holding their own are the ones with limited human encroachment? Pristine nursery habitat, no hatchery. It's us humans that are causing the decline by multiple issues, they survived the industrial revolution in Victorian times but we just damaged local environments, now man is affecting all environments, question is now can they survive this time?

Rennie

Reaction score
I had it passed on to me a while ago, that hatcheries in the UK would never happen because there was no point in sending fish out to Sea for every Tom, Dick and Harry to net the very blazes out of them at our expense. Have to say makes perfect sense to me!.
Pedro.

budge

Reaction score
The hatchery at Whitcherwell made not one iota of difference to salmon stocks. Neither did Hodder Consultative smolt release ponds. Out of thousands of smolts fin clipped only a very small hand full were caught as returned adults, ones, twos, threes per season out of thousands. At the ration of 10% of run is caught by rods (though deemed higher on some rivers) if the thousands released as smolts returned as adults anglers should have caught hundreds of fin clipped fish, not one or two. The demise of runs is a catalogue of issues, in river, farming, over population, housing effulgent, sewerage, human medication etc etc. Then there are the issues at sea, global warming, gulf stream changes, food dispersal etc. Isn't it funny that the only UK rivers that are holding their own are the ones with limited human encroachment? Pristine nursery habitat, no hatchery. It's us humans that are causing the decline by multiple issues, they survived the industrial revolution in Victorian times but we just damaged local environments, now man is affecting all environments, question is now can they survive this time?
I just wonder how many fin clipped fish were reported ? The lower river is still full of fishmongers whose main concern is getting fish for the table. The main issue with most rivers is the reliance on the honesty of anglers and I know full well that this is flawed. Anything that helps is better than doing nothing but obviously there's a price to pay per salmon caught. I am still of the opinion that the biggest issue is at sea and out of our control.

doubletaper

Reaction score
Yes a very contentious issue and there's many a reason why they're in decline and I do agree with you SA that most are man made but I do personally think they need a leg up in these very difficult times. The massive winter floods we now seem to get would ensure some egg survival with a hatchery & seems to have helped the Tyne & Cree systems in recent times but saying that the Tyne has struggled a little this year! Would like to see more marine environments better protected but like you say once they've made it to sea they're fair game for everyone and everything sadly with ZERO protection seemingly :confused:

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I just wonder how many fin clipped fish were reported ? The lower river is still full of fishmongers whose main concern is getting fish for the table. The main issue with most rivers is the reliance on the honesty of anglers and I know full well that this is flawed. Anything that helps is better than doing nothing but obviously there's a price to pay per salmon caught. I am still of the opinion that the biggest issue is at sea and out of our control.

That's s good call Budge, in times of catch and kill those caught for the pot may not have been reported but I worked as an EA fisheries officer working Hodder smolt traps just above where Hodder enters Ribble and there were very little clipped fish caught, even less multi fold returning as adults. I'm sure some fish mongers didn't report tagged fish but not to the point they damaged returning stats. I'm not anti stocking, just look what's done in Iceland and Sweden, difference is their smolts pour into the ocean where food supplys are close to shore, our Salmon need to migrate thousands of miles to reach food. Also Baltic Salmon enter an ocean not as saline as ours so don't suffer the same osmosphysiological stresses as our Salmon.

budge

Reaction score
The thing that I can't get my head round is when virtually every west coast river is struggling there's still rivers in northern Scotland with fairly sustained runs of fish. And then you've got the Moy that has staggering numbers of fish caught with probably near 70 percent killed. Do their salmon do something different to ours ? Maybe my theory regarding wind turbines and their cables could be a possibility ?

Andrew B

Reaction score

Lol that’s so true. Nothing we can do about huge winter floods but just the fact that no river has been allowed to have a trial with a sensible cull rate of saw bills and Cormorants tells me, nobody is interested in the plight of the king of fish?

Andrew B

Reaction score
The thing that I can't get my head round is when virtually every west coast river is struggling there's still rivers in northern Scotland with fairly sustained runs of fish. And then you've got the Moy that has staggering numbers of fish caught with probably near 70 percent killed. Do their salmon do something different to ours ? Maybe my theory regarding wind turbines and their cables could be a possibility ?

Oh that’s a whole bunch of unknowns re those wind turbines. Just the fact, that it’s always been put out there about those monstrosity’s being a potential threat for migratory birds and fish, kinda suggests they know something about em?

budge

Reaction score
Oh that’s a whole bunch of unknowns re those wind turbines. Just the fact, that it’s always been put out there about those monstrosity’s being a potential threat for migratory birds and fish, kinda suggests they know something about em?
Well if salmon are supposed to navigate using minute magnetic signals I just wonder what effect the magnetic fields surrounding current carrying cables does to their homing instincts ?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Well if salmon are supposed to navigate using minute magnetic signals I just wonder what effect the magnetic fields surrounding current carrying cables does to their homing instincts ?

First time this year I’ve not seen salmon leaping off the Menai straights at Carnarvon. Many of those fish were usually bound for rivers like the Dee and maybe even the Ribble but as they leave the straights at Bangor, it’s not long before they reach rows upon rows of turbines

budge

Reaction score
First time this year I’ve not seen salmon leaping off the Menai straights at Carnarvon. Many of those fish were usually bound for rivers like the Dee and maybe even the Ribble but as they leave the straights at Bangor, it’s not long before they reach rows upon rows of turbines
Yeah it's the same up the coast, Morecambe bay has an incredible number stretching for mile after mile out to sea. It might be a load of tosh but I wonder if any studies have been done on the effects ?

pendlefly

Reaction score
Distinct lack of fish on the Ribble I have fished on some good water heights and not seen any signs below Settle I only know of two fish caught on the same day also lack of anglers nice water today only myself and the otter were fishing.

Rennie

Reaction score
Been out once more today, Ribble was up a touch on last outing and to be honest I'd have preferred the water to have dropped in more, but it was a damn fine height to swing a flee and the river conditions were plenty good enough.
I swung my usual back end plaggy tubes through a few pools and never saw as much as a fin wave at me. Now it was a comfy fording of the river when I got there, but it rained most of the morning and I didn't have much to play with or I'd have been caught out. As such I couldn't settle untill I saw the Gisburn Guage start to fall back and as such I loitered rather too much near to my fording point.As soon as my confidence was restored I put on the Francis on a Green poly and tried again. I wasn't quite ploughing the bottom, but anything lurking was going to get a reet good look !.. So, a nice cast- as were most of the preceding ones come to that- and right down the middle of the river, mid swing in the strongest flow a heavy pull ripped line off the reel and bounced off down the river pulling nicely. I slowly put the brakes on and after 10yds, it turned and bump bump bump out in the stream.I had everything nice n sorted, reels drag holding the fish and I was settling down to enjoy my self and it fell off. Yes I swore loudly. Everything checked out ok, so finished the pool for nowt and moved down a pool. Next pool and in a similar fashion a very strong pull right down the middle of the pool, I could feel its weight pulling at the flee, lifted the rod and - - - booger all, sod all, and naff alll.
So I was confident I was on course to catch. Ha!, that'll teach me. Nothing else followed- 1 trout apart.Saw nothing at all show all day long. The wind just got steadily worse, my Rage head was safe in the bag in the car! My temper was fraying ever more and eventually the red felt pen came out and put a line right through the remainder of the day.
No idea why I found a fish or two, or if I was lucky ( highly likely! ) or particularly skilful ( no laughing there! ).The only thing I do know is Bothy Cat's Francis flees with plastic feelers do seem to irritate fish into having a go!.
A possible one further trip in the pipeline, but if the rain follows the forecast, I might have to go shopping with her indoors instead!
I think I'd at least feel a bit more confident if I saw an otter, but they seem as scarce as any fish.I do feel the two are linked!
Pedro.