Ribble 2021

budge

Reaction score
As Fred mentioned in his Ribble report that 1976 was a terrible drought but the fish were stacked up down the bottom of the river. My theory since the collapse of the Autumn runs, is that we only have one run or class of fish, from May to August at best?
Yeh my limited experience over recent years has been just that although there are still clean fish trickling in right up till the end of the season and probably beyond. I had a fresh fish the day before the season ended 2 years ago. Going back twenty odd years the fish seemed to hang about longer in the lower river rather than flying through to the top end ? Not sure why but maybe the numbers were higher then ?

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

Something else that is probably linked to this is the lack of Parr in the lower and middle River ? Salmon and seatrout used to linger around the stream mouths at spawning time awaiting a bit of rain so they could run up and do the business. I'm not sure this still happens ?

Last edited:

Ratman

Reaction score
Hopefully we're seeing an autumn run. I've just seen a video taken this evening of a bar of silver in teens of pounds going over the Foss and heard several other reports of clean fish the last few days.

castaway

Reaction score
I heard that too...
Rumour has it that it was a fish taken on the Nith and kept in pristine condition on its return to Lancashire only to be chucked into the Ribble above the weir at Settle.
Well its only going to go one way I suppose😂.
Sorry, got to have a laugh at that one.
I'll eat me hat if any fresh fish have made it past Settle in this last rise...
I don't think there are any salmon to come, its been too dry this year and forecast is for high pressure off Scandinavia well into autumn so a dry Autumn, =poor spawning year so nature plays its ace card and keeps em at sea.
Might get some big MSW salmon next year if my theory is correct👍

Andrew B

Reaction score
I heard that too...
Rumour has it that it was a fish taken on the Nith and kept in pristine condition on its return to Lancashire only to be chucked into the Ribble above the weir at Settle.
Well its only going to go one way I suppose😂.
Sorry, got to have a laugh at that one.
I'll eat me hat if any fresh fish have made it past Settle in this last rise...
I don't think there are any salmon to come, its been too dry this year and forecast is for high pressure off Scandinavia well into autumn so a dry Autumn, =poor spawning year so nature plays its ace card and keeps em at sea.
Might get some big MSW salmon next year if my theory is correct👍
Plenty of good running water on this last rise for any fish to run on, albeit there’s an absence of fish.

Andrew B

Reaction score
After yesterday’s unproductive afternoon at Mitton quite a sobering thought to have such great water and yet no Mid Ribble rods out and not even a finnock seen.
Like I’ve said I always thought that-beat flattered to deceive in the best of times? But I always saw fish or seen others catch.
Who knows maybe I’d of caught if I’d taken my trusty little rapala outfit as I’m not a good salmon fly angler but even then I reckon it would be case of just trying to find the odd single fish? Either that or I missed the best time, when unseen fish can become active after tea but I’m trying to be optimistic there lol.

I remember thinking a few years ago on day in June, walking past the Jumbles and seeing some really big fish taking the jumbles and running fast. But as great as that was I do remember thinking if this June run ends, we gonna be f*** to put it mildly as that May/June run did look good and stronger than before imo? But imo it was kinda replacing the dead Autumn runs and almost masking over the rest of the year if that makes any sense to anyone.

This trend was also repeated on other rivers I’d fished such as the Teifi, where June became the best chance to catch a salmon in a season.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Waddow Fish Counts ( September)
Once again very disappointing figures. We had a total of 111 fish counted up and 14 fish down. The up counts were 48 fish under 4lbs and 49 fish over 4lbs. This gives us a total of just 204 fish over 4lbs since the beginning of the year. We only had one good running lift the whole of the month on the 29th.
Hopefully October's counts will be better as we had six consecutive days of big waters at the beginning of the month for the fish to run hard a long way upstream on both rivers.

budge

Reaction score
Wasted journey to lower Ribble this morning water like cocoa apparently it's from Leeds Liverpool canal breach that has flowed into a brook that feeds the Calder ? Hope it gets sorted soon.

Rennie

Reaction score
Well, finally got off the mark and avoided the dreaded Blankety Blank Cheque Book n Pen yesterday. After a titanic struggle, hours of arm wrenching play, all my backing at times stretched bow tight across Lady Ribble I finally slipped the net under a slightly shabby, quite coloured and truth be told a little beaten up 5lb Cock Grilse.
Jocularity apart that fish was most welcome indeed, because I could see a Nil Pointer hurtling towards me come the end of October.
As per, there at before 1st light and tackled up under the head torch again. As the light broke stood in the waters edge looking at 7 ins over summer- close as I could guess and a fish topped as the light hit full strength.Now I have this thought in my head I'm fishing flee's with too much impact, so put on a 1/4" very sparse tube and a 14 terrible with little other than two turns turn of Hackle, Two Boar bristles and a Dubbing body. Right in the showing spot I cast and failed to shoot the last couple of inches of running line ( must brush up on the casting! ) so I gripped it to the rod butt and near enough in the spot something hit the flee very hard, snatched that inch or so of line away but I never felt any thing else. So aggressive was it I thought Sea Trout!.
Any way, fished the pool through for nothing else.Tried another pool, just to let things settle for a while, but on returning decided I was fishing too big- still !- and not deep enough ( its a relatively shallow pool/ run any way! ).
So a few weeks back I did some cone heads on tube liner tube with the smallest FITS cones, literally a turn of Dubbing, one of Hackle and two Boar Bristles coupled to this teeny tidgy cone head. No extension tubing, I fished my size 14 Partridge free swinging, whole lot maybe the size of a finger nail.
Same place once more and the line tightened up nicely and pressure's off.
Now at this height of water I'm usually quite confident as fish that are there are usually holding and less likely to be running- esp. quickly and as far as I'm concerned I can get a crack at them, work out an approach. I did see another couple of fish else where, but not another knock or owt from a fish, despite at times rumbling Cone Heads or Francis down close or along the bottom.
Certainly not a lot of fish there thats for sure and I was lucky with out a doubt, suppose proof of any measure of skill would come with the capture of a second fish ( in the same year? )- no mean feat as to how Ribble is currently.I did have a fish run through a pool head past me as the light fell away , but it had very little physical presence and could have been a Sea Trout as it wasn't big.
It wasn't a bad day to fish, good flow in all the pools and runs, no awkward wind, no leaves-yet! - overcast and clear water, spot on for the 8 weight switch which I love fishing.
Just have to see what happens next, I think if we get fish dropping back ( thats if there's enough to drop back ) we could still get a fish or so, but I'm not counting on any pushing on upstream to us or past us.
No doubt I'll try again, tight lines all.
Pedro,

doubletaper

Reaction score
Well done pete! You definitely deserve that fish & you tie an excellent fly, off up there on Sunday Mid-Ribble way and I'll be happy if I see one never mind catch one! Only had one myself off the Border Esk this year but it looks like the Ribble should get topped up looking at the forecast for the rest of October so let's hope there's still one or two to come yet that are stubbbornly stuck in the estuary. Is the Leeds Liverpool still running in to the Calder I wonder?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Good man. Just shows how tough going it’s been this year Pedro. My trip on Sunday to Mitton was in good water but full sunshine, which did leave me wondering if I’d of seen more at last knockings?
Pretty sure by setting up at first light gave you that chance of spotting that fish that showed. I used to sit by a certain pool on a spate river in September and would swear there was nothing, only to see a bunch of salmon wake up at around 6:00pm and start nosing and porpoising round the pool.
Let’s hope some either drop back as they do on the Ribble or that another spate can bring in a late run as can happen with the Hodder.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Well done pete! You definitely deserve that fish & you tie an excellent fly, off up there on Sunday Mid-Ribble way and I'll be happy if I see one never mind catch one! Only had one myself off the Border Esk this year but it looks like the Ribble should get topped up looking at the forecast for the rest of October so let's hope there's still one or two to come yet that are stubbbornly stuck in the estuary. Is the Leeds Liverpool still running in to the Calder I wonder?
You know I thought the Calder looked a funny colour on Sunday on that stretch just above Calderfoot? Lol I have to say that I was thinking the same on what is a large piece of water at Mitton as I was resigned to just being happy to some fish, never mind actually catching any 😂

budge

Reaction score
Ribble colour much better today although still a bit there. Bottom is covered in a layer of sediment and it smells a bit earthy. Could do with a flush through now to freshen things up. Didn't see or touch owt unfortunately.

castaway

Reaction score
I am not sure I have ever seen a fresh fish at the Foss, certainly not after 1st October ! And I have seen a few.
By fresh I meant fish with a bit of silver left on them as apposed to tide fresh.
Was interesting to watch the behaviour of the fish.
It's almost as though they poke a head out of the water to have a quick look at what they are up against, the most successful ones seem to aim at a point two thirds up the fall and just power through. That flow presents no problems to em.
Fascinating to see, all the more so when you realise the long arduous journey they have made to arrive at the Foss...trawlers... seals... nets.... my allys shrimp patterns.... pollution and so on.
Was great to see the kids (and adults) screaching in joy when they come out of the water.
Going to make a point of visiting early when the season ends to avoid the melee.
Should a been fishing today but put off by the cocoa colour through this week.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Plenty of fish (non fresh) tackling the Foss this afternoon
I wonder how long before Ladbrokes have a stall on the bank taking bets on how many fish make it per hour.
Pretty rowdy up at tha Foss today. 😬
Positive news at least. November 2010 was just incredible up there. Right from the off at that small weir we saw loads of fish both fresh and old and then at the Foss it was just a photographers dream.
2010 was just a great year period though

Andrew B

Reaction score
A guy who was in the Manchester club had a great blog about fishing above the Foss. I was often amazed at how much he caught when conditions were bang on. I’m not talking late season either? This guy would take sea trout in July up there and Salmon before they probably dropped back.

Andrew B

Reaction score
By fresh I meant fish with a bit of silver left on them as apposed to tide fresh.
Was interesting to watch the behaviour of the fish.
It's almost as though they poke a head out of the water to have a quick look at what they are up against, the most successful ones seem to aim at a point two thirds up the fall and just power through. That flow presents no problems to em.
Fascinating to see, all the more so when you realise the long arduous journey they have made to arrive at the Foss...trawlers... seals... nets.... my allys shrimp patterns.... pollution and so on.
Was great to see the kids (and adults) screaching in joy when they come out of the water.
Going to make a point of visiting early when the season ends to avoid the melee.
Should a been fishing today but put off by the cocoa colour through this week.
Great observation as I had no idea until reading Falkus, that this is what salmon do at tackling falls. I was convinced they ran falls at night but not according to Falkus as they really do visually check it out?

Andrew B

Reaction score
I am not sure I have ever seen a fresh fish at the Foss, certainly not after 1st October ! And I have seen a few.
Sorry about so many repeat replies but I don’t know how to use the function that highlights a few a time?
Any old Ribble rod would know about early fish running the Foss and dropping back.
Not so many now but when the Ribble had tide bright autumn fish, there were plenty to see, some of which could of been months away from spawning.
There’s a post on the previous page about a guy catching two black kippers above the Foss? Given water this year I suspect these could be February or March fish no?

budge

Reaction score
Sorry about so many repeat replies but I don’t know how to use the function that highlights a few a time?
Any old Ribble rod would know about early fish running the Foss and dropping back.
Not so many now but when the Ribble had tide bright autumn fish, there were plenty to see, some of which could of been months away from spawning.
There’s a post on the previous page about a guy catching two black kippers above the Foss? Given water this year I suspect these could be February or March fish no?
They were quite possibly springers but more likely to have been sat in one of the big pools lower down or Long Preston deeps then run on the high water last week.