Ribble 2021

SP8

Reaction score
Bradford City have water on the deeps although I've never fished it as I am not a bait or spin fisher but judging from their annual reports salmon get caught there. It would seem an ideal area for fish to hold up without expending much energy but who knows what a salmon thinks.

SP8

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Plenty of salmon hold up in the Deeps. I used to fish the slow deep sections many years ago, mainly for pike. Saw plenty of salmon and even had some follow pike lures. There used to be some big pike but not many of them. Blanks were the norm, certainly back in the 80s/90s.

Plenty of chub which would bask on the surface on hot summer days.

Ratman

Reaction score
That’s probably why a lot didn’t like it on account of it being a bait fishing spot? I’ve never even been down there to see it as it’s just not somewhere you end up with it being below those wetland type fields off the road?
I’m gonna join full membership for Colne anglers this year who have some fishing rights there so I’ll have to go for a recce. 9fish in a day is really something wherever you fish and with what method imo.
Slow and deep mainly. He would fish whatever method suited conditions best, he once caught a 27lb bar of silver on fly on the ness while on holiday, the ghillie kept it in his bath for people to come and look at! He could catch a salmon from a muddy puddle

Ratman

Reaction score
What's the earliest fish you've all caught off the Ribble. Mine was 27th may on upper river, I only went to try a new line. I'm thinking of making more of an effort earlier on in the season

Andrew B

Reaction score
What's the earliest fish you've all caught off the Ribble. Mine was 27th may on upper river, I only went to try a new line. I'm thinking of making more of an effort earlier on in the season
July is my earliest but I’ve hooked a lost a salmon in June. Bit of misnomer since I’ve never fished prior to June?
I do have a Theory that the runs of sea trout are changing albeit with the past three wet summers I’ve yet to test this theory but I reckon June is probably the best time for Ribble sea trout nowadays.
Just to back this up I’ve seen large shoals of decent sized sea trout on walks in June on the opposite bank below Edisford bridge stretch. I’ve been around long enough to not confuse them with chub? And both times these fish were gone the next day.
There’s a fish van that comes to Barnoldswick in summer selling decent sized sea trout at a price that seems too cheap? I’m all for buying freshly caught fish but I have a feeling these are Ribble and Lune fish being sold which at this time does my head in to be honest.

Rennie

Reaction score
I’ve had a few in mid May, maybe a little earlier, very dependant on water and conditions. Past two years have been very disappointing with earlyfish off up n away without lingering by us!.
Pedro.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Earliest nearly landed was April 8th, tide fresh jerry 14/15lbs, fly near Clitheroe. 4 jumps and several long runs. Got it under control then hook pulled as was drawing towards my bank. Next was 22nd April, 18lbs plus, same beat on fly. Hook pulled trying to get it ready to tail. Lost another that day. Next 5 springers I hooked on fly i landed earliest 10th May 13lbs , best a liced 20lber on single handed rod circa May 20th 2015.

Not so much as touched one since lol

budge

Reaction score
April 17th for me 39" fresh fish on lower river. Lost a fish last year on 14th March, didn't get a look as hook came out after a couple of minutes so could have been a Kelt.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

dave_n

Reaction score
I had every intention of course fishing the Prince Albert beats this winter, with an eye on Salmon fishing in spring...sadly covid has ruined my fiendish plans. Any help on the PA beats would be most welcome

Salmo solar

Reaction score
Osbaldeston worth a chuck on the PA, the best bits are a bit of a walk at the end of the beat in the faster water, although haven't fished it for the last 10 years as gave up due to having too much water to fish in other clubs and not enough time due to work and children.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
February 22nd Low Moor it was about 25lb on a Yellow Belly Devon a bait no longer in favour but a great one for springers.
On Lowmoor as well. Always expect these early captures from the big Ribble. I once got talking to an old but brilliant Salmon angler on the Dwyfor a river more known for sea trout? I was telling him about a certain pool called Alt Goch a pool fairly high up the system where I know the salmon like. He said give or take the odd month, that pool always has some fish in it and that fish will enter the river every month of the year.
Course we’d love it if they were like currants in a bun?

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
On Lowmoor as well. Always expect these early captures from the big Ribble. I once got talking to an old but brilliant Salmon angler on the Dwyfor a river more known for sea trout? I was telling him about a certain pool called Alt Goch a pool fairly high up the system where I know the salmon like. He said give or take the odd month, that pool always has some fish in it and that fish will enter the river every month of the year.

The fish I described above were all from Low Moor with the exception of the 20lber from below Calderfoot. Low Moor is certainly a good springer beat, the weir appears to slow those who are motoring..

Andrew B

Reaction score
The fish I described above were all from Low Moor with the exception of the 20lber from below Calderfoot. Low Moor is certainly a good springer beat, the weir appears to slow those who are motoring..
Lowmoor for sure and the famed Minnow Pool that hardly gets fished is another place I’ve seen to hold early fish.

wilbert

Reaction score
2nd May is my earliest off the Ribble. I had hold of 2 that day both about 15lb and bars of silver. The first one slipped the hook right at my feet as I was about to land it. After years of trying to get a Ribble springer I was left feeling gutted. I sat with my head in my hands for what felt like an eternity but was probably only a couple of minutes. Then a voice in my head shouted at me "Get your ar5e back to the top of that pool and get fishing again, you'll not catch anything feeling sorry for yourself" 5 minutes later and the line went heavy and surface exploded with 15lb of sea liced fury which stayed on until the end.

Salmo solar

Reaction score
22nd May for me from the Hodder, another one was also caught the same day. Bright, lovely 16lb springer. I was only going down to check I had all my gear together prior to a trip to Scotland. I have always seen a few knocking around in the Hodder in May but no one seems to fish for them.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
When we had fishing at Balderstone, I rose a fish there one nice April day in the House pool, nice slow motion rise, head, back ,tail- then nowt!.
You should still be able to identify the spot with all the C's and B's littered about on the river bed. Careful you don't trip up on them!.
Pedro.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
This was in the early 70,s when fish ran upstream earlier to get away from all the toxic waste coming down the Calder. We have mentioned this in detail in earlier posts. Those were the days when we had litterly dozens of fish every year. The keener lads lost count of just how many.

Rennie

Reaction score
Ribble looks to be falling back nice enough, any one risk a few hours on her- travel restriction permitting of course, sadly I'm counted out due to distance,
Pedro.

sutty

Reaction score
Yesterday might have been okay, but didn't want to go alone, and my brother in law could not meet up with me, plus probably doesn't comply with the 'local' rules anyway. Just as well, I'm sure it would have been too cold. I think I'll just wait until it's at least moderately warm, by which time, hopefully, lockdown will be over, or at least adequately relaxed.

Last edited:

SP8

Reaction score
Sadly it's too far for me with the restrictions or else a day flexing the casting muscles would have been good. Snowed in this morning so don't even have to think about it.

SP8