Ribble 2021

Andrew B

Reaction score
I don't mind seeing the odd otter but numbers are going through the roof. You can see them across the whole river system. The predator prey balance is getting top heavy. I'm not talking about the fish they take but more the wildfowl, when I was a kid you could find dozens of moorhen nests, stretches of the upper ribble near where I grew up had hundreds of mallard on them but not anymore. Many years ago before the massive decline in otter numbers due to pesticides otters were hunted. I think hunting creates a healthy population, removing the old and weak, reducing numbers without big declines, just keeping a healthy balance.
The same applies for FEBs. If they were added to the general licence they would be controlled not eradicated.
It’s the Herons on my river that are doing for the mallard chicks.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I reckon Otters love an Eel more than any other fish? So sad and damning that Eel numbers are down over 90%.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Just can’t make it up this year re the weather? My annual trip to Wales in first two weeks of July saw no rain of any importance. So as I’m gearing up for going back down to Criccieth next Friday, the forecast is set fair, meaning it will be cracking the pavement. If they’ve had some meaningful rain since July then things may still be ok for sea trout as previous wet years has seen them head for the hills.
I’ve not even fished the Ribble once this year.

Andrew B

Reaction score
No expert at all but been around 10 times this year to Mitton. Generally only seen the occasional salmon on each visit apart from 7/8 on one day in early July. Not had a take at all. Will be going again this week in hope rather than expectation
Have you stayed on into the evening at Mitton? Obviously there’s the sea trout as it gets dark, but even in the good days, you could fish all day at Mitton and not see owt, until a fresh group of salmon would come in, off the tide.
There used to be some good articles knocking around about fishing the EA stretch at Mitton, which would usually mention fishing in the evening for a mixed bag of Grilse and Sea Trout.

Fair amazed to read Fred’s report of a Salmon caught on purpose on the fly, somewhere on the river Calder?

KeithH

Reaction score
Have you stayed on into the evening at Mitton? Obviously there’s the sea trout as it gets dark, but even in the good days, you could fish all day at Mitton and not see owt, until a fresh group of salmon would come in, off the tide.
There used to be some good articles knocking around about fishing the EA stretch at Mitton, which would usually mention fishing in the evening for a mixed bag of Grilse and Sea Trout.

Fair amazed to read Fred’s report of a Salmon caught on purpose on the fly, somewhere on the river Calder?
No I have only been during the main part of the day which is not ideal with mostly bright conditions and clear water so easily spooked I guess. There are odd fish around although not many showing. One around 12lb seen by another angler yesterday in a fairly shallow pool. Must go back in the latter part of the day.

Rennie

Reaction score
Took the plunge and drove over yesterday.It's nice to be out n about, fishing in a nice place. Honestly?, hardly worth the effort.Never saw a fin break the surface, either Salmon or Sea Trout.
I had some insider info at least where to look to find a fish, but the pool was full of swimmers, boaters, surrounded by campers and inhabited by the rod and forked stick brigade.
Suppose every ones entitled to a piece of the countryside, but it was frustrating!.Think that spot will be all too popular all the Bank Holliday weekend.
Ah well, at least the 13fter got some exercise!.Thank god for Dace and Rub a Dubs.
Pedro.

doubletaper

Reaction score
Another year with not enough of the wet stuff again but let's hope for a decent back end run!! As anglers most of us are optimistic folk and it's just nice to be away from the hustle & bustle of work & family life IMO anyway. Can't beat a day in the Ribble Valley on that lovely water but these dry summers in the last few years are a worrying trend and I hope we're in for a few wet summers in the next couple of years to see if there's any change in numbers of Sea Trout & Salmon numbers with water?

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Another year with not enough of the wet stuff again but let's hope for a decent back end run!! As anglers most of us are optimistic folk and it's just nice to be away from the hustle & bustle of work & family life IMO anyway. Can't beat a day in the Ribble Valley on that lovely water but these dry summers in the last few years are a worrying trend and I hope we're in for a few wet summers in the next couple of years to see if there's any change in numbers of Sea Trout & Salmon numbers with water?
This is the worst summer we’ve had for years!
I can’t say the last 3 years have been to bad though…
I do a lot of sea trout fishing & the past 3 seasons have been a wash out, as soon as it’s been peak time sea trout in July I’ve barely got out apart from this year.
It‘s been a really disappointing year so far, with the lack of rain.
I’ve not done to bad with sea trout but I’ve not touched any salmon on the Ribble apart from one I hooked at night while sea trout fishing, which run me into a snag & broke the leader on the dropper knot…
There’s still time for the fish to come yet…
The river needs a big flood that’ll last for a week or so to get the salmon running imo

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Actually we’ve had a bunch of really wet summers for a while as us sea trout fishermen were left with to many spates.
This year has been very dry though, albeit some places have had extreme floods. Welcome to climate change.
I’ll be very interested to see what the Dwyfor holds next week as September used to be a great month on there for sea trout and salmon but my fear is it will be bone dry?

Andrew B

Reaction score
This is the worst summer we’ve had for years!
I can’t say the last 3 years have been to bad though…
I do a lot of sea trout fishing & the past 3 seasons have been a wash out, as soon as it’s been peak time sea trout in July I’ve barely got apart from this year.
It‘s been a really disappointing year so far, with the lack of rain.
I’ve not done to bad with sea trout but I’ve not touched any salmon on the Ribble apart from one I hooked at night while sea trout fishing, which run me into a snag & broke the leader on the dropper knot…
There’s still time for the fish to come yet…
The river needs a big flood that’ll last for a week or so to get the salmon running imo
Yes this was my take. Funny how we can remember things different isn’t it? As a fellow sea trouter my memory is the same as yours for past three or four years. Dry spring and then from middle of July and the August holidays it was non stop rain, which actually isn’t even great for the salmon angler as the rivers were rarely settled.
I would always meet up with a guy on the Dwyfor in September who would always take his week then for guaranteed sea trout action. Truly brilliant angler as well, who may of fished for England. Poor guy needs an oxygen tank now with him and needs a lift in a car to the lower river. Past four years I’ve seen him and the river was either in spate or all the fish had already bombed so far upriver and the tributaries that the river was literally empty?
Think the year before someone had counted 19 major spates lol.

I’m sure even on the Ribble the fish are changing their habits? So these past few wet years, they no longer seem to hang around mid Ribble and just get lost above Gisburn and possibly even Settle?

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Yes this was my take. Funny how we can remember things different isn’t it? As a fellow sea trouter my memory is the same as yours for past three or four years. Dry spring and then from middle of July and the August holidays it was non stop rain, which actually isn’t even great for the salmon angler as the rivers were rarely settled.
I would always meet up with a guy on the Dwyfor in September who would always take his week then for guaranteed sea trout action. Truly brilliant angler as well, who may of fished for England. Poor guy needs an oxygen tank now with him and needs a lift in a car to the lower river. Past four years I’ve seen him and the river was either in spate or all the fish had already bombed so far upriver and the tributaries that the river was literally empty?
Think the year before someone had counted 19 major spates lol.

I’m sure even on the Ribble the fish are changing their habits? So these past few wet years, they no longer seem to hang around mid Ribble and just get lost above Gisburn and possibly even Settle?
Sorry to hear about your good friends health issues Andrew.
It sounds like you’ve had some good sea trout fishing trips down on Dwyfor Over the years..
It’s good to get the odd lift in in the summer months to get the fish moving into the pools but the river needs to settle down, not up & down every week for good sea trout fishing.
I haven’t done to bad with sea trout this season on the Ribble but no luck with the salmon yet.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your good friends health issues Andrew.
It sounds like you’ve had some good sea trout fishing trips down on Dwyfor Over the years..
It’s good to get the odd lift in in the summer months to get the fish moving into the pools but the river needs to settle down, not up & down every week for good sea trout fishing.
I haven’t done to bad with sea trout this season on the Ribble but no luck with the salmon yet.
Have you now? Well that’s something re the Ribble Sea Trout as the Ribble and Hodder were known for these fish.
Honestly I’ve never been able to catch any, despite me fishing on some fine nights with fish running. I’ve come close and lost two in a night once, but I’ve never really been able to suss the Ribble out, albeit confined to public stretches.

I’ve done well on the Dwyfor and it was a bunch of Ribble anglers who told me about it. Also done well on the Ogwen but more for Salmon and then the River Dart, Lyhner, Camel and my two trips to the Teifi.
I don’t know but we’re only going back 8-10 years when I could book the first week in June on any of these rivers and guarantee to have runs of decent sized sea trout to fish for.

But you’re right about the odd lift as that’s exactly what I used to get, settled weather, with just the odd lift to keep things moving.
I don’t believe in keeping everything quiet re rivers like the Dwyfor? I know some would say Shush but nobody is fishing these rivers anymore so if you like sea trout, try a weeks holiday near Criccieth as the place is beautiful anyway👍

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
It took me years before I started to catch sea trout on the Ribble, I’ve not done much on the Hodder, only herling on our club water…
As you’ll know that sea trout aren’t easy to catch. They have an habit of just nipping at the flies, but some nights when the fish are on, you get good solid takes off them…
The trouble is you can’t predict when these nights are.

Rennie

Reaction score
As my season on Ribble's very fair banks is slowly desolving into a non event without water, I'm wondering now I've retired and am unbound by the traditional restraints of the working week, bed times and the rest of the shackles that hold back we Angling class folks ( hells teeth that was a gob full! ) is it worth my time and effort in chasing a Ribble Sea Trout. To date I've not been overly successful, but as I can see a nil pointer on the cards, it would be nice to think i'd at least earned a fish or two for my returns this season.I've not seen much of owt at all so far this season, and I have to say am champing at the bit to get the rod bent by summat !.
Simply laugh if you think its a wasted line of thought, or merely walk off shaking your head at that daft Tyke once more.
Pedro.

budge

Reaction score
As my season on Ribble's very fair banks is slowly desolving into a non event without water, I'm wondering now I've retired and am unbound by the traditional restraints of the working week, bed times and the rest of the shackles that hold back we Angling class folks ( hells teeth that was a gob full! ) is it worth my time and effort in chasing a Ribble Sea Trout. To date I've not been overly successful, but as I can see a nil pointer on the cards, it would be nice to think i'd at least earned a fish or two for my returns this season.I've not seen much of owt at all so far this season, and I have to say am champing at the bit to get the rod bent by summat !.
Simply laugh if you think its a wasted line of thought, or merely walk off shaking your head at that daft Tyke once more.
Pedro.
Not sure who's to blame for the lack of water and fish ? Must be either of us two or both of us for retiring early ? Can't say wandering the Ribble in the dark appeals nowadays.

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Pedro.
I’m sure they’ll be plenty of sea trout on your beat Pete.
I‘ve a decent season so far, slightly lower down river than you pal.
I know it’s getting late in the season now for them them, but there’s usually a late run of fresh fish towards the end of the season…
I think we’re all getting down hearted waiting for the river to flood for the salmon to run.
Fishing in the dark isn’t for everyone, but if you don’t mind it, get out while you can.

Warwick I

Reaction score
I used to look forward to Sea Trouting on the Ribble and Lune on warm summers evenings, but since my fishing buddie pass away last year whom I fished with in the evenings for Sea Trout and me well into my seventy's. Fishing on my own in the dark then a hours drive back home is losing its appeal, just been once this year on the Lune plenty of Sea Trout in the pool but not taking that evening.

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
I used to look forward to Sea Trouting on the Ribble and Lune on warm summers evenings, but since my fishing buddie pass away last year whom I fished with in the evenings for Sea Trout and me well into my seventy's. Fishing on my own in the dark then a hours drive back home is losing its appeal, just been once this year on the Lune plenty of Sea Trout in the pool but not taking that evening.
My time will come when I’m no longer able to get about safely on the river at night…
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Reports of flooding in Lancashire on the national news but river at about 0.3 metres at Settle !! Looks like it was all very localised.

budge

Reaction score
Reports of flooding in Lancashire on the national news but river at about 0.3 metres at Settle !! Looks like it was all very localised.
Yeh I was expecting a metre or so at Ribchester today. We had 0.3 metres running down some of the roads here yesterday but it mustn't have got over there

Tayrod

Reaction score
Your more than welcome to come fishing with me and I live in locally to youself

Rennie

Reaction score
Well, been sat at home thinking the seasons slipping past and there's sod all happening!.
So, hang it- 4am this morning, few inches in Ribble, slow fall and might be in with 1/2 or even the only chance the car was ready packed and the Rennie mobile humming like a good un as I sped Ribbleside.
Tackled up with the head torch and stood by my favourite pool as the light started to show. I'd spent most of yesterday tying tiny tiny tubes for 16 trebles, I'd the 6 weight switch rigged and 11lb Seaguar point on my tapered leader. A fish showed right where it should in the taking spot and not in the showing spot!, I was fired up to say the least.
As the light fully developed the water looked slightly coloured, maybe a tadge dusty, so I swayed over the tiny stuff and went up a size, but I was warm in fact sticky, the water was 62deg.F.
I spent far too long fannying, up a size, more brighter colours, change again, couldn't settle.
As the river started to clear I thought sod it, went small, clear and drab and stayed like that.
Part of my plan if I saw a fish or even in the likely spots if I didn't was to fish the tiniest Tungsten cone head, boar bristly shrimpy very sparse thing down deep n dirty, literally two turns of hackle and two boar bristles on 1/4" of tube and a small Tungsten cone.Sadly it was a bit too heavy, but I sort of got a presentation.
Sadly not a sniff.There's not a lot in Ribble, a prolonged push of clean water is whats needed, little freshet's can't move river fish that aren't there.
A drop in water temp too won't go amiss, a frost for a few mornings could throw up a surprise!
Ah well, if you don't try, you don't know!
Pedro.

NT

Reaction score
Yeh I was expecting a metre or so at Ribchester today. We had 0.3 metres running down some of the roads here yesterday but it mustn't have got over there

I had a couple of hours at the top of the tide at Cuerdale this evening, the river had risen a little and was running fairly clear but didn't see any salmon, a bit disappointing after a reasonable tide at 2.30 this afternoon. At this time of year in previous seasons you would always see a few salmon splashing in the fast water or in the Mellings Wood pool.

NT

Reaction score
Having said that, just seen this on the River Ribble Salmon and Seatrout facebook page 'plenty of salmon jumping as the tide was receding on the Boulevard yesterday evening' - the Boulevard is just up from Preston Docks.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Having said that, just seen this on the River Ribble Salmon and Seatrout facebook page 'plenty of salmon jumping as the tide was receding on the Boulevard yesterday evening' - the Boulevard is just up from Preston Docks.
The Boulevard as it's known is at Frenchwood, downstream right bank a couple hundred yards from London Road Bridge Walton-le-Dale Preston, it's well above the docks. Upstream of Avenham Park. The River Darwen enters on the opposite bank. Though shallow it used to hold a lot of fish in low water just below Darwen foot.