Ribble 2021

Rennie

Reaction score
At the moment, it's only going to move what little river fish there are about, there won't have been enough fresh down the river to give a shout to the fish fish we all want to run in.Might be enough for a few Grilse and Summer Fish low down, but I wouldn't expect them to be moving far.I'd still expect things to be dirty and mucky until we get a positive lift of the river to flush the crap out and then run clear at a good height for a few days.Keep your eyes on the skies n gauges folks.
Pedro.

Last edited:

Clitheroe Kid

Reaction score
I was walking along Mearley Brook in Clitheroe yesterday evening, and stopped to see if Tesco Trout was about.

Sadly, there was a stream of crap pouring into the river from the drain that runs underneath Waterloo Road, and I doubt any fish could have survived this:

I reported it to the EA, and to their credit they did call back for some information, and said they might get someone to go and have a look, but I very much doubt anything will come of it.

I walked down to the new Primrose Nature Reserve, where the brook runs into, and the water in the lake there had changed colour because of the pollution. It's ironic that they've spent thousands on a fish ladder there to allow migratory fish to swim up the brook, but one selfish tw*t can ruin the whole brook in one evening.

It sickened me to see it , and I wish to God I knew who was responsible, as (in the colourful words of my late grandad) they'd soon be getting a turd in a shoebox!

luney

Reaction score
Drove over the Calder on my way to Clitheroe yesterday evening and there looked to be about 2 foot plus in.

Andrew B

Reaction score
At the moment, it's only going to move what little river fish there are about, there won't have been enough fresh down the river to give a shout to the fish fish we all want to run in.Might be enough for a few Grilse and Summer Fish low down, but I wouldn't expect them to be moving far.I'd still expect things to be dirty and mucky until we get a positive lift of the river to flush the crap out and then run clear at a good height for a few days.Keep your eyes on the skies n gauges folks.
Pedro.
Yep I would agree with this, to the point where I probably wouldn’t bother going till after two spates. Ground being so dry the first run off is like milk on Colne Water and hardly a spate.
If there’s a bunch fish out on the tides though, could be some good fishing to come so long as we get some nice coloured water.
As low as it was on the Dwyfor it was still a clean gravel bottom and relatively cool water.

Warwick I

Reaction score
The latest rain while not a bank topper is none the less well come to life in the river, by freshening and cooling the water of the river.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
I was walking along Mearley Brook in Clitheroe yesterday evening, and stopped to see if Tesco Trout was about.

Sadly, there was a stream of crap pouring into the river from the drain that runs underneath Waterloo Road, and I doubt any fish could have survived this:

I reported it to the EA, and to their credit they did call back for some information, and said they might get someone to go and have a look, but I very much doubt anything will come of it.

I walked down to the new Primrose Nature Reserve, where the brook runs into, and the water in the lake there had changed colour because of the pollution. It's ironic that they've spent thousands on a fish ladder there to allow migratory fish to swim up the brook, but one selfish tw*t can ruin the whole brook in one evening.

It sickened me to see it , and I wish to God I knew who was responsible, as (in the colourful words of my late grandad) they'd soon be getting a turd in a shoebox!
Still too easy to get away with this, what with all the new restaurants. hotels etc as well as surviving heavy & light industry in the town, there's plenty of scope for culprits.......
Worth following it upstream in case a "source" is obvious at some point...

budge

Reaction score
Had a day on lower river today. Water a little higher than ideal with a bit too much colour but I was desperate to get out after almost a month away. Only one sharp pull for my efforts but enjoyed it all the same.
Saw a small run of seatrout come through mid afternoon along with a couple of bigger splashes that could have been salmon river dropped a good 8-10 inches and cleared a bit throughout the day , was becoming decent fishing water when I left. Should be bang on tomorrow if we don't get more rain overnight. Story of my life at moment seeing as I'm otherwise engaged this weekend

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

Salmo solar

Reaction score
First session out in 3 months on the Hodder, water had gone but colour was OK. Didn't see, hear or have any pulls off anything. To be honest the river was dead. Was expecting to to a few seatrout splashing through but nothing. My only comment was that it's 3 trips to the Hodder this year and all 3 times the environment stunk of slurry, it reminded me of fishing the lower Ribble about 35 years ago. With the height of water on the Hodder I would have expected the beat I fished to have been stacked up with Salmon/Seatrout especially after no water for so long, unless there was none waiting to come in.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Pancho

Reaction score
I was on the hodder this morning, hooked 5 and landed 3 sea trout. plenty of fish about from what I could see.
Well in mate where abouts on the Hodder if you don't mind me asking looking to join a club on the Hodder

Clitheroe Kid

Reaction score
Sorry to keep banging on about pollution, but as there don't seem to be any salmon around it's at least something to talk about. The latest report is from Devon, where a farm managed to pollute the River Mole, killing 9,000 fish - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...for-pollution-that-devastated-fish-population

They were fined a pitiful £2,000, and it's prompted a petition to impose a minimum fine per fish killed. I don't suppose it'll get anywhere, but if nothing else it will make more people aware of what's happening - https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/117160466/verify?token=eAcLgqrdRj7XjWUnABWG

Andrew B

Reaction score
Sorry to keep banging on about pollution, but as there don't seem to be any salmon around it's at least something to talk about. The latest report is from Devon, where a farm managed to pollute the River Mole, killing 9,000 fish - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...for-pollution-that-devastated-fish-population

They were fined a pitiful £2,000, and it's prompted a petition to impose a minimum fine per fish killed. I don't suppose it'll get anywhere, but if nothing else it will make more people aware of what's happening - https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/117160466/verify?token=eAcLgqrdRj7XjWUnABWG
That’s such a pitiful amount £2,000 they may as well have imposed a token £1. River Mole is Loxies neck of the woods.

budge

Reaction score
Pitiful fine as usual

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

happy days

Reaction score

Signed, Thanks for raising (y)

sutty

Reaction score
There was an article on a TV program where they had caught a fly tipper for dumping a whole heap of asbestos. They caught him by CCTV, and he was fined £1500, and they said they were delighted with the result. However, he's quids in, because proper asbestos disposal would have cost more. He wasn't even fined the cost of the clean up and correct disposal, so how can it be any form of deterrent?

The fine for no motor insurance is less than the cost of motor insurance, for nearly everyone. From the DVLA Website:

"The police could give you a fixed penalty of £300" I mean, wtf!

Sure, you get some points, but if you're the sort who would, you wouldn't care anyway, and, it only says "could".

At the top of our road, currently, is a fridge, a mattress, a cupboard, and various assorted large pieces of other rubbish. Such nice people.

Anyway, this £2000 fine is beyond a joke, and do not apologise for having brought it up. I have signed the petition, and thank you for linking it, but sadly, I suspect it's doomed to failure.

Let's imagine it succeeds, how much per fish would be appropriate. Considering the entire fish kill was estimated to be around 15,000, and I would think the minimum the fine should have actually been would be £30,000. Does £2 per fish seem reasonable.

Better fines would be the entire cost to the environment agency of the clean up, and fish restocking exercise. I could imagine that could easily stretch to several hundreds of thousands of pounds. Then again, they'd never see it. The firm would just declare itself bankrupt, and it would be written off by a court. They would then reopen, with a new name, with new registered directors, and that would be that.

Very sad.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
At long last a good river running with over two metres showing at Waddow. The fish will move on this water, and once it begins to fine off the rods will be out once again.

Waddow Fish count. July

We had a total of 246 counted up and 24 fish counted down. The up counts were 148 fish under 4 lbs and 74 fish over 4lbs. Very poor figures. From the beginning of the year we have only had 131 fish over 4lbs and 271 under 4lbs. Not a lot to give us confidence, unless the runs build up from now until the end of the season we have a real concern.