Ribble 2021

seth

Reaction score
Must be rain forecast, it absolutely stinks of slurry outside, just had to shut all the windows in this heat, bet all the new family’s that have moved to this town are delighted with there purchase.

budge

Reaction score
Must be rain forecast, it absolutely stinks of slurry outside, just had to shut all the windows in this heat, bet all the new family’s that have moved to this town are delighted with there purchase.
Yep definitely due, everywhere stinking all the way back from Scottish borders today.

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
Oh dear not good at all. It did occur to me in North Wales whilst even when low the bottom of the river was super clean stones and gravel which I could only put down to it beIng very rough sheep pasture country. Of course it’s not the same down south west wales which have had major slurry problems

Andrew B

Reaction score
I guess there’s still time left for both sea trout and salmon to turn up in numbers as there is on other rivers esp when the ground get soaked and we have a few spates. It could also just be a bad year all round, based on how the spawning went so many winters back?

Noticed that canny masterful Ribble rod after fishing for chub at midnight on June 16th(new course season) at 3:00 he targeted a sea trout on a snake fly and duly caught a five pounder and then took a 3lber on the Falkus wake lure.
If there’s a better natural angler than Martin James I’d love to see him lol.

happy days

Reaction score
slurry with a fringe on top - yep - air always gets ripe just before rain here in Clitheroe - tractor grid-lock as the farmers race to get shut of the s***.

reading a report on the Wye yesterday - it really put the boot into agricultural waste

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ains-rivers-suffocating-industrial-farm-waste
What a sad report, pity its not on the General board where some are handwringing over antis when this the real and present danger to our sport.

Pancho

Reaction score
I fish the Kent guys not good
May be an image of text

SP8

Reaction score
😡😡😡 Just awful news for the beautiful river Kent. All you can say is, it could of been worse had it started higher up?
Nothing will happen either.
This is terrible news. My wife and I were stopping at Sedgwick two weeks ago and we walked by the river there and in Kendal and I thought what a lovely river it looks. Between farmers and water companies our rivers don't stand a chance. Oh and an EA that openly admitted to the chairman of my club the other day that they don't have the resources or staff to investigate properly.

SP8

Andrew B

Reaction score
This is terrible news. My wife and I were stopping at Sedgwick two weeks ago and we walked by the river there and in Kendal and I thought what a lovely river it looks. Between farmers and water companies our rivers don't stand a chance. Oh and an EA that openly admitted to the chairman of my club the other day that they don't have the resources or staff to investigate properly.

SP8
We’re you on the beautiful looking caravan site at Sedgwick?
if so that’s one place I’ve always fancied going as it was always advertised with fishing available.

sutty

Reaction score
Frustrating to read about such news. I read the article on the BBC, and it is somewhat played down in terms of the impact on wildlife, explaining that prompt action by the EA has mitigated any serious loss so far. Sounds like that might not be the case, judging by what has been posted here, but that's how the BBC article reads. As for the water company, all depends on how they respond, and how the EA treat them. If they get a huge fine, and commit a lot of money to restocking and improving, and spend a lot on preventative measures, then they have put their profits to good use. If, as Andrew just suggested, nothing happens, then that will be a disgrace.

Quick question, whilst here, when my fishing licence says it runs out on the 27th July, do you take that to mean it covers you for the 27th or not? Might sound like a daft question, but I'm a bit of a cheap skate, and I just so happen to be going fishing on the 27th. If I'm covered, I won't go again until a week later, and can buy it to cover me from then, so I save a whole week. Insurance always clarifies, by saying, runs out on 27th July @ 23:59:59 hrs.

The email should say something to confirm. I looked at my paper copy, and that says the same. "Expires 27/7/21". Does that mean it has expired on the 27th, or that it will expire at the end of the day? Expire to me implies it will, not it has. My notes and paperwork that came with it may well have said, but of course I can't find them, lol.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Frustrating to read about such news. I read the article on the BBC, and it is somewhat played down in terms of the impact on wildlife, explaining that prompt action by the EA has mitigated any serious loss so far. Sounds like that might not be the case, judging by what has been posted here, but that's how the BBC article reads. As for the water company, all depends on how they respond, and how the EA treat them. If they get a huge fine, and commit a lot of money to restocking and improving, and spend a lot on preventative measures, then they have put their profits to good use. If, as Andrew just suggested, nothing happens, then that will be a disgrace.

Quick question, whilst here, when my fishing licence says it runs out on the 27th July, do you take that to mean it covers you for the 27th or not? Might sound like a daft question, but I'm a bit of a cheap skate, and I just so happen to be going fishing on the 27th. If I'm covered, I won't go again until a week later, and can buy it to cover me from then, so I save a whole week. Insurance always clarifies, by saying, runs out on 27th July @ 23:59:59 hrs.

The email should say something to confirm. I looked at my paper copy, and that says the same. "Expires 27/7/21". Does that mean it has expired on the 27th, or that it will expire at the end of the day? Expire to me implies it will, not it has. My notes and paperwork that came with it may well have said, but of course I can't find them, lol.
I’d of thought it would cover you until midnight when it obviously becomes the 28th but don’t take that as gospel.
I just bought my annual migratory license in March this year to save having to work out stuff like this lol.

sutty

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what think too. Not that it matters from a risk point of view, I haven't ever seen a bailiff, in over 50 years of going, but right's right, even if I am trying to cheap out.

Pancho

Reaction score

We have had previous with UU before mate treatment plant right next to Watercrook the club are seeking legal advice as you say if its UU a huge fine is required and maybe a custodial sentence for anyone culpable will make a difference

Ratman

Reaction score
And we know where the slurry will end up 😩
Spoke to a lad who spreads slurry for one of the biggest farms in area. I asked him how the farm would cope due to new guidelines on slurry application ie. Using dribblers and injection. He said they could actually put more slurry than ever on the land with a dribbler due to the coverage not being as visible as the traditional plate spreading method. Yet again the powers that be not thinking things through.

budge

Reaction score
Maybe about time the dairy farming practices were exposed to the general population ? Most people think cows are out in the fields the whole time and just come inside for a couple of hours a day to be milked

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SP8

SP8

Reaction score
We’re you on the beautiful looking caravan site at Sedgwick?
if so that’s one place I’ve always fancied going as it was always advertised with fishing available.
No we were on the Maize farm one it's a camping and caravan club site only taking a few units. I'll have to have a look at the other one, I saw where it was down by the river.

SP8

Andrew B

Reaction score
No we were on the Maize farm one it's a camping and caravan club site only taking a few units. I'll have to have a look at the other one, I saw where it was down by the river.

SP8
Will have to check that out, since it’s those small camping caravan club sites we’re into.

Reactions: SP8

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Any info on whats a good height for EA Mitton stretch and if its even worth bothering over the coming weeks?
Not sure what the best height is for that stretch but with rain now arriving I would have thought the next few weeks would offer a great chance of salmon and seatrout.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Any info on whats a good height for EA Mitton stretch and if its even worth bothering over the coming weeks?
Whatever the height after rain it’s a question of trying to time that magic moment on a falling water and colour imo?

sutty

Reaction score
The reading at Gisburn, from which I take my guide for fishing, is only 0.13m. Though considerably more than it has been, reading less than zero, on that gauge for weeks, it's hardly what I would call a a big lift, capable of giving it a good flush through. If it had been high, much higher, 0.13m might be a reasonable height, though still a little low, but it hasn't been any higher, despite the thunderstorms. I'd be surprised if it had even generated any colour, and I'm almost sure it won't have given any salmon the chance to run up our way.