Ribble 2021

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Oh Fred I’ve followed your reports from when you started and you’ve always made so interesting for me as oppose to just reporting on catches?
I thought I’d misremembered for a minute about that counter at Winkley so I’m glad you confirmed it as there was often some really interesting data such as a run of herling or sea trout well out of season and of course the late running

The Springer project which I followed closely was absolutely fascinating as regards to where they go? I remember an old bloke in Settle telling me the really early ones would often run up as high as the Foss and then would drop back down to Clitheroe and below? That some of those tagged springers ( some very large) would stay rooted all season in one spot regardless of rain, really surprised me.
Martin James someone you’ve reported on in the past at Mitton has a really good “blog” and updates on his own fishing exploits on the Ribble albeit most of it course fishing, his recent catch of big specimen Grayling is some feat imo?
Andrew.
Its correct that in the past, and given a very wet early spring, fresh fish could be landed, and have been, as far up as the Foss, actually in the pool itself in late March and April. Without actual tracking its impossible to be accurate and say that these same fish moved back down the river. The spring trapping did throw up some surprises, one being just how low the river when some fish moved up through the trap. Even down to just ten inches on the gauges. Another, which surprised me when I was told, that a couple of springers held for months in the same lies and nobody knew they were there. We did not want to know from the lads who did the walking and the tracking so that we could not be accused of being given information that would give us a chance at these fish. not that we would. They stayed so long that it was thought that they had regurgitated the tracker and it was lodged in gravel. Come late in the year the fish were on the move again. How many flies had these fish ignored, and how many times had a fly swum over them without them being interested and how many anglers fished without knowing they were there?

wilbert

Reaction score
Andrew.
Its correct that in the past, and given a very wet early spring, fresh fish could be landed, and have been, as far up as the Foss, actually in the pool itself in late March and April. Without actual tracking its impossible to be accurate and say that these same fish moved back down the river. The spring trapping did throw up some surprises, one being just how low the river when some fish moved up through the trap. Even down to just ten inches on the gauges. Another, which surprised me when I was told, that a couple of springers held for months in the same lies and nobody knew they were there. We did not want to know from the lads who did the walking and the tracking so that we could not be accused of being given information that would give us a chance at these fish. not that we would. They stayed so long that it was thought that they had regurgitated the tracker and it was lodged in gravel. Come late in the year the fish were on the move again. How many flies had these fish ignored, and how many times had a fly swum over them without them being interested and how many anglers fished without knowing they were there?
Yes the tracking did throw up some surprises and blew most theories clean out the water. I remember walking a section of river with the tracking gear and came to a pool where I met a familiar face on the other bank. He asked me if there were any fish about as I sneakily turned down the volume on the receiver, I replied no, they have all run further upstream when I knew for a fact that there were 3 fish in the pool he was fishing. I really enjoyed the 3 years helping out on the project but it did reduce my fishing effort considerably. I didn't want to fish through fear of catching a tagged fish and being accused of using the equipment / "inside knowledge" to my advantage. Maybe this year with new water to explore I will try to catch a Ribble springer.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Yes the tracking did throw up some surprises and blew most theories clean out the water. I remember walking a section of river with the tracking gear and came to a pool where I met a familiar face on the other bank. He asked me if there were any fish about as I sneakily turned down the volume on the receiver, I replied no, they have all run further upstream when I knew for a fact that there were 3 fish in the pool he was fishing. I really enjoyed the 3 years helping out on the project but it did reduce my fishing effort considerably. I didn't want to fish through fear of catching a tagged fish and being accused of using the equipment / "inside knowledge" to my advantage. Maybe this year with new water to explore I will try to catch a Ribble springer.
Really fascinating stuff Wilbert. I certainly don’t want to know everything about Salar as I believe the mystery about this fish is all part of the fascination.
Thats incredible that you knew about those tagged fish in the pool the bloke was fishing? Clearly those fish gave no indication that they were even there which is food for thought isn’t it?
Ive suspected that some of these early fish, large ones at that, we’re getting up on nothing as I like to go on that lovely walk on the opposite bank of Edisford Bridge that takes you past the famed and strictly private Minnow Pool and I’ve seen freshly arrived fish in those all too familiar drought conditions that we seem to be stuck with every year.

If anyone has any old T&S mags from the eighties and nineties they may get a shock at reading the reports of sea trout captures and Grilse to the point where ten pound sea trout were mentioned as something quite normal?
whilst we have all but lost the Autumn run, the alternative run that we get in the month of June is really quite something if like me you happen to be over looking the Jumbles and seeing some big fish leaping as they are running hard on good water. Quite where they end up at has puzzled many fishermen as from Stainforth down they literally seem to vanish lol.

Ratman

Reaction score
My late father in law fished long preston deeps for years and caught a good many fresh fish in may and June. He always said given water a lot of fish would run hard up to the deeps and sit in there all summer

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
When the counter was operative at Locks Weir above Settle, it frequently showed big fish going through in March, April and May and I know some were caught above there even quite early in the spring.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
My late father in law fished long preston deeps for years and caught a good many fresh fish in may and June. He always said given water a lot of fish would run hard up to the deeps and sit in there all summer

I remember talking to an old club member on the upper river about 30 years ago (he is long dead now). He used to say how good the fishing in May was. He recounted a tale when 3 anglers were fishing a big pool near Long Preston (below the deeps) in May and all 3 were playing a salmon at the same time ! I'm guessing he was talking 1950s/1960s.

Last edited:

SP8

Reaction score
My old friend who is no longer with us fished the Stainforth syndicate for years and had a caravan there . Some of you may know who I mean. He always said that some of the earliest fish caught could come from up there given the conditions.

SP8

Kev lad

Reaction score
Hello gents im new to the group , and a new member of ribblesdale angling . Iv only been fishing for salmon for two years now , without catching a fish might I add haha ! But I'm slightly obsessed with the sport and love everything about it . Any tips on what flies to use for the ribble and what set ups you use would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks kev

dave_n

Reaction score
Welcome Kev
The Ribble lads are a helpful bunch...apart from the Tykes of course. I'm sure you'll get all the help you need.
I would recommend reading through some of the Ribble threads from the past couple of seasons also

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Kev, plenty of anglers on here who fish your waters so should be able to help. As a starter, I fish everything from small flies on a floating line in lower, warmer water through to large tubes and big sink tips in heavy autumn water and all catch salmon.

Rennie

Reaction score
Welcome Kev
The Ribble lads are a helpful bunch...apart from the Tykes of course. I'm sure you'll get all the help you need.
I would recommend reading through some of the Ribble threads from the past couple of seasons also
Oi, I'm listening you know!.
Seriously Kev, welcome, nows the time for getting fettled ready for a new season.
Only a keyboard away, ask any time.
Pedro.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Welcome Kev, I'm a fellow Ribblesdale AA rod, give us a shout in the season I'll be happy to help. Good start for a Ribble springer would be our Low Moor beat, fish tend to be caught April/May though they have been caught earlier. Hacking Hall (Calderfoot) is a good bet any month of the season, one of the best holding pools on the Ribble. Nappa is always a shot summer onwards though there is a chance earlier if water. A lot of fish come off there later in season. Tight lines

Kev lad

Reaction score
Well thank you very much lads , I cant wait to get fishing and get to know my new club waters , I fished mitton beat quite alot last year and witnessed plenty of big fish jumping and I got to see a fish skipping up the hodder which was brill . Iv been reading through last seasons forum as suggested by you lads and its good reading . Going to order some new flies now . Thanks for making me feel welcome . Much appreciated

Kev lad

Reaction score
Welcome Kev, I'm a fellow Ribblesdale AA rod, give us a shout in the season I'll be happy to help. Good start for a Ribble springer would be our Low Moor beat, fish tend to be caught April/May though they have been caught earlier. Hacking Hall (Calderfoot) is a good bet any month of the season, one of the best holding pools on the Ribble. Nappa is always a shot summer onwards though there is a chance earlier if water. A lot of fish come off there later in season. Tight lines
Thanks very much mate I will look forward to meeting you in the new season

budge

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and the Ribble Kev. Hopefully you can break your duck this season. My go to flies are something orange and gold for high water with a bit of colour and something red and whiskery for low/clear water. You won't go far wrong with Allys shrimp, cascade and red Frances in various sizes.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Kev lad

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and the Ribble Kev. Hopefully you can break your duck this season. My go to flies are something orange and gold for high water with a bit of colour and something red and whiskery for low/clear water. You won't go far wrong with Allys shrimp, cascade and red Frances in various sizes.

Big help mate thankyou

Andrew B

Reaction score
Well thank you very much lads , I cant wait to get fishing and get to know my new club waters , I fished mitton beat quite alot last year and witnessed plenty of big fish jumping and I got to see a fish skipping up the hodder which was brill . Iv been reading through last seasons forum as suggested by you lads and its good reading . Going to order some new flies now . Thanks for making me feel welcome . Much appreciated
Hi Kev welcome to the forum. You’ve joined a good club there for the Ribble you know. That’s so cool about seeing those fish esp those turning left up the Hodder?
One of my best fishing memories was fishing Hodderfoot and Calderfoot all day for nothing and seeing nothing and then at around tea time which coincided with high tide me and my fishing pal started to see some fish way down at the bottom of Calderfoot pool jumping and entering the pool. About 20 minutes later we witnessed the biggest run of salmon I’ve ever seen, certainly over a hundred fish all running hard in the top few foot of water and not one took our flies or spinners despite running past our legs lol.
I’ve often wondered at what point and where would those salmon have stopped for a rest? I can imagine somewhere like Lowmoor being as it is, before a large weir? Being the place where those fishing would of had a real time given the numbers of fresh fish.
Seeing as you have access to Lowmoor, I’d have thought that would be a great place to start.

Andrew B

Reaction score

That’s so cool to hear re Preston Deeps? As there’s a number of small clubs such as Colne anglers who have access to that place but for some reason I’ve always been led to believe it’s a waste of time for the salmon?
When the counter was operative at Locks Weir above Settle, it frequently showed big fish going through in March, April and May and I know some were caught above there even quite early in the spring.
That’s really interesting to know about, seeing as the Ribble has reverted back to a spring and summer run river?
Like Fred mentioned I’ve also seen large spring salmon up around Clitheroe on very little water.
I’ve often wondered about the sea trout as the few times I’ve fished em, they were just running so hard as opposed to shoaling up in the pools?
I used to a follow a blog by a fishery keeper high up the Ribble above the Foss on Manchester anglers water and on every spate he would mention catching Sea Trout which kinds blew what I previously knew about how far Sea Trout ran the river? An old man I knew that owned a caravan at Settle would tell me about fishing for sea trout at night on Settle anglers waters.

Kev lad

Reaction score
Hi Kev welcome to the forum. You’ve joined a good club there for the Ribble you know. That’s so cool about seeing those fish esp those turning left up the Hodder?
One of my best fishing memories was fishing Hodderfoot and Calderfoot all day for nothing and seeing nothing and then at around tea time which coincided with high tide me and my fishing pal started to see some fish way down at the bottom of Calderfoot pool jumping and entering the pool. About 20 minutes later we witnessed the biggest run of salmon I’ve ever seen, certainly over a hundred fish all running hard in the top few foot of water and not one took our flies or spinners despite running past our legs lol.
I’ve often wondered at what point and where would those salmon have stopped for a rest? I can imagine somewhere like Lowmoor being as it is, before a large weir? Being the place where those fishing would of had a real time given the numbers of fresh fish.
Seeing as you have access to Lowmoor, I’d have thought that would be a great place to start.
Absolutely brilliant mate I was also fishing at the Calder foot pool last year and a cracking salmon jumped about 10ft from where I was fishing . My heart nearly jumped out mi chest . I was convinced I was going to catch it haha . Iv only had a sea trout on the lune at Skerton so far but what a bonnie fish, iv always fished trout ponds and the Calder for trout on a single hander , I'm going to get out as much as I can this year and catch me a salmon.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Absolutely brilliant mate I was also fishing at the Calder foot pool last year and a cracking salmon jumped about 10ft from where I was fishing . My heart nearly jumped out mi chest . I was convinced I was going to catch it haha . Iv only had a sea trout on the lune at Skerton so far but what a bonnie fish, iv always fished trout ponds and the Calder for trout on a single hander , I'm going to get out as much as I can this year and catch me a salmon.
Oh well that’s great coming from a trout fishing background where you will at least have a knowledge of river craft, albeit salmon do occupy different places to feeding trout.
If you live nearby I would keep the single hander for nighttime sea trout forays as like you say they’re such a Bonnie fish.

budge

Reaction score
I've only had a season worth of experience on Ribblesdale waters but the salmon didn't make their presence known very often. They were obviously running through Low Moor but didn't appear to be stopping for long. Either that or my theory that they run the Hodder and nip through a tunnel that joins the Ribble above Clitheroe is true

Ratman

Reaction score
That’s so cool to hear re Preston Deeps? As there’s a number of small clubs such as Colne anglers who have access to that place but for some reason I’ve always been led to believe it’s a waste of time for the salmon?
That’s really interesting to know about, seeing as the Ribble has reverted back to a spring and summer run river?
Like Fred mentioned I’ve also seen large spring salmon up around Clitheroe on very little water.
I’ve often wondered about the sea trout as the few times I’ve fished em, they were just running so hard as opposed to shoaling up in the pools?
I used to a follow a blog by a fishery keeper high up the Ribble above the Foss on Manchester anglers water and on every spate he would mention catching Sea Trout which kinds blew what I previously knew about how far Sea Trout ran the river? An old man I knew that owned a caravan at Settle would tell me about fishing for sea trout at night on Settle anglers waters

I used to a follow a blog by a fishery keeper high up the Ribble above the Foss on Manchester anglers water and on every spate he would mention catching Sea Trout which kinds blew what I previously knew about how far Sea Trout ran the river? An old man I knew that owned a caravan at Settle would tell me about fishing for sea trout at night on Settle anglers waters.
My father in law kept quite meticulous diaries of his fishing days, I'll have to dig them out again. He was an expert with shrimp and worm and knew exactly where the fish would lie in those deep slow pools. I remember him saying he once had 9 fish for the day!

Andrew B

Reaction score
My father in law kept quite meticulous diaries of his fishing days, I'll have to dig them out again. He was an expert with shrimp and worm and knew exactly where the fish would lie in those deep slow pools. I remember him saying he once had 9 fish for the day!
That’s probably why a lot didn’t like it on account of it being a bait fishing spot? I’ve never even been down there to see it as it’s just not somewhere you end up with it being below those wetland type fields off the road?
I’m gonna join full membership for Colne anglers this year who have some fishing rights there so I’ll have to go for a recce. 9fish in a day is really something wherever you fish and with what method imo.