Ribble 2021

budge

Reaction score
These are the fish count figures through Waddow in April.
We had a total of 7 fish up and 1 down. The up counts are 3 fish under 4 lbs and 3 fish over 4 lbs.

Out of intertest comparing these numbers up to the end of April last year we had 11 fish over 4lbs then and this year 9 fish over 4 lbs.
Thanks for that Fred not much difference there then especially considering the cold spring this year.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
I've a friend who fishes the Hampshire Avon, and there seem to have been a good few caught already, including this splendid beast - https://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/threads/hampshire-avon-2021.233127/post-1324357

That's very true but they are thin on the ground on the Avon as they are everywhere so far this spring. If you read the threads a lot of local anglers putting the time in for little reward, sound familiar? Let's hope for and improved late spring/early summer run on all rivers but especially the Ribble!

playhappy

Reaction score
DSC_0011.JPG

Spring 2021 - So far so, so-so

Eden x 3 = 15hrs, Ribble - Balderstone x 2, Calderfoot x 1, Low Moor x 5, Mid Ribble x 4 - all my ribble outings have been 2 - 3hr hit it and quit it sessions on ok water. This image is of the only salmon Ive seen. I did see what I thought was a salmon entering a pool last night - turned out it was a duck landing. Hope will do that to a man.

"The Ribble makes certain demands of an angler, and these are amplified for the salmon chaser. You must establish your pain threshold early, because you don’t fish the Ribble, you go fifteen rounds with it. The Ribble is Robert Plant screaming the intro to Immigrant Song; it’s Tina Turner belting out Knutbush City limits; its Guernica in waders. So, if you think you’re going to casually rock up for twenty hours a season and simply catch a salmon, and then bitch about it when you don’t get close, you had better change your definition of disappointment.
If, however, you can suck it up and maybe catch ten in a hundred visits across the season, and can handle living in a sadomasochistic state of being permanently on-call without losing your ****, there are riches awaiting the worthy. Everything becomes both richer and sharper as you exit the world of the counted and measured, and then, and only then, will we say, welcome to the majors. You made it."

Taken from my last book - Hooked On Hope.

Ive heard of 6 ribble springers caught so far this season - which is about right for May 19th - its never easy but its always entertaining.

Playhappy

Last edited:

Auldghillie

Reaction score
View attachment 61310

Eden x 3 = 15hrs, Ribble - Balderstone x 2, Calderfoot x 1, Low Moor x 5, Mid Ribble x 4 - all my ribble outings have been 2 - 3hr hit it and quit it sessions on ok water. This image is of the only salmon Ive seen. I did see what I thought was a salmon entering a pool last night - turned out it was a duck landing. Hope will do that to a man.

"The Ribble makes certain demands of an angler, and these are amplified for the salmon chaser. You must establish your pain threshold early, because you don’t fish the Ribble, you go fifteen rounds with it. The Ribble is Robert Plant screaming the intro to Immigrant Song; it’s Tina Turner belting out Knutbush City limits; its Guernica in waders. So, if you think you’re going to casually rock up for twenty hours a season and simply catch a salmon, and then bitch about it when you don’t get close, you had better change your definition of disappointment.
If, however, you can suck it up and maybe catch ten in a hundred visits across the season, and can handle living in a sadomasochistic state of being permanently on-call without losing your ****, there are riches awaiting the worthy. Everything becomes both richer and sharper as you exit the world of the counted and measured, and then, and only then, will we say, welcome to the majors. You made it."

Ive heard of 6 ribble springers caught so far this season - which is about right for May 19th - its never easy but its always entertaining.

Playhappy
I’ll never find another ewe !!! Frank Ifield

I‘d never admit to liking sheep.

Last edited:

castaway

Reaction score
View attachment 61310

Playhappy
Oh so true.

Andrew B

Reaction score
View attachment 61310

Playhappy
Lol very funny stuff about the Ribble and so true. I’ve fished the Ribble once all day for nothing at Mitton and then witnessed the largest run of salmon I’ve ever seen, yet they all just ploughed on through.
I’ve had one memorable night where I hooked and lost three decent June sea trout in a row and I’ve had a salmon take a metre of line with no hook up and that is my whole experience of the Ribble.
Not an easy river by any stretch.

Rennie

Reaction score
Mmmmm, my limited experiences are there's a lack of fish this season.By now I've normally seen fish and if not had one by now would be expecting one any day imminently- water and river conditions permitting of course.But, I'm a Ribble yoof and know nowt compared to most.
However I do fish hard- very hard and I don't hang about, cover the water and pools fully and put the hours in.
I certainly don't feel its a hard river to fish, its just a river with not many fish and those fish are on a current down turn numbers wise.Find fish and they can be caught!.I've been waiting for the seasonal whispers reaching my shell like's before kicking off seriously, I mean come on Budge hasn't had a dozen yet, St, Andrew's isn't fed up of chrome bright beauties in his lunch break and Fred hasn't had to re fill his fountain pen yet!, Lansflyman is still sleeping at night and not chasing the Silver Prince, so we mere mortals have no effin chance of owt migratory.
My best option at the moment is to take the Autograph book for Playhappys autograph, or get Des to get me some Holywood stars to sign me book!.
See you on the river tomorrow, Pedro.

GILLIELAD

Reaction score
Mmmmm, my limited experiences are there's a lack of fish this season.By now I've normally seen fish and if not had one by now would be expecting one any day imminently- water and river conditions permitting of course.But, I'm a Ribble yoof and know nowt compared to most.
However I do fish hard- very hard and I don't hang about, cover the water and pools fully and put the hours in.
I certainly don't feel its a hard river to fish, its just a river with not many fish and those fish are on a current down turn numbers wise.Find fish and they can be caught!.I've been waiting for the seasonal whispers reaching my shell like's before kicking off seriously, I mean come on Budge hasn't had a dozen yet, St, Andrew's isn't fed up of chrome bright beauties in his lunch break and Fred hasn't had to re fill his fountain pen yet!, Lansflyman is still sleeping at night and not chasing the Silver Prince, so we mere mortals have no effin chance of owt migratory.
My best option at the moment is to take the Autograph book for Playhappys autograph, or get Des to get me some Holywood stars to sign me book!.
As above, barely seen a fin, a bit worrying really, lets hope they’re just late😬😬

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Lol very funny stuff about the Ribble and so true. I’ve fished the Ribble once all day for nothing at Mitton and then witnessed the largest run of salmon I’ve ever seen, yet they all just ploughed on through.
I’ve had one memorable night where I hooked and lost three decent June sea trout in a row and I’ve had a salmon take a metre of line with no hook up and that is my whole experience of the Ribble.
Not an easy river by any stretch.
"Not an easy river to fish" This brought some memories back, and that same statement was uttered to me one evening over a glass or two of Glenmorangie in a hotel up in the Highlands by no other than the great angler Hugh Falkus .

Its way back in the 80's and we were discussing various rivers and he followed this up by stating this " If you can catch salmon from the Ribble you can catch them anywhere" Even back in those day you had to work hard for them and put in the time, but it was certainly easier than what it is now and we certainly caught more. Its like Rennie says, its not easy but perseverance and experience pays off in the end.
I'm hoping to have a few cast down my favourite pools later as the spring turns into summer and then the runs of autumn. That is providing my old legs can manage the river banks, last year took a hell of a lot out of my health, but I hope to see many of you on the banks or at other social events providing we don't face any further restrictions.
Tight lines

budge

Reaction score
Nothing to report from me, another blank 5 hours yesterday with only a single splash seen on perfect water. My 3 fly pattern selection is expanding rapidly now as the confidence i gained last season slowly ebbs away. Even the chub are evading me, my tally is 2 trout, one chub and a 4 ounce dace. I sat watching expectantly after high tide hoping to see a fin coming into the tail of one of the big pools - nothing !
Still plenty time for things to happen, we couldnt fish till mid May last year.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

sutty

Reaction score
I went yesterday, and my brother in law and I saw nothing. With the lack of salmon being reported, I barely tried, but my brother in law did. I went with the intention of getting some dry fly in for trout and grayling, but there was no rise. On arrival there was one fish, a consistent rise, but I didn't rush, expecting it to remain. By the time I was ready, that too had stopped. Never saw another rise the whole day, not even the small flirters that are often around. Had one run through for salmon, but nothing. In the absence of salmon to go for, I was looking forward to a day of dry fly, but nothing to go at. Water looked good, not too windy, quite warm, but barely a fish to be seen.

Disappointing, but still a fun day, as always. Mostly I just sat around, talked to the dog, watched nature, including squirrels and stoats, running about on the bank. Ate my lunch, had many cups of tea, and basically took it easy. Both my brother in law and I saw something we had never seen before, whilst we were drinking a cup of tea. Three squirrels bouncing around in the trees, fighting, or who knows what, very high up, in the tops of tall trees. Next, one fell out, and landed with a thud. Right from the top, and straight down, without hitting a branch on the way down. Didn't see it move for a while, and then it jumped up, and bounded back up the tree to join back in. Didn't expect a mistake like that from a squirrel, but didn't seem to do it any harm. I guess it pays to be small sometimes.

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Pete
I’ve been out plenty of times so far on the Ribble & 1 trip to the Eden in search of a Spring salmon, as per usual I haven’t had any😩
Only managed 2 trout for my effort…
A long way to go yet.
After this month my main target will be sea trout, if the river settles down…

Andrew B

Reaction score
"Not an easy river to fish" This brought some memories back, and that same statement was uttered to me one evening over a glass or two of Glenmorangie in a hotel up in the Highlands by no other than the great angler Hugh Falkus .

Its way back in the 80's and we were discussing various rivers and he followed this up by stating this " If you can catch salmon from the Ribble you can catch them anywhere" Even back in those day you had to work hard for them and put in the time, but it was certainly easier than what it is now and we certainly caught more. Its like Rennie says, its not easy but perseverance and experience pays off in the end.
I'm hoping to have a few cast down my favourite pools later as the spring turns into summer and then the runs of autumn. That is providing my old legs can manage the river banks, last year took a hell of a lot out of my health, but I hope to see many of you on the banks or at other social events providing we don't face any further restrictions.
Tight lines
Wow Fred, for all the folk that found Falkus abrasive, there’s no doubt he knew about fishing for Salmon and Sea Trout. So if anything I’ll take that statement all day in the knowledge that it’s not just me that’s found the Ribble difficult even when there was fish in front of me.
Being an avid reader of your reports over the years, I’m hoping your next report might be a little more positive Fred.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Pete
I’ve been out plenty of times so far on the Ribble & 1 trip to the Eden in search of a Spring salmon, as per usual I haven’t had any😩
Only managed 2 trout for my effort…
A long way to go yet.
After this month my main target will be sea trout, if the river settles down…

Good man. And just remember back in 2005 of those huge record fly caught sea trout of which Fred has always maintained that they are an underfished resource, albeit very precious but do run the Ribble in secret from May/June.

nelly111s

Reaction score
Having lived on or near the Ribble for most of my life, I've never fished for sea trout. Roughly where on the river is a decent place to fish for them in the evening / night?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Having lived on or near the Ribble for most of my life, I've never fished for sea trout. Roughly where on the river is a decent place to fish for them in the evening / night?
I’ve got T&S reports from back in the 90s where sea trout catches were to frequent to mention but I’m still blown away by how many large fish were reported then, often around Calderfoot such as the poor gentleman who had a heart attack and was found with two large sea trout. Another place that was always mentioned was Brungerly Park where bubble n fly was used. As ever though without settled summer conditions it makes it difficult to find em.
I’ve no idea past Brungerly but Sea Trout often like a nice pool on a bend, with some depth and tree cover on one side, shallowing up to a nice long tail/glide. Find a pool like that on any sea trout river and you’ll not be to far off imo?

At the moment we’ve got more bank high, muddy spates and it’s not due to stop till after Saturday I believe?

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
I’ve got T&S reports from back in the 90s where sea trout catches were to frequent to mention but I’m still blown away by how many large fish were reported then, often around Calderfoot such as the poor gentleman who had a heart attack and was found with two large sea trout. Another place that was always mentioned was Brungerly Park where bubble n fly was used. As ever though without settled summer conditions it makes it difficult to find em.
I’ve no idea past Brungerly but Sea Trout often like a nice pool on a bend, with some depth and tree cover on one side, shallowing up to a nice long tail/glide. Find a pool like that on any sea trout river and you’ll not be to far off imo?

At the moment we’ve got more bank high, muddy spates and it’s not due to stop till after Saturday I believe?
A few questions to reply to. First I'll begin with my T&S river reports. Like Andrew I always kept my copies of the magazine going all the way back to the first in 1956. As a young lad and just getting going on my long angling journey, full of vigour and excitement as every month it was bought from our local newsagents to read from cover to cover. Reading the local river reports, which, even to this day is still one of the first a lot of anglers turn to. Back then little did I realise that one day I would be writing those reports for our own Ribble & Hodder, and it could have also been the Lune if Sandy Leventon the then editor had persuaded me. Seventeen years now I have banged these keys, a long time, but I've enjoyed it and never missed a month.
I know at times some could be controversial but that's what writing is all about but they could become too boring if not. But I must admit that its becoming more difficult to keep positive and make reporting interesting. Many are the times I read the reports from the good Scottish rivers where salmon still run in decent numbers and where the various beats seek publicity for commercial reasons, making reporting and news gathering so much easier, I go green with envy. but here on the Ribble we still have by some with a tell them nowt mentality. In my opinion this is not they way I work or think. I prefer to share and encourage those who are just coming into our game.

I digress a bit, back to what I was saying. Its becoming more difficult due to the decreasing runs of fish and less anglers out fishing, at times my reports seem to be more weather news related rather than fish catches. But Andrew and others, I always try to be positive and make them interesting to read. Here is another "But" when you read the latest information from the Ribble Trust on their 2020 electro fishing surveys, I think it should by now be on their Web site, it becomes more difficult to retain a positive attitude. Have a look and be ready for a shock. Keep on reading and keep me in a job and all for my salary of £23 per month. 😀

Now for the sea trout question. Even these fish are declining and less anglers out, especially at night. The last few seasons due to the conditions not being favourable a lot of the time have certainly not helped the catches. Less you fish less you feel like doing.
The middle reaches of the Ribble are the best places taken all round. From Calder foot upstream to about Gisburn, but most of the waters are privately owned. A few sea trout do migrate further upstream but the further up you go less fish there are. In May and June, Edisford Hall beat can be good and tickets may be available from the river keeper. Many nights I have had great sport casting a Connemara black and a Pendle Witch through the Clay Hole and the tail of the Minnow Wall in the dark and hearing the clock on Mitton church in the distance hauntingly striking midnight.
I know that Calder foot has been mentioned, a great pool fished from the left hand bank and controlled by Ribblesdale A,A. not too good from the opposite bank. some big fish always from here, and the angler who sadly was found dead on the bank late one night after his wife contacted a friend to go and look for him was a nice chap called Stephen Carlisle from Sabden. Very sad and I knew him well.
Brungerley has been mentioned as well. Most of this is controlled by Ribblesdale A.A. The long deep canal like stretch from Waddow weir up to Brungerley bridge always holds fish, but these days its rare to see it being fished. Once it was fished by two elderly members from off the long walled bank on the right hand bank. The bubble and fly was their choice and many fish they landed every year in the dark. They used to account for up to sixty fish per season when the conditions favoured night fishing. Now this method is no longer used as far as I know. Some good pools further up between West Braford and Denholme above Sawley. This I would say is the prime sea trout area where fish can be caught up to the end of the season when they have left the lower beats. The Hodder is a great sea trout river more so than the Ribble, but again the recognised pools are controlled by private clubs, mainly Whitewell Anglers
I hope this is enough to help anybody just thinking about sea trout fishing, I've only scratched the surface, and more to follow if anybody is interested. Not much else to do on a very wet and windy morning with a big 2M river running, only bang some keys, and keep hoping the fish will run on this water.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
The Hodder always used to be a more noted seatrout river than the Ribble but I don't know how it is faring these days ? It used to produce a lot of seatrout from the junction with the Ribble right up to Newton and beyond.

Last edited:

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Good man. And just remember back in 2005 of those huge record fly caught sea trout of which Fred has always maintained that they are an underfished resource, albeit very precious but do run the Ribble in secret from May/June.
Andrew.
Dug this out of my records, certainly worth reading, just as we are coming into our sea trout night fishing season.

Trout & Salmon. Ribble & Hodder Report. August Issue 2005.

I’m beginning
this month’s report with an angling achievement to surpass anything I have ever heard of before on the Ribble or any other river for that matter and one to make all serious sea trout anglers turn green with envy. Five magnificent double figured sea trout of 21 lbs, 18lbs two at 12 lbs and one of 10lbs were caught on fly in late June from the Lower Ribble, by ( name left out) fishing on dusk with a single handed rod, and all on single hooked flies he dressed himself. The 21.lb. fish has smashed the British record for a sea trout on fly currently standing at 20lb 12oz taken off the Welsh Dovey. I know that in the past the nets have taken fish up to about 19lbs but for ……. these fish are what angling dreams are made of. The thought of playing and landing these fish into the dark is special in itself, I’m sure he will be pinching himself to believe it, absolutely brilliant for him. Think about this, these fish are not your fat, overfed, stocked rainbows out of a stew pond, but massive wild and fit fresh fish, straight from the sea, carrying sea lice, also consider what they have done to benefit our rivers over the years of their multi spawning`s, laying and fertilising many thousands of eggs. What thoughts now of the Ribble as a big sea trout river? As long as I continue writing my reports I very much doubt if one will ever surpass this. I ask myself what would that past master of sea trout fishing the late, great, Hugh Falkus make of it all? After this the remainder of my report seems very mundane.

Switch01

Reaction score
Andrew.
Dug this out of my records, certainly worth reading, just as we are coming into our sea trout night fishing season.

Trout & Salmon. Ribble & Hodder Report. August Issue 2005.

I’m beginning
this month’s report with an angling achievement to surpass anything I have ever heard of before on the Ribble or any other river for that matter and one to make all serious sea trout anglers turn green with envy. Five magnificent double figured sea trout of 21 lbs, 18lbs two at 12 lbs and one of 10lbs were caught on fly in late June from the Lower Ribble, by ( name left out) fishing on dusk with a single handed rod, and all on single hooked flies he dressed himself. The 21.lb. fish has smashed the British record for a sea trout on fly currently standing at 20lb 12oz taken off the Welsh Dovey. I know that in the past the nets have taken fish up to about 19lbs but for ……. these fish are what angling dreams are made of. The thought of playing and landing these fish into the dark is special in itself, I’m sure he will be pinching himself to believe it, absolutely brilliant for him. Think about this, these fish are not your fat, overfed, stocked rainbows out of a stew pond, but massive wild and fit fresh fish, straight from the sea, carrying sea lice, also consider what they have done to benefit our rivers over the years of their multi spawning`s, laying and fertilising many thousands of eggs. What thoughts now of the Ribble as a big sea trout river? As long as I continue writing my reports I very much doubt if one will ever surpass this. I ask myself what would that past master of sea trout fishing the late, great, Hugh Falkus make of it all? After this the remainder of my report seems very mundane.
Those fish make dreams for anglers

nelly111s

Reaction score
@Ribble Rod Thanks for the info - if there is any more I'm keen to learn!
I used to live on Cuerdale Lane when I was growing up and spent many hours on the Ribble, but mainly coarse fishing in the 70's. I suspect this part of the river is what's known as the Lower Ribble? A friend had two large sea trout (10lb) in the 80's from just below the Tickled Trout bridge. I, despite living next to the river was seduced by other reports you mention in T&S and though the 80's concentrated my sea-trout fishing on the Grantown Association water on the Spey, which was productive at the end of May. After many years of either salmon fishing in Scotland or rainbow fishing around Lancashire, I now want (and can afford the time) to rekindle my love affair with night time fly fishing, which despite catching 20lb+ salmon, is still the most exciting form of fishing there is (in my opinion!)

Auldghillie

Reaction score
A few questions to reply to. First I'll begin with my T&S river reports. Like Andrew I always kept my copies of the magazine going all the way back to the first in 1956. As a young lad and just getting going on my long angling journey, full of vigour and excitement as every month it was bought from our local newsagents to read from cover to cover. Reading the local river reports, which, even to this day is still one of the first a lot of anglers turn to. Back then little did I realise that one day I would be writing those reports for our own Ribble & Hodder, and it could have also been the Lune if Sandy Leventon the then editor had persuaded me. Seventeen years now I have banged these keys, a long time, but I've enjoyed it and never missed a month.
I know at times some could be controversial but that's what writing is all about but they could become too boring if not. But I must admit that its becoming more difficult to keep positive and make reporting interesting. Many are the times I read the reports from the good Scottish rivers where salmon still run in decent numbers and where the various beats seek publicity for commercial reasons, making reporting and news gathering so much easier, I go green with envy. but here on the Ribble we still have by some with a tell them nowt mentality. In my opinion this is not they way I work or think. I prefer to share and encourage those who are just coming into our game.

I digress a bit, back to what I was saying. Its becoming more difficult due to the decreasing runs of fish and less anglers out fishing, at times my reports seem to be more weather news related rather than fish catches. But Andrew and others, I always try to be positive and make them interesting to read. Here is another "But" when you read the latest information from the Ribble Trust on their 2020 electro fishing surveys, I think it should by now be on their Web site, it becomes more difficult to retain a positive attitude. Have a look and be ready for a shock. Keep on reading and keep me in a job and all for my salary of £23 per month. 😀

Now for the sea trout question. Even these fish are declining and less anglers out, especially at night. The last few seasons due to the conditions not being favourable a lot of the time have certainly not helped the catches. Less you fish less you feel like doing.
The middle reaches of the Ribble are the best places taken all round. From Calder foot upstream to about Gisburn, but most of the waters are privately owned. A few sea trout do migrate further upstream but the further up you go less fish there are. In May and June, Edisford Hall beat can be good and tickets may be available from the river keeper. Many nights I have had great sport casting a Connemara black and a Pendle Witch through the Clay Hole and the tail of the Minnow Wall in the dark and hearing the clock on Mitton church in the distance hauntingly striking midnight.
I know that Calder foot has been mentioned, a great pool fished from the left hand bank and controlled by Ribblesdale A,A. not too good from the opposite bank. some big fish always from here, and the angler who sadly was found dead on the bank late one night after his wife contacted a friend to go and look for him was a nice chap called Stephen Carlisle from Sabden. Very sad and I knew him well.
Brungerley has been mentioned as well. Most of this is controlled by Ribblesdale A.A. The long deep canal like stretch from Waddow weir up to Brungerley bridge always holds fish, but these days its rare to see it being fished. Once it was fished by two elderly members from off the long walled bank on the right hand bank. The bubble and fly was their choice and many fish they landed every year in the dark. They used to account for up to sixty fish per season when the conditions favoured night fishing. Now this method is no longer used as far as I know. Some good pools further up between West Braford and Denholme above Sawley. This I would say is the prime sea trout area where fish can be caught up to the end of the season when they have left the lower beats. The Hodder is a great sea trout river more so than the Ribble, but again the recognised pools are controlled by private clubs, mainly Whitewell Anglers
I hope this is enough to help anybody just thinking about sea trout fishing, I've only scratched the surface, and more to follow if anybody is interested. Not much else to do on a very wet and windy morning with a big 2M river running, only bang some keys, and keep hoping the fish will run on this water.
Do you still have the mag going back to 1956 please ? I’m looking for some issues between then and 1970 ? Thanks AG

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Do you still have the mag going back to 1956 please ? I’m looking for some issues between then and 1970 ? Thanks AG
Sorry AG I don't, collected them for many years but about 12 months ago thought it time to sort them as they were taking up too much space. They went to an angler from away.
I have started to sort out and dispose of a lot of tackle and fly tying materials, but just keep what I will use.

Richardgw

Reaction score
I’ll never find another ewe !!! Frank Ifield

I‘d never admit to liking sheep.
Auldghille your memory is failing. But as the songs where from more than half a century ago so excuses are allowed.

I’ll never find another you was by the Seekers - 1964. The Frank Ifield song was 'I remember you' (1962): most appropriate for when we last saw salmon.