Ribble 2020

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Hi All
Been down for an hour this afternoon the river was at about 3 feet and coloured
I was spinning but not really expecting much in this location the water was just too fast
Tomorrow should be OK if we get no more rain
Best of luck tight lines
Natt

Wow Chocolate! Thanks for posting, was considering going for last hr but you've saved me the trip!

budge

Reaction score
Not looking promising for tomorrow either, on the rise again everywhere

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

natthargreaves

Reaction score
yea in Ribchester it really needs to be 2ft at most and by the look of things more rain overnight so it may be too high for the weekend too

Rennie

Reaction score
Was out all day yesterday, starting to fall in just nicely for us lads "oop top", it siled it down just as I hit the A59 very early yesterday morning, so heavy I sat in the car for 3/4's of a hour until it stopped (wuss!), slightly over 2ft and rain forecast all day.Fantastically I picked the right weather forecast to pay attention to and no further rain was forthcoming.Fished hard on an only slightly too high river but perfectly fishable!, as I thought Ribble didn't drop much but by 1pm lifted and dirtied again slightly as that early morning deluge hit.
Fished up and back down to the car again.One other Angler reported a pull on the dangle, but I saw nowt at all.
Now there's a pool that looks 'triffick', but never produces for most folk, for me it's been a very high water pool 3ft+, so I gave it a reet good pasting on the way back.
Like an eejit I'd picked the wrong line in a F/S1 distance cut head to a green poly.The wind was supposed to be slight and favourable, yeah er right- picked that bit of the weather forecast wrong then!.Suffice to say it proved a handful at times, but some folk never learn do I!
Pasting the pool in fine stylee and all of a sudden a huge heave at the business end, reel clattered nicely I lifted, bump, bump, bump,and off.Borrocks!, checked the business end, lethally sharp Guideline size 10 terrible was fine, everything cool, so calm down and go again.Couple of casts later could feel something chewing on the flee and nipping the tail as I FO8'd back, all was still well, so went again and once a more big pull, reel sang, lifted bump bump, and running nicely from the reel, then fell off!!.Language was predictable and terrible!.
That was it for the session!, a fish did breach at last light right at the side of me in the last pool I fished, within touching distance, raced back to the pool head and covered it but to no avail!
One other Angler had a fish and pulled another, but saw nowt.
Unsure if they were runners or residents, I fished for both- pasting any known lays with a quicker sinking presentation and fishing up in the water for runners. Pretty sure I found a few fish that had paused for a breather, the other fish touched came from known lays!
Ribble was starting to drop in nicely again, it was a clear sky and getting colder, but rain was forecast in the latter half of the night and all day today, so god knows what will actually happen as I think the forecasters draw lots for what they'll actually think is going to happen.
Still, if you don't go, you'll never know!.Tight lines Ribble heads, Pedro.

sutty

Reaction score
We went on Thursday. Only day we could go, but knew it was a waste of time. Was way too deep for the whole time we were there, at around 1m on the gauge at Gisburn. Brother in law tried spinning, and I tried a big fly, but that spend most of its time down the edge, due to the fast flow. I thought maybe I might get one just coming up under the bank, but unsurprisingly nothing happened.

I did get three small jobs done, such as fixing the gate, which had let all the cows through a few weeks ago. I called the farmer to let him know, and his repair was to tie it up with string, such that every time you go through it you have to untie and then retie a knot! Seems to be the most common form of repair for all the gates on the farm. I fixed it properly, to realign the bolt for convenience.

Probably get an outing on Monday, but will keep a close eye on the levels and weather conditions through tomorrow and overnight Sunday, because there's no other jobs to do, so would be properly pointless in going. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it, even without fishing, but if another day would be better, we probably have some flexibility this coming week.

Last edited:

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Ribble at Ribchester tonight will be ok for the morning
Tight lines Natt

Attachments

• 20201011_165425.jpg
    20201011_165425.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 102
  • 20201011_165422.jpg
    20201011_165422.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 109

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Ribble at Ribchester tonight will be ok for the morning
Tight lines Natt

Ahhh the Green looking upto the Tush, had some belters out of the Tush in seasons gone by, great holding pool. Run fishes well. Plenty been caught well up this last week, Settle, Arnford, Long Preston, Halton and Paythorn (not in any order) some anglers having 10 plus in the last week. Just a shame they have all been spring/summer fish, no tide fresh autumn fish reported iv heard of....

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Ahhh the Green looking upto the Tush, had some belters out of the Tush in seasons gone by, great holding pool. Run fishes well. Plenty been caught well up this last week, Settle, Arnford, Long Preston, Halton and Paythorn (not in any order) some anglers having 10 plus in the last week. Just a shame they have all been spring/summer fish, no tide fresh autumn fish reported iv heard of....
Hi Saint Andrews
Yes the tush pool in Ribchester is a good holding pool but as you know there has been little or no chance to fish this beat over the last week due to the rain and water levels
But today its just rite with the hi tide at 07 45 and the water running at 0.5m but unfortunately I can't get out because I am dog sitting for my daughter ?
But would suggest any local rods give it a whirl there should be fish about
Hope I get the chance later in the week tight lines
Natt

Attachments

• 20201012_100122.jpg
    20201012_100122.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20201012-100437_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201012-100437_Chrome.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20201012-100526_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201012-100526_Samsung Internet.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 70

long Preston

Reaction score
Here are the counter numbers of fish through Waddow in September

We had 289 fish counted up and 52 down.

92 fish under 4 lbs and 145 over 4lbs. The total counts so far are showing more bigger fish than the previous seasons but less smaller fish.
thanks Fred-not setting the world on fire is it

That_Bloody_dog!

Reaction score
I've had an offer of joining ribblesdale angling association, will there water be considerably better than PAAS? It's considerably dearer!

wilbert

Reaction score
I've had an offer of joining ribblesdale angling association, will there water be considerably better than PAAS? It's considerably dearer!

Its a very well run club with considerably less members than PASS with great water on the Ribble and Hodder plus very good rod exchanges with clubs on the upper Ribble and Lune. I was a member for 15 years and would still be in if I could afford multiple club memberships for the few days I actually get time to fish whilst funding my other hobbies, house, car and kids etc.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Its a very well run club with considerably less members than PASS with great water on the Ribble and Hodder plus very good rod exchanges with clubs on the upper Ribble and Lune. I was a member for 15 years and would still be in if I could afford multiple club memberships for the few days I actually get time to fish whilst funding my other hobbies, house, car and kids etc.

I'm a member and back up 100% what Wilbert says, superbly run club with some great water. Gorgeous fly water at Low Moor Clitheroe, good place for chance of elusive Ribble Springer. Also has Calderfoot arguably one of if not the best holding pool on the Ribble. It's like any where else you need conditions but RAA waters IMO cater for most conditions and disciplines whether that by fly only on a falling river, spinning a big river or fishing prawn in low water. Some beats fly only, some limited methods and some any method. Up until last year RAA was my only Ribble club and had been for last 12 years, that was only because I felt there was no need for other beats as the club provided everything I wanted.

budge

Reaction score
I joined Ribblesdale this season, as stated a very well run club with a great bunch of lads. I am also a member of 2 other clubs including PAAS. It's a bit of a financial hit the first year but not too bad after that.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments lads, we pride ourselves on being one of most friendly clubs in the river. We are there to help our members, not only to catch fish, but to help them enjoy all we have to offer. I'm proud of all of our members, as said a great set of lads all there to help with advice and experience.
Unfortunately this year,due to the virus some of our social evenings like the dinner and presentation evenings, and the A G M have had to be postponed.
Welcome to Ribblesdale A A.

castaway

Reaction score
Had a few hours on lower river up till dark, a lovely autumn afternoon, mild, no wind and river good but not a fish to be seen. Roll on spring. ?

budge

Reaction score
Had a few hours on lower river up till dark, a lovely autumn afternoon, mild, no wind and river good but not a fish to be seen. Roll on spring.
Ditto ! River pretty lifeless, I did see one fish late on but never had a sniff I hoped a few might come through after the big tide today but didn't look like it.

Karl-K

Reaction score
Had my second trip of the year to the Ribble, I would have expected the pools I was fishing to be bouncing with fish, but either they were sulking with their heads down or just not there. I did manage to connect with 2 in the last 20mins of daylight whilst stripping a fairly large sunray, but alas they didn’t stick. But great to be out on a beautiful autumn afternoon.

FLYSPY

Reaction score
I had the best mornings fishing I’ve had for a longtime on the ribble yesterday. Nothing really to shout about but did manage a small sea trout, a beautifully marked wild brown trout about 3lbs (felt like a salmon take) and a salmon of around 7lbs. All were caught on a Sunray fished below the surface. Had numerous other plucks and pulls which didn’t stick. Will try again today!

FLYSPY

Reaction score
Just reported a pollution incident on Pendleton brook just below edisford. Lost of small fish dead. Will post pictures later. Makes my blood boil that stuff like this still goes on