Ribble 2020

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
you don't do things by halves do you? - need anyone to walk the dog Fred?-take care with the hip, the op was a miracle for my Dad
Thanks Steve.
Your right, if you do something do it to your best ability, I'm slowly getting there but its been the roughest year I have had, but spring is just round the corner. Thanks for your offer of dog walking, but your too far away. Our good friends up at Giggleswick Bob Garnett and his wife Barbara had her for five days, but she is back home, as my wife Susan is coping well enough. It will be at least another week before I'm mobile enough to take her out so my wife has the job in hand, not to look forward to when its wet and dark in the early mornings.

Thanks lads for your best wishes, hope to back next season rod in hand and waving it about somewhere on the Ribble.

doubletaper

Reaction score
I've fished this club for thirty years and also I am one of the directors, so can answer all your questions. My e-mails are not working so I need help in having it repaired. The lad I use, and have done for years, is locked down in France until the middle of this month. If anybody out there knows a good reliable IT chap who could have a look at it for me I would be very grateful.

I'm not up to doing too much as present having just come through two eye operations and then a new hip fit last week, so I'm not following everything at present. Michael contact me via phone if you wish and I will provide the info you require. 01200 423314
Fred.
Get well soon Fred, hope you're up and about sooner rather than later (y) My mate was back on the Golf Course in a couple of months after his new hip.

Smoggy

Reaction score
I've fished this club for thirty years and also I am one of the directors, so can answer all your questions. My e-mails are not working so I need help in having it repaired. The lad I use, and have done for years, is locked down in France until the middle of this month. If anybody out there knows a good reliable IT chap who could have a look at it for me I would be very grateful.

I'm not up to doing too much as present having just come through two eye operations and then a new hip fit last week, so I'm not following everything at present. Michael contact me via phone if you wish and I will provide the info you require. 01200 423314
Fred.

I had my new hip fitted four years ago and it has been been a game changer for the good!
One thing I will say is, do all the physio and more. Everyone I have met who has suffered post joint replacement surgery problems are those that have not done the physio, they seem to think that the new replacement is the cure, it is only half the story. It is major surgery and physio is required!

gaula

Reaction score
I had my new hip fitted four years ago and it has been been a game changer for the good!
One thing I will say is, do all the physio and more. Everyone I have met who has suffered post joint replacement surgery problems are those that have not done the physio, they seem to think that the new replacement is the cure, it is only half the story. It is major surgery and physio is required!
I couldn't, agree more, I had my right hip replaced 4 years ago, I carried out all
the physio to the letter, and have never looked back. I have been pain free ever
since the op.
I am now waiting to have the other one done.

Rennie

Reaction score
Could well be bob on tomorrow, certainly middle river and upstream and will be certainly on Tues right enough.
Think of me kindly while your all enjoying the water and I'm stuck at work untill Weds. evening. Mindst you come Thurs/Fri., wheyyyyy heyyyyy!
Pedro.

Ferox01

Reaction score
I’m new to fishing the Ribble . Can anyone tell me at What height it fishes well for salmon and what Guage do you use?

Rennie

Reaction score
That will all vary from beat to beat Ferox01 and more to the point how low down or high up the river ones fishing and also to a lesser extent the time of year too.
If you google round you should find various gauging stations on the Ribble to aid flooding forecasts, these usually update twice a day and picking the one above and below where you fish will let you see the trending height.
Off my head, think it’s gov.com flooding, buts it’s easily findable
Pedro

budge

Reaction score
As stated by Pedro a lot depends on where you are fishing and what method. Riverlevels UK gives measurements down the catchment including Hodder and Calder. What it doesn't tell you is what the colour is like which is probably more important on lower river. It can be fishable with over 2 foot down bottom if it is relatively clean but it can still be carrying sediment at less than a foot up depending on which river the water is coming from. It's a steep learning curve which still catches me out occasionally.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Ferox01

Reaction score
It’s the heights on the gisburn and ribchester Gauges that I’m interested in
I’ll have to take my chances on coloured water as I come from Cheshire

Rennie

Reaction score
I travel over from Leeds and I rely on the Gisburn gauge, that and the RFCA cameras. It’s also worth while following the guages up stream of gisburn as at times Ribble can move quickly and catch you out!
Pedro.

sutty

Reaction score
It can, for sure, I've literally been caught out whilst wading. Damn, has the water come up, woah, it really has, and still is, better get out, mmmh, this is not as easy as I'd hoped, oh, this is slightly worrying, phew getting to shallower water, that's better, yay I'm out. :ROFLMAO: Next thing, have a cup of tea, and watch as it turns brown, and rises to a raging torrent.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I’m new to fishing the Ribble . Can anyone tell me at What height it fishes well for salmon and what Guage do you use?

Depends on quite a few factors - what part of the river, how clean is the water, how much water has there been in recent weeks.

Parts of the upper river can fish with an extra 3 feet + in if the water is not too coloured and you fish calmer aeas.

The lower river (and faster flowing pools in the middle and upper river) can fish well in quite low water.

A medium water means that the whole river could give a good chance of a fish.

The only real rule is that fish have to be present and the water has to be fishable.

salmosalar74

Reaction score
Really enjoyed fishing this week - mainly in the evenings. Had a nice sesssion on the Hodder on monday evening fishing 8 - 10. Managed 3 sea trout between 1 - 2lb and lost another larger fish. Tuesday evening i got lucky and landed a nice salmon on the fly. Wednesday evening i helped a mate land a nice fish. So great to see a few fish getting caught and be able to have a decent chance. Heres a photo of my fish on Tuesday.
View attachment 47141
Seen you in T&S with this one, well done!

noeyedeer

Reaction score
No need to check the river levels website anymore to check if it’s high, just take a look (or a sniff) at your nearest treatment plant and they’ll be pumping all kinds of cr4p out!!

This is Howick Cross 16:21 today :

Heaven knows what this will do to the migratories willingness to run......

budge

Reaction score
No need to check the river levels website anymore to check if it’s high, just take a look (or a sniff) at your nearest treatment plant and they’ll be pumping all kinds of cr4p out!!

Some huge steps forward made in the late eighties, early nineties as far as cleaning up our rivers but it seems we've gone into reverse now

Ribble Rod

Reaction score

Do we know if this was reported to the E A it's vital that when any pollution incidents are spotted on any of our watercourse they are reported immediately on the emergency number 0800 80 70 60 you will be asked to provide details at to where the incident is and if there are any signs of dead fish or wildlife. A tip here, unless we have dead fish reported it's unlikely that the E A will respond. Long gone are the good old days when they did respond. It's up to us anglers to protect our valuable rivers and assets, if we don't then know body else will.
Something as bad as this looks could have resulted in a significant fish kill, we can't, and shouldn't be prepared just to moan about pollution we have to act against it, if not there is no future for our rivers. We have to report every incident big or small and protect the environment.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Do we know if this was reported to the E A it's vital that when any pollution incidents are spotted on any of our watercourse they are reported immediately on the emergency number 0800 80 70 60 you will be asked to provide details at to where the incident is and if there are any signs of dead fish or wildlife. A tip here, unless we have dead fish reported it's unlikely that the E A will respond. Long gone are the good old days when they did respond. It's up to us anglers to protect our valuable rivers and assets, if we don't then know body else will.
Something as bad as this looks could have resulted in a significant fish kill, we can't, and shouldn't be prepared just to moan about pollution we have to act against it, if not there is no future for our rivers. We have to report every incident big or small and protect the environment.

Yes, it's not my photo but the chap who took it has confirmed he's reported it to the EA

castaway

Reaction score

anyone any idea what it is being pumped out?
I thought things like this were ancient history.
I suppose they will tell us its harmless..

budge

Reaction score
I suppose they will tell us its harmless..
Untreated waste water by the looks of it

noeyedeer

Reaction score
I suppose they will tell us its harmless.

I grew up on the Tyne in the '70s when they used to say, if you fell in you'd die of poisoning before you drowned.
Look at it now, much cleaner and thanks to the response to Kielder, a decent Salmon run.

No doubt the Ribble is also much cleaner than then, but it seems all our rivers have old agreements for all & sundry to add or extract in certain conditions. Most of those don't seem to be very well monitored and there's plenty of online evidence of rules being broken.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Hi All
Been down for an hour this afternoon the river was at about 3 feet and coloured
I was spinning but not really expecting much in this location the water was just too fast
Tomorrow should be OK if we get no more rain
Best of luck tight lines
Natt

Attachments

• 20201009_144450.jpg
    20201009_144450.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 81
  • 20201009_144541.jpg
    20201009_144541.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 78