Ribble 2020

budge

Reaction score
Hi all
Had a bit of a strange evening I fished well below Ribchester on big ribble not enough flow for the fly so spinning was the method that suited
After fishing the ribble for over 40 years I had never caught a pike but this evening I had 4 all perfect fish 3 of about 1lb and one of about 4lb also had the biggest chub I have ever caught at about 6 lb non of the fish were weighed so could be a little smaller or bigger
I also hooked into a very big fish I didn't see it but played it for 10 minutes and it was very powerful run after run great scrap and then gone I was gutted but thats fishing. The biggest fish I have ever had off the ribble was 22 lb and this may not have been that big but I would say well into double figures
So really enjoyed my few hours on the water
Tight lines Natt
Heard of a few small pike caught accidentally on lower river this past couple of years.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
There used to be quite a few pike in the slower, deeper sections of the upper Ribble, some well over 20 lbs.

I heard of quite a few decent pike being caught on the lower river as well in years gone by, not sure what the current population is.

Smaller pike are normally ready takers of spinners and large flies.

budge

Reaction score
Just to confirm what I've said before, if you put in some effort at the right time the fish are there to be caught. Had this one on fly on a very low water.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Good evening all
Just back off the water on a beat well below Dinkley
The water was about 18in and reasonable for the fly
I had a little Brownie on my first cast then nothing for the next hour then at about 6 30 I hooked into this fine fish
Taken on a size 10 allys shrimp a great scrap for about 20 min a quick pic then back in the river bo problem
Tight lines Natt
20200925_213424.jpg

I put the fish at about 18lb

budge

Reaction score
Nice 1 Natt was going myself but thought there might still be a bit too much colour. Hopefully one awaiting me tomorrow

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Very nice Natt, looks chunk of a fish, well done. Shows there are fish to be caught if you put time in. Iv only fished a total of 25 hours this year but hope to increase that the next week iv got off work.
Cheers St Andrews
It was a good fish I estimate 18 could have been bigger though a very deep and thick girth.I would love for it to have been a 20 its only 30 years since my last 1

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Cheers St Andrews
It was a good fish I estimate 18 could have been bigger though a very deep and thick girth.I would love for it to have been a 20 its only 30 years since my last 1

The exact size does not matter too much IMHO, it is a lump of a fish that gave you a good fight and made your day !

budge

Reaction score
All my biggest salmon are estimates ! :)
And mine although I do measure the length of big fish. My wife bought me a set of scales last year after catching my two biggest salmon but I've only remembered to use them a couple of times since. They end up left in the car. Might treat myself to a weigh net for next season.

Rennie

Reaction score
Its a fish!, I'd be deliriously happy with it, all I can say is very very well done to you all.I think you're on a different river to me!.Honestly its like the Salmon equivalent of the Gobi desert further up river, literally I've seen no more than 8 fish all year, (thats from May to the present time!) its soul destroying and quite depressing.
A pull is something that at the moment I'm still in the dreaming stage about, I did first light to last light session's week ago Fri. and last Tues., I'm putting in hours, effort and miles all to no avail what so ever (ok had a Sea Trout Tues.) agreed conditions could've been better, but they are what one makes of them!
In past years I'd have been rubbing my hands at conditions like those on my last two trips, I'd have been expecting good days both trips over.
I'll be out again prob tomorrow all day, see if there's a change but I'm not holding to hope!.
I'm coming to terms this season will be a "nil pointer"!
Pedro- still no fish!.

budge

Reaction score
Its a fish!, I'd be deliriously happy with it, all I can say is very very well done to you all.I think you're on a different river to me!.Honestly its like the Salmon equivalent of the Gobi desert further up river, literally I've seen no more than 8 fish all year, (thats from May to the present time!) its soul destroying and quite depressing.
A pull is something that at the moment I'm still in the dreaming stage about, I did first light to last light session's week ago Fri. and last Tues., I'm putting in hours, effort and miles all to no avail what so ever (ok had a Sea Trout Tues.) agreed conditions could've been better, but they are what one makes of them!
In past years I'd have been rubbing my hands at conditions like those on my last two trips, I'd have been expecting good days both trips over.
I'll be out again prob tomorrow all day, see if there's a change but I'm not holding to hope!.
I'm coming to terms this season will be a "nil pointer"!
Pedro- still no fish!.
Keep plugging away Pedro they've got to turn up eventually. Bit of a strange one this year compared to last. Last year I was frustrated fishing lower river when all the fish were being caught higher up. This year I joined a club with fishing up above the Calder to give me more options but I've hardly fished up there. Not sure where they are hiding once above Hodder foot ? Unless they have all gone up the Hodder ?

That_Bloody_dog!

Reaction score
Sorry to jump in, I'm new to the salmon scene and the Ribble in general. What would be classed as the big Ribble? I'm fishing around Ribchester at the moment, no salmon yet but a few small trout to keep me going :)

sutty

Reaction score
Had another two full man days on Sunday, when my brother in law and I tried again. Not so much as a pull between us. Yet again I bailed on salmon towards the end, and switched to dry fly, with the same outcome as last time. A smallish grayling, which was nice, because I really like dry fly, but it's no salmon, that's for sure!

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Had another two full man days on Sunday, when my brother in law and I tried again. Not so much as a pull between us. Yet again I bailed on salmon towards the end, and switched to dry fly, with the same outcome as last time. A smallish grayling, which was nice, because I really like dry fly, but it's no salmon, that's for sure!
Hi Sutty
I have had two over the weekend both coloured and returned
I normally fish yellow and red combos at this time of year cascades size12 and the like however I tried my normal routine for a few hours and not even a sniff so I changed tac and went bigger just an orange shrimp pattern fished on a slow intermediate line square across and quite quick and on the same pool as before
I had the fish within an hour of changing tac
So maybe the water isn't cold enough yet for the deeper colours (red yellow purple)
Maybe worth a shot mate
Regs Natt

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Sorry to jump in, I'm new to the salmon scene and the Ribble in general. What would be classed as the big Ribble? I'm fishing around Ribchester at the moment, no salmon yet but a few small trout to keep me going :)
Hi That bloody dog
There are fish about on big ribble so you just have to put the time in mate pm me if you fancy a day out
Natt

sutty

Reaction score
Hi Sutty
I have had two over the weekend both coloured and returned
I normally fish yellow and red combos at this time of year cascades size12 and the like however I tried my normal routine for a few hours and not even a sniff so I changed tac and went bigger just an orange shrimp pattern fished on a slow intermediate line square across and quite quick and on the same pool as before
I had the fish within an hour of changing tac
So maybe the water isn't cold enough yet for the deeper colours (red yellow purple)
Maybe worth a shot mate
Regs Natt

Thanks Natt, I tried a few colours and patterns, including, a nice one that was yellow and red that I would have eaten, but not a sniff. Tried big, small, high in the water, low in the water, but all to no avail. Pleased to hear that you had success, but so far, getting up towards Gisburn, we've hardly seen or felt anything, between the two of us, after many trips. Next possible trip will be on Sat or Sun, depending on how other things pan out, but whichever it is, I'll try and stick to red and yellow, and I certainly haven't given up hope. (y)

Clitheroe Kid

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Clitheroe Angling Association? I often walk between West Bradford and Grindleton, most of which, judging by the signs, they seem to control. There are some lovely looking pools there, but amazingly I've never seen anyone fishing all season.

They don't have a website, and operate as a (rather wealthy!) limited company, so I assume they're not interested in attracting new members. However, I'd definitely be interested in joining, if only to fish on the stretch mentioned, and any information about what water they have, membership fees, contact points etc would be very welcome.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
I've fished this club for thirty years and also I am one of the directors, so can answer all your questions. My e-mails are not working so I need help in having it repaired. The lad I use, and have done for years, is locked down in France until the middle of this month. If anybody out there knows a good reliable IT chap who could have a look at it for me I would be very grateful.

I'm not up to doing too much as present having just come through two eye operations and then a new hip fit last week, so I'm not following everything at present. Michael contact me via phone if you wish and I will provide the info you require. 01200 423314
Fred.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
I've fished this club for thirty years and also I am one of the directors, so can answer all your questions. My e-mails are not working so I need help in having it repaired. The lad I use, and have done for years, is locked down in France until the middle of this month. If anybody out there knows a good reliable IT chap who could have a look at it for me I would be very grateful.

I'm not up to doing too much as present having just come through two eye operations and then a new hip fit last week, so I'm not following everything at present. Michael contact me via phone if you wish and I will provide the info you require. 01200 423314
Fred.
Hope your OK Fred and up and about on the river soon
Natt

budge

Reaction score

Fred.
Can't help with the it Fred but glad to hear you're getting there.

Rennie

Reaction score
I'm a member too!, you've not looked in the right spots for me!,I'll be there in the background some where.
Feel free to PM me, happy to help if I can.
Pedro.

long Preston

Reaction score

Fred.
you don't do things by halves do you? - need anyone to walk the dog Fred?-take care with the hip, the op was a miracle for my Dad