Ribble 2020

budge

Reaction score
Makes you wonder budge why they bother running the river at all if they're not going to spawn ? Then apparently they return to sea in spring :rolleyes: Give us the heads up when the next run's coming in as your lower down than me. I see quite a few went over the counter in July!
A couple seen today off the tide and lost yet another myself hooked on the dangle as I was stripping line, had it on long enough to think it was well hooked but spat the hook as it swam towards me. Is there a method to make them stick when that happens ? If there is can someone let me in on the secret.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

FLYSPY

Reaction score
A couple seen today off the tide and lost yet another myself hooked on the dangle as I was stripping line, had it on long enough to think it was well hooked but spat the hook as it swam towards me. Is there a method to make them stick when that happens ? If there is can someone let me in on the secret.

Wind really fast!

FLYSPY

Reaction score
I asked for that I meant making them stick when they take on the dangle, most seem to come off sooner or later.

I’ve tried all sorts to stop them coming off but sometimes it’s not meant to be. It’s almost like they are hooked right on the tip of the Kype and when they start to get level with you the hooks comes out.

budge

Reaction score
I’ve tried all sorts to stop them coming off but sometimes it’s not meant to be. It’s almost like they are hooked right on the tip of the Kype and when they start to get level with you the hooks comes out.
Yep I've heard that said before, very frustrating.

doubletaper

Reaction score
Hardest ones to hook properly Budge them on the dangle apparently, we just seem to get runs of lost fish sometimes. great to hear some seen coming off the tide though. Must get up next week and have a chuck with my new Red Francis's :)

sutty

Reaction score
Because of the nature of the river where I fish, deep channel far side, and progressively getting shallower as it swings round to our side, unless it's a big river, they don't come over to our side, so we hardly ever get a take on the dangle. By the time it's big enough for fish to be on our side, and to be enticed like that, it's normally too fast and deep to wade.

Nearly every take we ever get is two thirds of the way across, well before it's parallel to the banks, but I still manage to lose plenty, lol.

budge

Reaction score
It's usually a seatrout that snatches the fly when stripping back to recast and they invariably come off after a few splashes. Just got to put it down to bad luck i suppose.

Rennie

Reaction score
Well seeing as how the season is still Blankety Blank for me, I'm off fishing Friday no matter what, don't care I've got to make the effort to catch a fish.I'm anticipating switch rods and wee flee's and getting the backside into gear and searching out fish then worrying them to death with the content's of several flee box's whilst clutching copies of Francis Grant, Hugh Falkus and the Beano and Dandy!
Just warning you all now, be prepared for the vocal anguish at full volume just after dark fall when I've blanked one more time!.
Well, it'll be better than work!
Pedro.

Warwick I

Reaction score
Good luck. I will be giving it a go tomorrow with the tackle scaled right down for the residents in the pools in these low water conditions see if I can get a tug which would be more than I got fishing on the Spey last week never seen has many Salmon every pool was stuffed with them and not a pull a few swirls at a Sun Ray that was it just two caught between six of us, same on the Eden on Sunday Salmon showing in decent numbers in the pools they were well potted nobody had a pull.

budge

Reaction score
Been out for a few hours this morning without a sniff. I did see a big old kipper flop out but nothing else showing. River lowest it's been for weeks but still a tinge of colour in it. Could do with a drop of water to accompany this week's big tides.
Good luck guys.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Here are the fish counts through our Waddow counter for August.

Number of fish counted up 328 counted down 108 Fish counted up under 4 lbs 67 Number of fish counted over 4lbs 153

Rennie

Reaction score
I'm not greedy Fred, I only want the one, no matter how small, coloured and beaten up, just one!
P.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
I'm not greedy Fred, I only want the one, no matter how small, coloured and beaten up, just one!
P.
Neither am I Pete, I'd just like to be able to go on the river for a cast. I'm sure the pools you fish will give up one or two for you before the season ends.
Tight lines.
Fred.

budge

Reaction score
Here are the fish counts through our Waddow counter for August.

Number of fish counted up 328 counted down 108 Fish counted up under 4 lbs 67 Number of fish counted over 4lbs 153
Just wondering how accurate the down counts are Fred ? Can the counter differentiate between branches etc and fish ?

doubletaper

Reaction score
Good luck. I will be giving it a go tomorrow with the tackle scaled right down for the residents in the pools in these low water conditions see if I can get a tug which would be more than I got fishing on the Spey last week never seen has many Salmon every pool was stuffed with them and not a pull a few swirls at a Sun Ray that was it just two caught between six of us, same on the Eden on Sunday Salmon showing in decent numbers in the pools they were well potted nobody had a pull.
Seen the same on the North Tyne a few years ago, loads of fish coming through but playing Very Hard to get ( I think they were all females though! ) :ROFLMAO:

Rennie

Reaction score
There's a pattern emerging here!.Out yesterday, in the water at 6:20 am and still there at 19:30pm.
Serious head on now, rigged two Switch rods, 6 weight with long tapered leader to 13lb Co- Polymer and 1/4' tubes and wee dressed Terribles, the 7 weight with a heavier more aggressive tapered leader, 13lb Fluro. and 1/2" to 1 " copper Francis tubes.
Every pool got the two runs approach, small flee+ carefull quiet precise presentation, followed by the francis- cast square and allowed to trundle before tightening then a twitchy retrieve back to the next cast.Pools with known lays then got a dead drift presentation through the hot spot for a few mins.
Two good pools got a bigger flee fished fast n high n quickly through the pool, followed by a second more leisurely amble through with the wee flee nice n slow.
I caught the sum total of two wee Brownies and a tidgy Grayling.I saw two fish show in my fav. pool at 8 am, and shortly after another in the pool above while feeding the face.I got straight over that one, it was in a known to me spot, I put the wee tube bang on its nose and something took it the second it landed and then went doolally tap under the surface, I got it calm, back on the reel and just moving back towards me and it fell off, a matter of 30 secs. maybe?
I don't think it was the fish that showed as it was no where near heavy enough (that one had both weight and presence to create quite a disturbance when it showed!) and the longer I reeled it back the smaller I projected its size.Honestly?, wee Sea Trout or a very small Grilse at the best.
That was my excitement for the day!
Saw and felt nothing else. Yes Lady Ribble was low, guessing a few inches on at best, but in good nick, clean and clear.
I'd honestly expect fish to be laid up now, showing in the favourite spots, but sadly I get the impression there's sod all there!.
One disturbing factor, in that one of the best pools and one thats a personal favourite has developed a unique feature!
Twice a day there's a young lass comes down with her Horse and walks it into the river and up n down through the lay for no other reason other than she can!, I can see why fish USED! to lay there, deeper than one thinks on the Horse depth measuring scale, but that pool is now, well you know.
Frustrating when I was calling on that bit of water to produce a fish for me!.
For a change I was really good, didn't blow my top and go into a rant, but walked away muttering under the breath.She was a lot better than Julia Roberts any way!,lol.
Up side to all this?, at least I'm not getting nasty wet smelly slimy hands any more.
Pedro.

Ribble Rod

Reaction score
Just wondering how accurate the down counts are Fred ? Can the counter differentiate between branches etc and fish ?

The counter at Waddow. These days because it's never been check calibrated for years is hard to say just how accurate the fish counts are. I tend to use it now as an indicator on the runs of fish then compare the figures with what anglers see upstream of Waddow and catch. This is when fish are running and taking, until like at present, they become uninterested in showing or taking.
The numbers are checked at the end of every month by one of the EA staff in the Penrith office, and he also has to determine from the counts which are fish as opposed to any other debris floating down. This lad has done it for years and provides the counts for us so is very reliable and knows what he is doing. We are, I suppose, fortunate that at least we have some indicator as to what is running unlike most other rivers.
The count is triggered when a fish moves across three metal strips set in the floor of the counter channel showing whether it's a fish under 50 cm or one over 50 cm

budge

Reaction score
The counter at Waddow. These days because it's never been check calibrated for years is hard to say just how accurate the fish counts are. I tend to use it now as an indicator on the runs of fish then compare the figures with what anglers see upstream of Waddow and catch. This is when fish are running and taking, until like at present, they become uninterested in showing or taking.
The numbers are checked at the end of every month by one of the EA staff in the Penrith office, and he also has to determine from the counts which are fish as opposed to any other debris floating down. This lad has done it for years and provides the counts for us so is very reliable and knows what he is doing. We are, I suppose, fortunate that at least we have some indicator as to what is running unlike most other rivers.
The count is triggered when a fish moves across three metal strips set in the floor of the counter channel showing whether it's a fish under 50 cm or one over 50 cm
Thanks for taking the time to answer Fred. Seems to be a bit of a strange season this year ? Opinions between anglers seems to range from dire with few fish about to heaving with fish. This seems to depend on which part of the river you are fishing and what methods you are using. The fish seem to disappear once above Calder foot ?
Some of the bait fishers on the lower river are having a good season but many of the fly fishers are having a lean time.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have fished every day over the last week both fly and spinner below Dinkley and had about 12 sea trout to between 2 and 4lb all fish had been in for a while but still clean and silver ish
I would have thought the given the conditions an the amount of time on the water a salmon or two would have made an appearance but no joy on that one
I will be out again over the weekend hoping to get my second Salmon of the season off the Ribble
Hope all are well
Tight lines and stay safe
Natt

budge

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have fished every day over the last week both fly and spinner below Dinkley and had about 12 sea trout to between 2 and 4lb all fish had been in for a while but still clean and silver ish
I would have thought the given the conditions an the amount of time on the water a salmon or two would have made an appearance but no joy on that one
I will be out again over the weekend hoping to get my second Salmon of the season off the Ribble
Hope all are well
Tight lines and stay safe
Natt
Just wondering if the ST were intentional or accidents ? 12 in a week is good going, I haven't had 12 in 3 seasons whilst salmon fishing ! Only time I seem to hook them is when stripping line back to recast and they usually come off. Maybe the difference between catching salmon and ST is down to speed and size of fly ? I tend to use bigger flies than most and fish them quite slow.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Hi Budge
had about 5 on a size 10 cascade the rest on a 15 gram black and orange flying c
The ones on the fly were just on the turn at the back end of the cast just off the dangle
The flying c were slightly upstream and across the run
So I guess it was fishing quite quickly
Normal tac tics for this time of year just surprised no salmon amongst them
Natt

budge

Reaction score
Hi Budge
had about 5 on a size 10 cascade the rest on a 15 gram black and orange flying c
The ones on the fly were just on the turn at the back end of the cast just off the dangle
The flying c were slightly upstream and across the run
So I guess it was fishing quite quickly
Normal tac tics for this time of year just surprised no salmon amongst them
Natt
Another factor is probably location ? I don't tend to fish the tails of pools and shallower glides where the ST lie except in high water. It's good to hear they're still there in good numbers.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Hi all
Had a bit of a strange evening I fished well below Ribchester on big ribble not enough flow for the fly so spinning was the method that suited
After fishing the ribble for over 40 years I had never caught a pike but this evening I had 4 all perfect fish 3 of about 1lb and one of about 4lb also had the biggest chub I have ever caught at about 6 lb non of the fish were weighed so could be a little smaller or bigger
I also hooked into a very big fish I didn't see it but played it for 10 minutes and it was very powerful run after run great scrap and then gone I was gutted but thats fishing. The biggest fish I have ever had off the ribble was 22 lb and this may not have been that big but I would say well into double figures
So really enjoyed my few hours on the water
Tight lines Natt

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Hi all
Had a bit of a strange evening I fished well below Ribchester on big ribble not enough flow for the fly so spinning was the method that suited
After fishing the ribble for over 40 years I had never caught a pike but this evening I had 4 all perfect fish 3 of about 1lb and one of about 4lb also had the biggest chub I have ever caught at about 6 lb non of the fish were weighed so could be a little smaller or bigger
I also hooked into a very big fish I didn't see it but played it for 10 minutes and it was very powerful run after run great scrap and then gone I was gutted but thats fishing. The biggest fish I have ever had off the ribble was 22 lb and this may not have been that big but I would say well into double figures
So really enjoyed my few hours on the water
Tight lines Natt

Sounds like an interesting evening. The water wouldn't have reached there yet. Started to rise at the top this morning and peaking at around 1 metre this pm. Lots more rain around so could be a big water tomorrow, settling down over Friday and the weekend.