Ribble 2020

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Supposed to dry up later on today then seemingly dry over the weekend so could be some good fishing conditions right through the weekend and Monday.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Hi guys
Glad to see the lads on the upper are catching plenty
Unfortunately on big ribble below Ribchester the water has been unfishable this week so I have spent a bit of time on the fly tying vice
I was wondering what change in fly you use at this time of year
I tend to use a bit more red and slightly larger hooks
The fly below i call the big ribble shrimp it seams to work a little better than the orange or yellow i use in the earlier sommer months
Just thought i would ask
Hope all are well
Tight lines Natt

Natt,

It's been big on the big Ribble this week but not unfishable, if heard of 5 or 6 caught below Ribchester last few days and I'm sure there were more iv not heard of. Granted not ideal conditions and like you iv not ventured out though been busy but the lads who have faced the conditions have done ok.

My first trip out in two weeks tomoz with the father in law as my guest. We fishing fly only above clitheroe so fingers crossed.

Tight lines

Clitheroe Kid

Reaction score
Interesting to see a fine fish caught on (I'm guessing) a spinner, and it got me thinking. How many posters use spinners (I'm using the word loosely to cover all lures that aren't flies) and what are your criteria for doing so?

Would you use a spinner even though the water was OK for fishing the fly? I know many fly fishers seem to think that spinning is one step removed from poaching, but I must admit that I've always enjoyed it for a change - and it's certainly very effective.

I've also wondered why it's banned on so many waters, or only allowed when the water's above a certain height. I can certainly see one legitimate reason for banning it being the damage a big treble - even a debarbed one - will do to a small fish compared to a single fly hook, but I suspect the main reason it's banned is that it's just too successful compared to the fly.

I'd be interested to hear people's views.

budge

Reaction score
Interesting to see a fine fish caught on (I'm guessing) a spinner, and it got me thinking. How many posters use spinners (I'm using the word loosely to cover all lures that aren't flies) and what are your criteria for doing so?

Would you use a spinner even though the water was OK for fishing the fly? I know many fly fishers seem to think that spinning is one step removed from poaching, but I must admit that I've always enjoyed it for a change - and it's certainly very effective.

I've also wondered why it's banned on so many waters, or only allowed when the water's above a certain height. I can certainly see one legitimate reason for banning it being the damage a big treble - even a debarbed one - will do to a small fish compared to a single fly hook, but I suspect the main reason it's banned is that it's just too successful compared to the fly.

Fly only for me but only because I don't enjoy spinning as much and get chronic backache after 20 minutes.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

dave_n

Reaction score

I prefer the fly but if the conditions are not conducive then I'm happy to spin.
I always thought that spinning was just chucking tin but like many things, there is an art to it if you want to be successful.
I don't think I'd ever spin for small fish and all my spinners have the trebles paired down to smaller barbless hooks.
It's funny how much time we spend in fly selection and then when the water rises we chuck a bent piece of copper!

sutty

Reaction score
I prefer dry fly, which is a shame, because I can't get salmon that way, so I persist with wet fly most of the time, just on the off chance of a salmon, because it's an experience like no other, in my opinion. Sometimes, if they are rising, and I get fed up, I'll switch, especially if I've seen a nice fish with a consistent rise, but mostly the lure of the salmon keeps me from trying my preferred type of fishing. As for spinning, I will only try if the water is too big for fly, and I have had a salmon that way, using a medium sized mepps. I had no idea it was somewhat frowned upon.

I'm with Budge on the back thing though. I struggle with my back all the time, when standing, so any fly fishing is tough, but spinning does me in, in double quick time, so it doesn't get a look in very often, even if it's the only type of fishing likely to work. I'd rather free line a worm, or ledger to be honest, and have seen both of those methods work many times, in the hands of my father, and his friend. My father's friend was a master at free line worm down the edge of a big water. He somehow knew just where to put it, and when describing what he was doing, he'd say, with a big grin on his face, "Oh, it's very exciting, you're just waiting for that little tap, tap, tap, and then boom, you're in!" and more often than not, he would be.

I've had some big fish in the mouth of becks doing that, but never a salmon, but I know it works, because I've seen it.

Monday is cancelled for me, so it's looking like Wed or Thu. Probably all the fun will be over by then, knowing my luck.

grousekeeper

Reaction score
I use the general practioner fly a lot... seem s to work on fresh fish and back end fish.... good for now on till end of season....

barbonboy

Reaction score
I suffered for many years with a bad back, whilst spinning I was advised to change from a fixed spool reel to a multiplier. For me this worked. I can now spin all day, not that I want too, and never suffer a bad back..

budge

Reaction score
I suffered for many years with a bad back, whilst spinning I was advised to change from a fixed spool reel to a multiplier. For me this worked. I can now spin all day, not that I want too, and never suffer a bad back..
Might be my excuse to buy a vintage Abu multiplier

Warwick I

Reaction score
i haven't used a spinner for a while now just because I soon get bored with it. When I did spin with the Flying C s I started using had a big barbless single Hook on them, the fish caught on it were always hooked the scissors none of the deep hooked ones which I had problems with when I used treble hooks and with the Rapala' s I used a free running single treble attached to the middle of the lure which stopped the Salmon from levering the lure off. That,s when I fished the Big Ribble, . Where I fish now if it was big water over two and half foot with the Salmon moving right into the bank side out of the full force of the river I used to fish the Rapala fly like on the inside line, this method worked well. Love multipliers much more pleasant to use than Fix spool reels, that's on my Beach Casting Rods mine.

Last edited:

doubletaper

Reaction score

Just came back from the Border Esk and had a very fruitful few days ( on a floating Rapala ) there where about 20 odd fish caught in two days fishing on the beat and not one was caught on the fly? I spent a good few hours fishing the fly and my mate fished the fly for the full two days without a single enquiry! I find the floating rap very easy to fish and fish it down and across like the fly hardly cranking and it doesn't do my back in nearly as much as some of the heavier lures, I am slowly reverting to single hooks on them with low diameter nylon attached to braid holding the middle hook. Very fish friendly IMO and just as easy to unhook carefully and watch Salar swim away to spawn as intended. I DO enjoy the Fly more though :) Only my opinion but my mate who I fish with says you fish to the conditions that suit catching ( as long as it's legal & fish friendly )

SP8

Reaction score
Fly only for me but only because I don't enjoy spinning as much and get chronic backache after 20 minutes.

Ditto. what is it about spinning that makes your back ache? I can fish the fly rod all day without issue but 20 minutes with a spinning rod and the backs gone. Generally I am not in favour of banning any method unless it can be shown to be detrimental to the fish. Horses for courses.

SP8

budge

Reaction score
Ditto. what is it about spinning that makes your back ache? I can fish the fly rod all day without issue but 20 minutes with a spinning rod and the backs gone. Generally I am not in favour of banning any method unless it can be shown to be detrimental to the fish. Horses for courses.

SP8
My sentiments exactly.Theres many a time a wander with a spinning rod would be a better bet than fly but I can't be doing with the aches now.

Reactions: SP8

castaway

Reaction score
What i can never understand is if i spin for half a day,( reel dont help its a baitrunner 6000, not ideal for spinning as yer fingers just dont sit right with it) im not in pain but feel uncomfortable, shoulder and back pain, but i can use a 15' fly rod all day without much aches. The spinning rod is an old 13' shakespeare with reversible handle, will chuck a decent line out if need be and doubles up as a coarse rod too, i think it cost 35 quid 40 years ago, never had the need to change .
Any fish off lower river yet, im going out tomorow lower down fingers crossed.

budge

Reaction score
What i can never understand is if i spin for half a day,( reel dont help its a baitrunner 6000, not ideal for spinning as yer fingers just dont sit right with it) im not in pain but feel uncomfortable, shoulder and back pain, but i can use a 15' fly rod all day without much aches. The spinning rod is an old 13' shakespeare with reversible handle, will chuck a decent line out if need be and doubles up as a coarse rod too, i think it cost 35 quid 40 years ago, never had the need to change .
Any fish off lower river yet, im going out tomorow lower down fingers crossed.
Fish been caught on lower river this week on spinner. Should be good fly water tomorrow

happy days

Reaction score
Fished upper river today then dropped down about 11 mile for teatime and fished till dark on good water overcast and gentle breeze, no joy, saw a kingfisher and a mink that came close enough for me to give it a wack with the rod :)

doubletaper

Reaction score
Light Wychwood 9'6" spinning rod fitted to a Shimano Exage 4000 reel and 20 lb braid attached to a Floating rapala isn't to bad on my dodgy back though I am feeling it after a few hours! My Shakespeare Oracle 11'6" switch rod with the Barrio 8 line is the easiest on my old frame for the day though I need a break or two nowadays. Dares I say it there's always the worm & shrimp which some folk still do and you'll be able to do 18 holes the day after as well because your joints aren't throbbing :unsure: I admit I fished the worm for a few hours the other day but it was very relaxing and enjoyed the fly in the afternoon as I like to pace myself so I have enough energy to get to the boozer afterwards!

happy days

Reaction score
I haven't spun for a number of years and it used to kill my back with normal 10ft spinning rods hardy and diawa, I then got an 8ft sonik rod and never had a problem, caught a few fish on it as well, x rap rapala was my favourite, red feather on the tail.

Rennie

Reaction score
Never spun Rbble at all so far.I've had a lifetime of match fishing and bait fishing for coarse fish.Now its time to do my own thing, have to say blank so far this year, but enjoy every second of casting and fishing with the flee!.If the unthinkable finally happens this year, it'll give me a lot of pleasure and self satisfaction, like as not it'll be on a self tied flee to boot!.
Pedro.

gook

Reaction score
Work has a lot to answer for!, well done Pete, you deserved that day ?
Pedro.
Great to hear of so much activity and success I wish work was my reason for missing out. Took our Doris out for a lovely meal and drinks (well it was at the time) last Monday. Never been so ill. Initially thought it was a hangover to surpass all hangovers' after copious of alcohol then COViD after a raging temperature but thankfully came back negative. I'm convinced now the Peanut and Sesame Duck Satay Starter being the Villian. Still nowhere near right if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

castaway

Reaction score
Fished all afternoon up till bats coming out time... never saw a fish, river in perfect conditions... Rage floater with intermediate tip and allys shrimp tube.. I can see why my mates pay big money to fish the Tay., the Ribble is crap imo, lower down that is.