Ribble 2020

Warwick I

Reaction score
Drove over Ribble Head yesterday the becks, bogs and river were all full up there On the subject of falling in the river, I took a friend fishing on the Ribble a few weeks ago good water just under 2ft caught a nice Salmon my mate caught some Trout good day, till were moving to the next pool my mate put on his back pack and overbalance, falling backwards from the 4 ft high bank into 5ft of fast flowing water floating on his back out of reach down river till he reach some trees 10 yards down stream grabbing on to a branch. problem here was he was weigh down on his back , with his backpack which he managed to wriggle out of with one hand hanging on to the branch with the other one, then he was then able to turn round now I could just reach him and help him up this high bank by grabbing his coat. Very scary I give him credit he did not panic and did a Hugh Falkus perfectly.

Last edited:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Drove over Ribble Head yesterday the becks, bogs and river were all full up there On the subject of falling in the river, I took a friend fishing on the Ribble a few weeks ago good water just under 2ft caught a nice Salmon my mate caught some Trout good day, till were moving to the next pool my mate put on his back pack and overbalance, falling backwards from the 4 ft high bank into 5ft of fast flowing water floating on his back out of reach down river till he reach some trees 10 yards down stream grabbing on to a branch. problem here was he was weigh down on his back , with his backpack which he managed to wriggle out of with one hand hanging on to the branch with the other one, then he was then able to turn round now I could just reach him and help him up this high bank by grabbing his coat. Very scary I give him credit he did not panic and did a Hugh Falkus perfectly.

Sounds a bit scary, glad it ended well !

budge

Reaction score
Glad it ended well, not a nice situation for either of you.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

budge

Reaction score
Sitting at work glued to the webcams and river height gauges, will I actually make it to the river on Friday for the first time in 7 weeks? Place your bets now......
I can't see it if the weather forecast is to be believed.

budge

Reaction score
"Much better day today with a few showers in the West" so said the BBC weather this morning. It's been p-ing down for the past hour and half now with no sign of stopping. The usual case of emphasis on weather in the South and glossing over what's due elsewhere.

sutty

Reaction score
Wow, yeah, very scary. Kudos to your friend for not panicking. Very pleased for both of you that the outcome was not worse.

River is pretty big right now, but can't go again until Monday, so thinking it might be quite good by then. Well, maybe hoping rather than thinking, lol.

SP8

Reaction score
Had a mixed day today on our upper Ribble beat. The river looked so inviting I decided to dive in backwards off the bank in the afternoon (seems to be a common occurrence). Water not too deep but very wet. Shortly after I had a take that ripped line off the reel and then nothing and then a few yards further on my figure of eight retrieve went solid I was surprised to find myself attached to about 10 pounds of angry Ribble salmon. It's at this point when you are thigh deep against a grass bank when you realise leaving the net in the van probably wasn't your best idea. After the best fight I've had from a salmon for a while I managed to get its head on the grass and my hand on its tale long enough to take a crap photo and get the hook out. I did think of having a warming coffee at this point to celebrate but thought "where there's one" and would you believe it there was. 3 or 4 casts later I was into his slightly smaller mate. Another tense landing and he swam off strongly. The deadly fly was a size 10 pearly Cascade on a 10ft slow sink poly. To say I was chuffed is an understatement. Can't remember the last time I landed two salmon in a day.

SP8

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Had a mixed day today on our upper Ribble beat. The river looked so inviting I decided to dive in backwards off the bank in the afternoon (seems to be a common occurrence). Water not too deep but very wet. Shortly after I had a take that ripped line off the reel and then nothing and then a few yards further on my figure of eight retrieve went solid I was surprised to find myself attached to about 10 pounds of angry Ribble salmon. It's at this point when you are thigh deep against a grass bank when you realise leaving the net in the van probably wasn't your best idea. After the best fight I've had from a salmon for a while I managed to get its head on the grass and my hand on its tale long enough to take a crap photo and get the hook out. I did think of having a warming coffee at this point to celebrate but thought "where there's one" and would you believe it there was. 3 or 4 casts later I was into his slightly smaller mate. Another tense landing and he swam off strongly. The deadly fly was a size 10 pearly Cascade on a 10ft slow sink poly. To say I was chuffed is an understatement. Can't remember the last time I landed two salmon in a day.

SP8

Well done Pete! Made up for you and you deserve that. One or two more caught today too. Roll on weekend for me.

Reactions: SP8

Warwick I

Reaction score
Good fly water today after yesterdays spate, this fish took a Red Francis cone head tube, one of five caught nearly everyone fishing had a fish this morning.
DSCF0702.JPG

budge

Reaction score
Couple of hours again on a high but falling middle river beat. Only a small brownie for my efforts and saw nowt. Feeling a bit sore this morning after a felt sole and muddy bank altercation that probably looked like something from a Charlie Chaplin movie, ending in me flailing about flat on my back. A quick look round an no one about to witness it I've been trying to keep my waders and boots going till the end of the season with copious amounts of Gorilla glue but I'm fighting a losing battle, the studs resemble shiny rivets now.

natthargreaves

Reaction score
Hi guys
Glad to see the lads on the upper are catching plenty
Unfortunately on big ribble below Ribchester the water has been unfishable this week so I have spent a bit of time on the fly tying vice
I was wondering what change in fly you use at this time of year
I tend to use a bit more red and slightly larger hooks
The fly below i call the big ribble shrimp it seams to work a little better than the orange or yellow i use in the earlier sommer months
Just thought i would ask
Hope all are well
Tight lines Natt

Attachments

• 20200828_122803.jpg
    20200828_122803.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • 20200828_122753.jpg
    20200828_122753.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • 20200828_122730.jpg
    20200828_122730.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76

SP8

Reaction score
Hi guys
Glad to see the lads on the upper are catching plenty
Unfortunately on big ribble below Ribchester the water has been unfishable this week so I have spent a bit of time on the fly tying vice
I was wondering what change in fly you use at this time of year
I tend to use a bit more red and slightly larger hooks
The fly below i call the big ribble shrimp it seams to work a little better than the orange or yellow i use in the earlier sommer months
Just thought i would ask
Hope all are well
Tight lines Natt
I'm sure that will work well, red seems to be popular with the backend fish. I use simply red or red allys if I want a red fly. A calvins shrimp has also been good for me on both Ribble and Tyne.

SP8